frost

Can Sony HDD camcorders now be used for skydiving?

we all know that the HDD camcorders are not suitable for skydiving and other activities where the shock factor is too high.

i was told (not by a video expert) that the new technology allows you to use hard disc camcorders for activities such as skydiving. Supposedly this was confirmed to him by several customer service reps. but how much do CSRs know? :ph34r:

But here is a quote from some of the new HD based camcorders, such as the HDR-SR11: "when you record images during activities such as roller coasting or skydiving, you can set drop sensor to off."

I dont know, has the hard drive design changed? Does the arm no longer floats on the platter?

I dont know, has the hard drive design changed? Does the arm no longer floats on the platter?

I don't know if the design has changed, but ONE of the problems in the past has been that hard drives just aren't rated for high elevations (ditto for micro-drive based CF cards). Many HDs say right on the case that they shouldn't be used above 10k feet. Maybe that ain't a problem for roller-coasters, but...

But thats the thing... Actually a few things :)
DOES it stay parked when recording to Pro stick?
Why does Sony recommend turning the HDD fall sensor off for (of all things) skydiving? Did they have that in mind designing the unit - recording to HDD while in freefall?
What about the opening shock damaging the hard disk platters? Was that in their mind when they recommended turning the sensor off?

My guess is, the drop sensor doesn't care (or know)what the selected recording media is.
If the harddrive stays parked, could be checked in a camera shop. Change movie and still media to MS, switch camera off and back on and observe the HDD access LED. If it comes on, don't buy...

No.1 reason NOT to be an astronaut: ...You can't drink beer at zero gravity...

DSE, let me borrow it... I'm enjoying taking cameras apart lately to do research B| I can measure the current used by the hd... I'm assuming it spining would draw more... hmm there is an idea, just measure the current with it on and off. Should be a good amount less when the hd is not being used.

Hey whole CX7 and only one screw left... not too bad :)

-Trunk

HYPOXIC

The only input I have on this, is I bought an sr80 in 2006 and even back then (a whoping 2 years ago) it had that in the owner's manual. As soon as I saw that, I got a goldmember for that bitch...for nothing. So even then, the manual still said that, and even now, the problem still exists on one's I've seen!
...it's not the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone...it's the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until someone appreciates it for you!