darrenspooner

centering target

Sounds like your camera setup is similar to how mine is. If I'm filming rw, and I'm not very vertical, I look at whoever's farthest away in the formation, that moves everyone down from the top 1/3 of the frame. If I fly steeper I have to look at whoever's closest to me to get the formation centered.

I've been able to film decent rw video like that without ever using a ring site. But the good cameramen will tell you that using a ring site is the way to get the BEST video you can.

http://www.SkydiveVids.com

Or you could combine some of these ideas...

I have a paper asshole on the goggles AND a laser on the helmet. When you mount the camera, you can use the laser to make sure that your camcorder (and stills) are lined up with the laser centrally placed.

When you put the helmet on in the plane, you can use the laser again (carefully, not to blind people) to ensure that your paper sight is directing you to look at the right laser spot.

And as DSE mentioned in passing, the most important thing I think is to look with your head and not just your eyes...

Have fun!

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

I use the Auto Focus Illuminator on my DSLR to center my cameras. If you turn it on and walk in to a poorly lit room and press the shutter half way down, you'll see a nice round grid pattern that is perfectly centered for your still camera. I've been using that method for years and it works very well.

You'll definitely need some sort of reference like a sight or paper asshole as these guys have already suggested. One thing about using a sight though; don't close one eye and concentrate on keeping your subject dead center - you'll end up with very, very, shaky video that way. Instead, keep both eyes open and take an occasional glance through your sight - this will give you a reference point that you can use to correct yourself if you’re off. Eventually, you’ll end up with a very good idea where “center” really is and you’ll find yourself checking your sight picture less often.

Moving your whole head/body instead of just your eyes will take some time to learn. Much like skydiving in general, your body goes where your eyes go. So practice making nice slow movements with your head and your body will follow naturally. You’ll know you’ve got it when you can successfully move your eyes and check your altimeter while still keeping your cameras centered on the subject. That takes a little while though :)

Hope it helps,
z

Action©Sports