DougH

Night jump stills?

Any thoughts or experinces?

I never had still taken OF me while on a night jump, so it is kind of hard to think about taken them BY me on a night jump.

Does the flash blind the subjects you are shooting?

Is it possible to get decent shots with the onboard flash of a normal digi SLR?

What sort of manual settings would you be aiming for to make the best of the conditions?
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I almost took stills on a night jump once. Tested the (onboard) flash in the dark though and found that I'd need to be REALLY close to get anything. Didn't think it was worth bothering for crappy pics (not to mention that I'd blind everyone else). There's enough to worry about on night jumps.

But once I get my big flash mounted... can't wait!

Dave

I have done a "sunset" tandem before and been totally blinded by the flash. Glad I had an functioning audible.
Here is an alternative to a flash.

http://www.cinemagadgets.com/litepanels-micro-p-1491.html
Your eyes could adjust to it in freefall, just hope they are back to normal for landing. :o

As for a flash I would go with http://www.shopcartusa.com/P_Canon_Speedlite_580EX_II_Flash_1946B002/PT_Y/?ic_campID=98
but I don't have the extra cash right now so that isnt going to happen.

Dave

LifeshouldNOTbeajourneytothegravewithawellpreservedbody,buttskidinsideways,cigarinone hand,martiniintheother,bodythoroughlyused upandscreaming:"WOO HOO!! What a ride!!!"

I have done night jump stills, i use a 550ex with my rebel xti.....just remember to take you camera OFF auto focus as it will never settle in on anythng at night, you will have to shoot manual focus. And mine was of RW formations, above and below, so subjects werent looking directly at the flash, they never said anything about being blinded.
"Professor of Pimpology"~~~Bolas

I allways thought shooting video was cheap until I added stills to the show. :D

I guess I was just spoiled by a killer price on a used pc350, and good deal on the helmet for it.

I think it is time to try to insure my helmet setup with all the stuff I have bolted on there now. :ph34r:

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Does the flash blind the subjects you are shooting?

Is it possible to get decent shots with the onboard flash of a normal digi SLR?

It varies from subject to subject, Generally a quick camera flash doesn't ruin night vision. It can be tested on the ground with the individual subject. It personally doesn't affect my night vision whatsoever, I had some stills taken of me on the last night helicopter jump we did.

We used an XTI with the built in flash for my pictures, the up close picture turned out with good results (camera was about 5 feet from me), one from 25 or 30 feet away didn't turn out near as well, but it still wasn't blurry/wavy like alot of night shots end up being.

da gimp is right on the money,, go full manual.. i used 200 (flash sinc for rebel xt) F8, iso 100, and 580 exII set at manual 1/1.. i was about 15 feet away above and to the side. pics turned out fine. flash makes a good blinky under canopy too !!!!

p
dont let life pass you by

use a slow shutter speed to attempt to capture some ambient (if it exists at all... dusk images will almost always look better...)

use your flash to "stop: the action, and cut thru the blur..

remeber, your flash only cares about your aperature, use your shutter to control ambient exposure, and your aperature to control your flash.
-b