Fuzzy

PC1000 Lens Cover Problem

In the past few weeks my PC1000 has started to act up in that when turned on, the lens cover does not open up. It will sometimes need to be turned off and on a few times before it opens.

On the plus side, when this happens it will not start recording so no red light on the cameye. On the down side, you still get the blue light to say it's in standby, and it's a pain to be dealing with something like this just prior to exiting.

It's intermitent but has happened at least a couple of times each of the past few weekends.

Anyone else run into this, and if so was there any easy fix, or any suggestions.

Fuzzy
Ambition / Ability: Know the difference.

Ya , I get the same thing sometimes. It sounds terrible but if it's sticking I turn on the camera and give a little tap with my finger close to the lens cover and that usually will help it open all the way. The problem is not consistent for me. Someone had a great suggestion : super glue it open! If mine continues to get worse I'll eventually glue it but watch out for the glass. If anyone has any better solutions, I'm all ears!

As above - I'm presuming you're using a wide lens on it, so it the shutter sticks closed, you could glue it open - however, I don't know if this would "tell" the camera it's now OK to record or not - it's clearly being told NOT to record when the shutter sticks closed as you say it wont record. Might be worth trying just holding it open with a pencil or something whilst you turn it off and on a few times to see if that frees it up at all...?

Thanks to both

When it happens again I'll try holding it open to see if it will still record. Unfortunately I don't think that test will work until the problem manifests itself again. The other problem may be if it's an internal thing telling the camera then lens isn't open it may still refuse to record even if forced open.

Fortunately this weekend there were no issues. That said, in a way it sucks that the problem is intermitent, as it makes it harder to figure out what's causing it (and each time you turn it on you wonder if it will it work or not...)

Thanks again

Fuzzy
Ambition / Ability: Know the difference.

Ok, mine did it again too, and I noticed the humidity was a little higher than normal. I put the camera in a bag with silica (moisture absorbent) gel and that fixed it, at lest for now. When I was in FL it stuck almost everyday. I'm starting to put 2&2 together.....hmm. Let us know if sony has anything useful to say please.