AMac0001

Flash-Media Video Camera Recommendations

Forgive me if there's already been a discussion on this (have not been able to find one), but I'm looking into purchasing a low-profile flash-media video camera to be top-mounted. The Sony CX7 looked like the perfect solution but I've read a lot of feedback on the "shaky image" problem during sit fly. If you were to have a conversation restricted to only flash-media top-mount cameras, which brands and models would be the best options? I'm not looking to win any Oscars with my videos, but would like something that performs with consistent quality for debriefing jumps and making the occasional skydiving montage to share with friends. Thanks.

Virtually all of the flash-based cams have OIS...meaning the shake is inherent in certain flying situations.
There are methods that have been discussed here about gluing down the stabilizer controllers, Armatos allegedly does it, but I've had a camera there for a couple months now...[:/]
There is one guy working on a tutorial on how to do this, but I haven't seen a finished product yet.

Canon's is worse. It's only going to be a bad issue in heavily burbled situations like sitflying...
Canon has the best optical stabilizers out there, and in this case...best isn't best, IMO.
The only time I see any chunking between the optics of the CX7 are when I'm flying either incredibly aggressively below/looking up/knee flying a tandem moving fast, or in a sitfly. I don't do HD, but I have seen great HD footage from the CX.

Why is it that you get this problem with flash media and not so much with tape? Thanks for your help.

Because of the new format they are using to compress the data on to the card. AVC is a pain in the ass. Go with an HC5 only slightly bigger than the CX7 but you'll have zero issues with it and the video it produces.

Why is it that you get this problem with flash media and not so much with tape? Thanks for your help.

WRONG! It doesn't have anything to do with flash media versus tape. It is solely a problem with the optical image stabilizer they are using in this particular camera. Tape based cameras with OIS had/have the same problem. Unfortunately, it looks like EIS (used in the HC-5) is going away.

WRONG! It doesn't have anything to do with flash media versus tape. It is solely a problem with the optical image stabilizer they are using in this particular camera. Tape based cameras with OIS had/have the same problem. Unfortunately, it looks like EIS (used in the HC-5) is going away.

Yea thanks for clearing that up I wasnt clear in my post I just wanted to bitch about the AVC format.

That makes sense. It just happens that the tape cameras people are recommending are EIS instead of OIS. And even when "disabling" OIS it still gives trouble from what I've been able to read? Are there any EIS flash-media camcorders out there or is EIS pretty much being totally replaced by OIS? Thanks again.