apdicenzo

FLASH MEMORY CAMCORDERS

I have been using the JVC series of memory card cameras (GZ-MC200 and MC500) for the last couple of years. The cameras came standard with a removable mini disc drive. Removing the mini disc and installing a CF flash card means the video will record with out the known problems of disc based memory systems and freefall. I have made about 300 jumps using this system and it works fantastically. The cameras are no longer available domestically in the U.S. and I have been investigating the latest collection of next generation cameras (Sony CX series and the Canon VIXIA series), and they appear to be similar with higher level video recording in 1080i. The problems with the next generation cameras is not the flash memory recording but the use of Optical Image Stabilisation. OIS doesn't appear to be able to cope with camera buffet in freefall that well. The next Sony camera (CX12) may be a different matter however generally the flash memory works really well.

I've been jumping the Samsung SC-HMX10C lately.
I love it. The quality is good, nice bright colors, 720p with decent optics and sensor. 8 gigs SD memory onboard + SD slot for another 8 gigs, plenty of recording time.
2 button operation (on / record).

Minus: the autofocus is on by default. Not a problem on a sunny day but must be turned off every time if it is a little foggy or on a sunset jump.
Nice plus: the diameter for the lens is the same as my old Sony PC-105 ;)