tvanderbeek

Cutaway on first solo

Nice work on a successful cutaway, there are a lot of things that can cause a toggle fire but if you're using a rig for the first time, it's worth checking to see if the toggle keepers are actually in good shape and that the toggle is held tightly in the keeper. You did way better than I did on your cutaway, well, I did a standup landing. Mine was jump 12.

As far as stowing toggles yourself, I always do it, mostly for the health of my lines - so that they don't get twisted up during the day. I also make sure my slider and pilot chute are cocked and ready to roll. Personally, I think packers should do that but I think that it's something I should be well and truly aware of. It also gives you the opportunity to check your gear while you're doing it. I don't usually get packers though so it's kinda moot.

By then, the wind speed is picking up, and you stay belly to earth, because you're already arched.

You've never had a cutaway with an RSL, have you?

If you have a point to make, then make it. Your rhetorical question does nothing to disprove my statement.

It's simple physics.

You may want to leave the physics to the physicists.

See my above reply.

No different then hot air balloon exits with zero air speed.

And how long does it take to get up enough speed for the wind to have significant effect? Less time than the reserve deployment by an RSL, or more?

See my above reply. The fact that an RSL works real quick, doesn't negate the fact that it's important to have a proper body position for deployment. You keep saying the above over and over again, but apparently if there's some point hidden in there, you need to do a better job of explaining it.

Surely you're not saying that simply arching on a balloon exit will keep you belly to earth, are you?

With the proper launch, and no momentum imparted, yes, it will. Base jumpers do it all the time with zero airspeed launches.

Do you really want to go on record here as saying that arching for a cutaway is a waste of effort?

You didn't read my posts on that, did you?

Every one. If you think there's something I'm not understanding, then you need to do a better job of explaining. This message of yours to which I'm responding is a classic example of why talking to you is so frustrating - you don't explain yourself, and instead go off accusing others of being dense.

You've not refuted anything I've said.

"HEY wifey"

"Hey what"?

"JR and Pops are fighting over arching during a reserve"!

"Jeasus Christ, if your not on that damn dz.com, your listening to that fn skydive radio">:(

"well whatdya think?"

"bout what?"

"About arching before you pull handles or after."

"Who fn cares?"
GENTLEMEN I AM INCLINED TO AGREE WITH HER:D:D:o:D:D:o:DB|

Well, John. Have it your way. Have fun with it.
If you think arching at cutaway is going to put you belly-to-earth before the reserve inflates, have at it.
You're just wrong on won't admit it. Such is life.

Hey! Send me another childish two-word PM!
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Would it have been wrong to attempt to land on rears in this situation. I have a feeling if it was me I would have given it a shot rather than cut away.

Also what is skydive radio?

Landing on rears with only 10 jumps? With a tangled brake line so that the canopy is already at half brakes (essentially in slow flight)?

I can see a lot of ways that could turn bad.

And - http://www.skydiveradio.com/

And to the OP - How in the world didn't you know that a case of beer is 24?!?!

Sheesh, kids these days.;)

Nice job on handling it too. You kept your head and thought it through. You decided the canopy wasn't landable, kept track of your altitude and didn't bust your hard deck.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

4 hours ago, David Wang said:

Johnrich, please stop telling others how to execute EPs. you are not a rated instructor. He needs to ask his instructor at his local DZ.

Dude. You've done A tandem. He's done 5000 not tandem jumps. He's been jumping much longer than you have been alive. Because someone's profile on dropzone doesn't say instructor doesn't mean they have never been one.

You might consider doing an actual skydive before telling very experienced jumpers to shut up.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, skybytch said:

Dude. You've done A tandem. He's done 5000 not tandem jumps. He's been jumping much longer than you have been alive. Because someone's profile on dropzone doesn't say instructor doesn't mean they have never been one.

You might consider doing an actual skydive before telling very experienced jumpers to shut up.

AND resurrecting an 8 year old post....

5 hours ago, skybytch said:

1 hour ago, Nabz said:

AND resurrecting an 8 year old post....

And directing a comment towards someone who's been perma-banned for a long time.

3 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

And directing a comment towards someone who's been perma-banned for a long time.

if he was not rated coach he shouldn't spread information that was not accurate or whatever and that's when people got hurt. This is what my instructor told me and it is always true. If he was a rated coach then it was a different story and at this point I agree with you @Nabz! before a unrated guy told me how to execute eps even before my AFF and it was wrong. I was glad I didn't jump. Experienced or not experienced it doesn't matter even most experienced skydiver could have packing errors and cause a cutaway.

Edited by David Wang

15 minutes ago, David Wang said:

you guys are mean is it because i'm just a beginner or you guys are experienced? your personality sucks @wolfriverjoeshut up and go away dude

That's me you were quoting, not Joe.  Please direct any further attacks on someone's character to the correct person.

It's not because you are "just a beginner" - although that term implies that you have at least done an AFF Cat A already - and we are experienced.  It's because you have no experience yet you are trying to come off like you do.  

17 minutes ago, David Wang said:

if he was not rated coach he shouldn't spread information that was not accurate or whatever and that's when people got hurt. 

And how do you know that what he was saying was not accurate "or whatever"?  Please elaborate. 

My instructional ratings are not current.  Does that mean that any knowledge I might have is suspect?  

8 minutes ago, David Wang said:

Experienced or not experienced it doesn’t matter even the most experienced skydiver could have packing errors for example

Instructors make mistakes packing.  Riggers have reserve rides.  Everyone makes a mistake at some point.   Instructors are not gods.  They can even give out incorrect information. :o

3 minutes ago, skybytch said:

That's me you were quoting, not Joe.  Please direct any further attacks on someone's character to the correct person.

It's not because you are "just a beginner" - although that term implies that you have at least done an AFF Cat A already - and we are experienced.  It's because you have no experience yet you are trying to come off like you do.  

And how do you know that what he was saying was not accurate "or whatever"?  Please elaborate. 

My instructional ratings are not current.  Does that mean that any knowledge I might have is suspect?  

Instructors make mistakes packing.  Riggers have reserve rides.  Everyone makes a mistake at some point.   Instructors are not gods.  They can even give out incorrect information. :o

sorry about the words.

My instroctor told me to always ask rated coaches if I have any questions and I think he is right. :) 

Mr Wang you need to slow your roll a bit around here. Like it or not, your advice has very little power with only 1 tandem jump. 

Focus on learning from the people with experience and not trying to teach them a lesson. 

Edited by Phillbo

7 minutes ago, skybytch said:

too much information and we don't have time to verify one by one. I think the best way is to ask an instructor at local DZ, and it's the most reliable way. although I agree sometimes people make mistakes.

19 minutes ago, skybytch said:

forget about it. Sorry and I will learn from you guys.

14 hours ago, David Wang said:

forget about it. Sorry and I will learn from you guys.

Sir,

No. Do not learn from us guys. Us guy's should actually not engage you at all except to say:

You need to get off of DZ.com and onto a DZ. This is no place for non-skydivers to get information that can be life critical. Find a school with instructors you trust and let them learn about you so they can teach you in a way that works best for you individually. 

• Like 1

On 12/16/2019 at 4:02 PM, David Wang said:

if he was not rated coach he shouldn't spread information that was not accurate or whatever and that's when people got hurt. This is what my instructor told me and it is always true. If he was a rated coach then it was a different story and at this point I agree with you @Nabz! before a unrated guy told me how to execute eps even before my AFF and it was wrong. I was glad I didn't jump. Experienced or not experienced it doesn't matter even most experienced skydiver could have packing errors and cause a cutaway.

Sometimes new jumpers get to be overcome with the excitement of their new sport. Sometimes they need to express themselves here as keyboard warriors. You have now stepped into the territory of someone who really needs to lurk more and post less. You aren’t the first and you won’t be the last.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Sometimes new jumpers get to be overcome with the excitement of their new sport. Sometimes they need to express themselves here as keyboard warriors. You have now stepped into the territory of someone who really needs to lurk more and post less. You aren’t the first and you won’t be the last.

Oh, Ken, you do huggable so good! 

• Like 2

But you can feel free to reverse arch on your next cut-away, fall back-to-earth, and let us all know how that works out for you.

Worked pretty ok. Ever have a wingsuit chop??? Completely different animal. Harry Houdini would have approved! ;)