Chris-Ottawa

Camera Opinion - Small Sidemount

Hey there,

I've been hunting for a new camera, but they seem to be stuck in a "who's gonna win" phase.

I know I can't buy a HDD model or DVD model, so that limits me to SD and MiniDV. Then I have to consider the Image stabilizer, ability to accept a conversion lens and AV input.

I've been hunting and ideally I want a small sidemount. After countless hours of searching, I found this model. It's not HD, but that;s ok at this point.

Camera is:

Upsides
-Inexpensive ($350)
-Tiny (2.18 x 2.68 x 4.37 (WHD, in inches), weighing 9.6 ounces with card and battery)
-Electronic Image Stabilizer
-30.5mm Lens threads
-AV input
-SD Card storage

Downsides
-Not a popular brand
-No firewire....(but then again, it's on an SD card)
-Quality may be lacking?

Please let me know if you've seen this camera, and based on it's features, would it make a decent cam? I'm not concerned about HD, I want something tiny, something with decent quality and cheap is good.

http://camcorder.jvc.com/product.jsp?productId=PRD1209000&pathId=161

Thanks

CHris
"When once you have tasted flight..."

chris,

i found this while doing comparision sizing on your camera

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665086471&storeId=10151

camera is $ 152 and $ 212 with a 3 year full coverage warranty and free shipping.. sony is a tried and true brand and holds up to skydiving abuse. the only down side to this particular model is the lack of lanc port.. use the money you saved to buy a lens, tapes, and beers for your first camera jumps..

woohoo
dont let life pass you by

Then I have to consider the Image stabilizer, ability to accept a conversion lens and AV input.
I've been hunting and ideally I want a small sidemount. After countless hours of searching, I found this model.

Thanks for the research, I have exactly the same need and you prolly just sold me one of these. ;)

I don't want to deal with tapes anymore - (all mini DV cameras that I know end up dying of tape problems). I just need it for debriefing purposes and the ocasional tandem.

Only real downside for me is the 1/6-inch, 680,000-pixel CCD. I would be willing to pay a grand or two more for something with a better lens/CCD combo but haven't found anything better with the characteristics you mention.

Carlos Martins
Portugal www.cj.smugmug.com

(all mini DV cameras that I know end up dying of tape problems)

I have had the opposite experience, and have been amazed at how sturdy mini-DV transports are. I have had scads of DV and mini-DV cameras (all Sony), with untold thousands of hours on them (including lots of freefall). Never have I had a tape transport problem. Not one. It is particularly amazing when you consider how precise the tape/head contact has to be, and how we punish these cameras in skydiving.

While I thnk the handwriting is on the wall for the death of tape-based cams (and I can appreciate getting the weight of the transport and battery off of my neck), I personally will miss the simplicity, archivability (real word), and reliability of these cameras.

I agree with Phil! I have 2 Sony HC-40's both with at least 300 jumps each and have never had and problems with them! Just keep the heads clean and you should have a long service life from them!B|

"You made my panties wet!" Skymama (Fitz 09)
"Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd post an update. I bought the camera today because it suited all my current needs, minus the AV input (so I later found out). NOt having AV input for a cameye or whetever is a minor problem for me. I can add a remote LED later.

This camera is TINY. There are a few similar competitors namely Canon with the FS100 and FS10 and FS11. Then you jump into the HD models and they grow in size and price, as well as features.

All this being said, the camera has already been returned for a couple reasons.

A) You cannot record with the screen closed, unless you have the video screen side showing. You may be able to trick the camera though.

B)Quality is not quite there. My MiniDV cam is my comparison, and it isn't quite as good, but I must admit it's close. Now, take this point with minimal consideration, as I used a standard SD card, not a SDHD or a high end "fast" card. I'm not entirely convinced that changing that would make the difference however I could be wrong.

C)Videos are recorded in ".MOD" file type. The camera says MPEG2, but it wouldn't play in any player I had, including VLC Player. You can only use the proprietary software to manage the video. Yes the MOD files are able to be moved off the camera, but nothing plays them.

I kept a copy of the videos to compare the quality on other cameras, but I think I'm gonna go HD if I'm going to buy an SD cam.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Chris

EDIT: (5 mins after posting the above info I felt the need to add this.)

I searched google and apparently if you rename the .MOD files to .MPG it will play in Windows Media Player....and it's true. Now, I may have to revoke what I said above because the quality in Media Player looks much better than when it was playing in the proprietary software. I may have to go and buy the camera again, then take it on a jump this weekend...with the proper SD card...

I'll update the thread with more info...

NOt having AV input for a cameye or whetever is a minor problem for me. I can add a remote LED later..

Chris,

There's a slight confusion there. AV input would allow you to input Audio/Video (from a lipstick/bullet camera, for instance) into the camera and use it as a recorder.

A LANC port would allow the use of a Cameye, but that is specific to some Sony's and a few Canons.

Phil,

I couldn't agree more with the sturdiness of the small Sony's workhorses. When one thinks in the complexity of tape trasnport mechanisms it's really amazing what they withstand. But my mini DV and the ones I see dying at my DZ are gone through tape transport problems. YMMV.

Carlos Martins

NOt having AV input for a cameye or whetever is a minor problem for me. I can add a remote LED later..

Chris,

There's a slight confusion there. AV input would allow you to input Audio/Video (from a lipstick/bullet camera, for instance) into the camera and use it as a recorder.

HYPEYE D PRO will allow you to plug into a D/AV port

HYPEYE D PRO will allow you to plug into a D/AV port

Hypeye D PRO will plug into Sony's D shaped AV out port. AFAIK it will only work with Sony camcorders.

What I mean is that A/V input (as Chris was looking for) is only needed if he intends to use the camcorder as a recorder.

Carlos Martins

Hey,

You are correct, but even though LANC is proprietary to Sony, any camera has the functionality. Just not through an easy little port. I'm not too concerned with the ability to start/stop the camera by a remote switch, I'm really only concerned that:
A) It's ON
B) It's recording.