huckfinn

Settings for Sony HD- HC5

First off, I did many searches and can't seem to come up with anything solid.

I thought I had seen something posted by DSE, possibly a link to one of his pages?

I just got an HC5 and was wondering if I could pick your brains as to what you think are some basic settings to use to start, as well as some more advanced things to think about.

For background, I have over 2000 jumps with camera, but it was all PC series and I never did anything other than set focus and possibly use beach-n-ski mode for overcast days.

One last question; do Sony DVM60PRR tapes (regular premium tapes that I have lots of) use AME II? This is what DSE posted as being required to use for HD recording. I did some google searches for this as well but to no avail.

I have lurked this forum on and off for some time and have learned much, thanks.

-Rob

I jump mine with focus to infinity (you have to re-set manual focus everyday with this camera), wideangle adapter setting on, anti-shake off. I record in HDV (on regular sony tapes) and output 16:9 DV to my PC for editing. Sometimes I turn on the viewfinder grid. Auto turn-off is set to 5 mins.

Sometimes on the ground I use the slow-mo smooth recording feature but basically these are all the settings I use/need.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I have an HC5 with Raynox 0.3x wide angle. I zoom all the way out and set focus to Manual. The only other setting I mess with is the "Wide Converision Lens" selection - which is supposed to somehow optimize the EIS for that particular lens type (not sure if that results in optimum for freefall though:S).

As far as the tapes: not sure what "AME II" is - but the regular Sony tapes work great. No lost frames to-date (5 hours footage shot so far).

-----

Thanks Saskia. I have learned a few things from you, including not using an SD lens on my HD camera! ;)

I thought that with the HC5, it was best to leave the anti shake on, as it is not optical? I think I remember DSE even saying this. Have you had bad experiences with it on?

I take it the regular Premium tapes are fine for HD then, I can't find anything about AME II on any of their specs online. DME?

Thanks for your time.

I shoot without a wide-angle for outside video, and with a Raynox HD 3030 for inside video.

I do not turn off anti-shake or auto-focus and use the conv lens option when using the wide-angle.

I've gotten good results so far.

I've looked for AME II tapes, but couldn't find them. The regular Sony tapes work fine.

Huckfinn: I found this PDF somewhat informative
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

With optical it doesn;t matter much if you turn it on or off as it can still bounce around. With EIS I still turn it off as I can see a (small) difference in freefall, it saves on batteries and I mostly see it on openings, even with EIS off a hard-ish opening will seem like a "wave" sometimes but with EIS on it was very noticeable all the time. YMMV.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Why do you set wide angle adapter to on, but turn the anti-shake off? Thought the wide angle setting affected the EIS. Please explain. Thanks.

Hmm have to look that one up in the manual :$ I figured out these settings a loooong time ago and they work, must say I'm not entirely sure why I turn it on when a WA is attached although it certainly doesn't hurt :P

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Thanks Costyn and Saskia. I'll try a few different set ups and see what I like best, EIS on and off.

Costyn, I have never left auto focus on and gotten anything close to a good result. Maybe things are different with this camera...

I purchased a Century .55 low profile lens so I'm pretty sure I need to fix focus to use it, maybe you were talking about shooting without the wide angle.

Nice to get some real answers.

I use an HC5 with two different lens, I use a liquid .5 for the everyday jumping. With tle liquid lens I set the camera to manual, focused at .1 and the ant-shake off. I also have a centry optics HD lens, all the other settings are the same, but the manual focus is set to infinity. I love the clearity of the centry optics, but just dont jump a $350 dollar lens for everyday stuff.

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked