Jumpnfun2

Canon XT battery problems

I am having a problem getting decent batteries for my XT. The Canon ones I have bought (2) have both failed within 10-20 shots. In the air, on the ground, it does not seem to matter.
They won't re-charge, etc. At $70 plus shipping.
When I contacted Canon I was told I must have not adhered to the recommendations in the instructions.
No refund. The batteries were new when shipped.
Whatever.
The after market stuff is hit and miss. I have 2 that work wonderful most of the time. Other times they stop working in freefall for whatever reason. Bonus though, I only paid about $5 with shipping. I have also had the after market ones work great until landing. Then I had no response at all from the camera until I pull the battery and reload it into the camera. At that point I have a 'full' charge.?
The others are good at times, other times, not so much.
At this point I have like 6 batteries, and I label them as to their reliability.
All I'm looking for is something that I can rely on every time. That tandem student is paying for those shots, and I want to deliver them. Every time.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sue E

I find it very suspicisous that all of your batteries are crapping out on you.
Did you buy the extended warranty for the cam?
I would bet there is some kind of short in the battery compartment that is kill them.

Is the camera body the only common link between all of your batteries?
My photos

My Videos

The issue is not the batteries, it is the XT. You need to try another body and I'm pretty sure you are going to find that the issue goes away.

Loan your batteries to someone that has another camera and have them shot on the ground, the camera will just click away for 3-400 shots with out an issue.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I've been using the same two batteries for several years now with zero problems. I've also never heard of this and the XT series is probably the most ubiquitous camera in skydiving. It's probably your camera.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Loan your batteries to someone that has another camera and have them shot on the ground, the camera will just click away for 3-400 shots with out an issue.

Unless the camera body shorted the battery and partially killed the cell.
My photos

My Videos

Unless the camera body shorted the battery and partially killed the cell.

Hey,
Thanks to everyone for the advice, and sorry it took me so long to reply. There are some things I forgot to meantion in my 1st post.
I actually have loaned out the camera to others. No issues on the ground. I loaded the "good" aftermarket battery in last fall and used it all winter. Like 400 plus shots with flash. All good. Inside, outside in the dark. The Canon battery, not so much. Damn thing died within a few shots. The issue seems to be right after deployment and or landing. I don't know if it's the jarring invloved or something else. Needless to say that when this happens under canopy I'm stuck. After I land I can at least unmount the camera, pull the battery, put it back in, and I then have a full charge. I've cleaned the contacts inside of the camera, etc.
I've had the camera body checked out, clean bill of health. Now, I was also jumping a Protec at that time.
There was a good deal of flexing with the still mount going on. The video was mounted on top in a D-box, and the still was out front. The balance was not great to say the least, but it worked. The top of the still would actually show on and off in the video in freefall. I have since gotten a very nice new Flat Top Pro for Christmas. I have yet to jump it as I had hernia surgery in May. No jumping for me until at least August. Dammit. Anyway...
Thanks once again for any and all advice. I need to have this fixed before I go back up and take pics of a student for pay.
Sue E.

Take an eraser and scrub the contacts on the battery, then recharge it and see if it's any better. Another thing you might try (if cleaning the battery contacts doesn't work) is to put a couple strips of tape on the battery to "shim" it so that you know you have a good connection between the battery and the camera.

I'd still pick up a couple more aftermarket batts, though...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Take an eraser and scrub the contacts on the battery, then recharge it and see if it's any better. Another thing you might try (if cleaning the battery contacts doesn't work) is to put a couple strips of tape on the battery to "shim" it so that you know you have a good connection between the battery and the camera.

I'd still pick up a couple more aftermarket batts, though...

OK,
So like a pencil eraser. I have thought about shimming the battery up so that there is less movement on deployment. I have cleaned the contacts with a Q-tip and rubbing alcohol. Camera and battery. It has also been suggested to me that the aftermarket batteries aren't being seen well by the camera as to charge. Not sure about that.(?)
BS,
Sue