dalemeyer

camera helmet and emergency procedures

Hi guys an gals,

Im having some trouble finding a thread on camera helmet emergency procedures. As in what is the correct or what are the different emergency procedures one should take in the case of a mal?

Firstly, if you guys feel that this post belongs in the safety forum, please feel free to move it there.

My theory in my VAST knowledge and experience (1 year and 160 jumps) would be that if i have a mal with no camera entanglement then my procedures would or should be: 1: Arch, 2. clear lines(sweep) 3. Look (handles), 3. Peel right, 3. Peel Left, 4. Arch...
If i happen to be unfortunate enough to have a camera hook up, then: 1. Cut helmet, 2. arch, 3. look (handles), 4. peel right, 5. peel left, 6. arch...

please could you tell me if i should be adding steps or changing the order of how i would go about it...
I understand this is only a matter of opinion but im pretty sure that some form of consensus could be reached with regards to similarity of procedures?!

thanks for your time
Handsy
Take it easy... and if you get it easy, take it TWICE!

The problem with this procedure is that you assume the entanglement will occur, or will be noticeable, before you cutaway your main. A malfunctioning main may hang up on your helmet AFTER cutting away, or the entanglement may come free of your helmet after cutting away.

I also don't know what you mean by "clear lines (sweep)," but if you are suggesting somehow feeling for lines above your head I don't don't think that would be very informative, and may cause a bad body position.

My procedure is to cutaway the main, and then look for anything hanging up on my helmet. I'll admit this has never happened to me, but I imagine that I would feel it, or see it. Then, and only then, I would cutaway my helmet and go for the reserve.

Also, (you didn't mention this) I recommend not using an RSL so that after you cutaway your main, you have time to jettison the camera helmet b4 sending your reserve into the mess.

BTW, it is good to think of these things before jumping a camera, but IMHO you should not be jumping one until you get more jumping experience.

thanks a million for the help...

you got the "sweep" part right in that i would feel for lines or something...

as for jumping experience... what would you recommend?

i have an rsl 'unfortunately'(im not really a big fan although i do understand its purpose and the pros and cons of one)
im just trying to determine and get some ideas of some reserve drills
thanks again

i have an rsl 'unfortunately'(im not really a big fan ...

Don't get me wrong. I really do believe in RSLs in general - just not for camera flyers. You need to give yourself time to get rid of the helmet if necessary. This is also a good reason to pull higher than normal when flying camera...

As for jump experience, check previous posts, top sticky, etc., Lots to learn...

First let me say way to go on asking questions and thinking things through before putting a camera on your head. The rest of what I have to say is based equally on my experience, as well as my opinion.

<<>>

The USPA recommends 200 jumps. To me that is an absolute minimum. Useing this min, you should be very current, which you seem to be. You should also only add one component at a time. Maybe try jumping the helmet, with no camera for a few jumps, then adding the camera. Sounds silly, but it can help. The same can be said about flying the camera slot, without a camera.

<<>>

An rsl is great tool and I think every one should use one until two things happen. 1) you have the experience and comfort in your EPs to jump with out one (some say you need an actuall cut away to reach this point) 2) have a good reason to jump with out one.

You have #2, but no one on here can answer #1 for you. If you do decide you are ready to jump with out one, talk to an instructor about disconecting your rsl, and PROPERLY stowing it. If you decide you are not ready to go with out your rsl, then you are not ready to be jumping camera. (I warned that my opinon would be kicking in)

<<>>

I jump camera a lot, and a big helmet with plenty of places to snag lines. These are the mine:

-Decide to cut away
-Look right, grab right
-Look left, grab left
-Arch
-Pull right
-Check up and/or over shoulder for canopy departure

THEN

-Decide that main canopy is free and gone
-Hold onto cutaway handle
-Pull left
-Arch

OR

-Decide that the main canopy is entangled on helmet
-Throw away cutaway handle
-Left hand maintains grip on reserve handle
-Right hand locates and pulls helmet release
-Ceck for helmet/canopy departure (very alti aware here)
-Pull left
-Arch

I have one cutaway that I was wearing a camera for, these EPs worked fine for me, although I had no entanglement.

These EPs may seem like a lot, but if you practice them well they will come very natuarlly. They do leave a couple things else to consider, such as picking up your deployment alti a bit, and having the experience needed for such a drastic change in EPs.

<<>>

In the mix of a tangled line and my helmet is the last place I want my hand, as long as I have another option.

thanks a ton for all the help... i would have thought that EP's would have changed...

thanks a million guys... i would basically just need to be extra cautious and alert/aware of whats happening around me to try and minimize the mishaps...

thanks a million guys... i would basically just need to be extra cautious and alert/aware of whats happening around me to try and minimize the mishaps...

Then dont jmup with me Dale:D:D:D
Good to see you this weekend mate:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

<<>>

I jump camera a lot, and a big helmet with plenty of places to snag lines. These are the mine:

-Decide to cut away
-Look right, grab right
-Look left, grab left
-Arch
-Pull right
-Check up and/or over shoulder for canopy departure

THEN

-Decide that main canopy is free and gone
-Hold onto cutaway handle
-Pull left
-Arch

OR

-Decide that the main canopy is entangled on helmet
-Throw away cutaway handle
-Left hand maintains grip on reserve handle
-Right hand locates and pulls helmet release
-Ceck for helmet/canopy departure (very alti aware here)
-Pull left
-Arch

I have one cutaway that I was wearing a camera for, these EPs worked fine for me, although I had no entanglement.

These EPs may seem like a lot, but if you practice them well they will come very natuarlly. They do leave a couple things else to consider, such as picking up your deployment alti a bit, and having the experience needed for such a drastic change in EPs.

<<>>

In the mix of a tangled line and my helmet is the last place I want my hand, as long as I have another option.

That's about the same as mine...had one cutaway, no entanglement, but yea, those ep's work well if you PRACTICE them many times...i normally go through my ep's for no entanglement and then a seperate one for if my camera gets snagged at least 2x a jump