EXTremeWade

RAWA with what topmount?

I know there have been posts from this before, but they are old, and I am really about to buy soon, so I need the advice.

I want to get the GoldMember for my Rebel XTi on the Rawa. Is this a safe bet? Just a yes or no is good enough from everyone..Thanks!!

Wade

YES

IMO there's better mounts then a gold member. It will work but it will look sloppy with the sides hanging over. I've seen cookies flat lock mount really clean on RAWA's. I personally prefer no quick release. I just use a thumb screw through the bottom. Its nice and flush and only takes a second or two longer to get on and off.
Na' Cho' Cheese

One thing to consider before you buy a quick release is how the plate fits on the camera in relation to the battery door. If the plate covers it, you'll need to unscrew the plate every time you want to charge your battery. Take some measurements and think about how it'll all fit together before you buy.

Dave

I have an XTi, on a rawa with the Goldmember QC. It fits and works nicely, and the battery can be removed without unscrewing the plate. The Goldmember has some play in it though, so I would look for another QC that locks down completely.

A friend of mine are using a Rawa with Canon 400D (not sure of the model name in US for this). He got the Zkulls for quick release and that is one tight fit i can tell you!!!

Works fine for him.
“The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.” - George Bernard Shaw
He who dies with the most toys, wins.....
dudeist skydiver # 19515
Buy quality and cry once!

Sure it's possible to mount it on the side as well.

Don't know if he did some documentation during the process or not though.
As far as I know he just meassured it a number of times to assure it was going to be aligned and then he did some drilling and cutting.
“The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.” - George Bernard Shaw
dudeist skydiver # 19515

I am very happy with a Cookie Flatlock. Light, thin, clean looking... and fits perfectly on top of my Rawa. I use it for a photo camera or for a second camcorder at the Nationals.

In fact, i like it so much, i am going to install another one with an adapter on my FF helmet for a top mounted CX7.

The Goldmember has some play in it though, so I would look for another QC that locks down completely.

What exactly do you mean by this?

The two parts that the QC consist of is not machined precisely enough, making room for some play in the connection. Its not a lot, and probably doesn't affect my pictures, but it is still annoying..

My Virus scanner picked up a TROJAN in your link

Strange.... My AV (NOD32) don't detect anything like that... And NOD32 is quite sensitive to pick up on those....
Is anybody else having these problems??

The link is to the manufacturer of the Zkulls adapter that Tonfly is using for the CC helmets.
dudeist skydiver # 19515