DSE

Lens Tests

This is by no means complete, and the full article has yet to be approved, so it might be a few days before it's up entirely, but wanted to share at least the test images with everyone so you can see how the various lenses fare.
Please be sure to read the bottom of the page, because this is not a cut-dried test. To be 100% equal and fair to each lens, the center of the lens should be at the resolution scale, rather than center of image. But, the point of this particular test was to measure for on center target, not to present each lens at its very best. Click each image to view an HD screengrab. Bear in mind that wide lenses are at their worst as you move away from the center of the lens.
Hope this helps some of you make decisions about lenses.

Why is it you call the century .3 baby death?
I read up on it some and the spec said it had a resolution of 650 lines.
I bought a raynox hd 3032 pro and the resolution it says on the box is 520 lines at the center.
Wouldn't the century .3 fisheye be a better hd lens for my hc-1 or cx-7?

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

Observation from DSE's tests: The Century 0.3 appears to have noticably less resolution and more distortion than the Raynox 0.3.

Personal experience: The Raynox 0.3 performs quite well on my HC5. Minimal loss in picture quality versus no wide angle conversion lens attached. Also, the Raynox way outperforms my existing single element lens.

My understanding is that the Century 0.3 is a single element lens??

BTW - Thanks for the efforts and informative post DSE...
-----

Why is it you call the century .3 baby death?
I read up on it some and the spec said it had a resolution of 650 lines.
I bought a raynox hd 3032 pro and the resolution it says on the box is 520 lines at the center.
Wouldn't the century .3 fisheye be a better hd lens for my hc-1 or cx-7?

Baby Death isn't my name for it, it's the nickname handed to it by skateboarders a few years back.
Baby Death is generally rated at 650 lines, but as you can see, it's slightly higher. Bear in mind, these are both interlaced cams, and captured as interlaced, screen shots are progressive by default, so lines are blended, presenting a worse than actual view, which is generally accepted as the best way to fairly view lenses.
yes, the Century is a slightly higher grade lens than the Raynox, but the Raynox is also a great lens, when cost is factored.

Thanks

Really usefull post.

But what is the best solution for us idiots with 30mm treading?

Step rings are a big "no no" right?

My setup is a HC3 with 0.3 "single glass lens" and im so sad about the quality. desperatly need something good quality in the 0.3-0.45 range

please help

Yes, it is.
BTW, Raynox (via ZReiss) just dumped a BUNCH (several hundred) of these lenses on the market. I believe they're upgrading cosmetics. You should be able to find them very affordable. Check out Zreiss.com for more information.

thanks. seems like the best option for now.

The next step must be to get a 37mm treaded camera.

Quess Ill have to do a seargh for the newest skydive proved sony cam. even heard you can get a kind that is full hd and dont use dv tapes...would you belive it;)........ quick link to thread anyone?

Please excuse this question, I've searched the forum/inet but couldn't find an obvious answer: The Royal Diamond lenses aren't HD lenses, are they? Because I can't really tell much of a difference between the Royal 0.5 and the Century .55 which is reportedly HD. Some color deviation but in terms of lines ... ?

The Raynox clearly stands out ... if only it wasn't such a huge beast. Topmounting the Raynox together with a CX12 with my 6 feet 4 will probably be very prone to banging it in the plane or under the door.

Please excuse this question, I've searched the forum/inet but couldn't find an obvious answer: The Royal Diamond lenses aren't HD lenses, are they? Because I can't really tell much of a difference between the Royal 0.5 and the Century .55 which is reportedly HD. Some color deviation but in terms of lines ... ?

There is a dramatic difference in terms of sharpness (lines of resolution) The Century is quite a bit higher than the Royal, Cookie, Waycool.

The Raynox clearly stands out ... if only it wasn't such a huge beast. Topmounting the Raynox together with a CX12 with my 6 feet 4 will probably be very prone to banging it in the plane or under the door.

Get someone to chop ya' off at the calf? :D

Seriously, if you're looking at a .5...look no further than the Century, as it has the highest resolutiong (but still isn't a full 1080, let alone 720), and is low profile. It's even slightly lower profile than the lenses offered by any of the skydiving lens companies.
Looking forward to seeing Royal and the others step up to a better grade/grind of glass.

Thanks for your swift answer and for clarifying, DSE.

Yeah, I think I'll stick with the Century .55 for the beginning and if I need to go wider and the head-banging is going alright I'll face the Raynox 0.3. B|

Well those calfs come in handy with wingsuiting ... and the ladies :ph34r: