namgrunt

NIKON D-3

At 1240 grams with no batteries its almost twice the weight of the Canon 40D (740 grams) and over twice the weight of the Nikon D60. Its a monster to think about jumping. On its Canon counterpart the 1D Mark II or III series there are only about a dozen people jumping them and most of them only jump the camera, no video.

Its ground specs look awsome, but I'm a Canon shooter.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Its a monster to think about jumping.

I doubt he plans on Jumping with it... ;) and although I too am a Canon guy (which Bob knows) I have to agree it looks comparable to the 1D Mark II or III and has some nice specs...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

The camera's pretty remarkable... and I've always been a Canon guy. The thing is, the D3's noise characteristics at 6400 match a 40D at roughly 400. You can get "usable" images out of the D3 at 10,000 ASA. To me, a 40D stops being usable at 800.

Just check out dpreview's take on it.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

the D3 is the camera which make some Pro's switch back to Nikon...Low light capacity is out of this world.
For 2 years I jumped the model replaced by this one, the D2x, because at that time was the only option to get top quality on the Nikon side, but the size, weight & cost were big pains! now the D300 is all what I need... still using D80 for everyday work, and soone the D40x for lighter weight (when I figure out the remote thing...)
Gustavo

B| I have had the D3, as well as a D300, since last November (used to sell 'em and they still treat me nice!). I love them both, for different reasons, but I think I'll keep jumping my D80 for quite a while due to the lighter weight. With the built-in powergrip of the D3 increasing the height, as well as the weight, I'd jump the D300 over the D3. My D3 does give me amazing images- even as high as ISO 25,000! Yep, that's 25K. I do a lot of surveillance photography, and the D3 gives me "usable images" at that setting that are much better than the old days of B&W pushed to 3200 or 6400. I doubt you'll need that capability, even with night jumps! The D300 is a great all-around unit, and I'll probably jump it at some point. It's nice for carrying around since it has the built-in flash, if needed, and is almost the quality of the D3. Low-light performance is a bit less, but still great. One drawback of jumping the Nikons is the remote connection. The Canon mini-plug is easily found with a right-angle end, but the Nikon connection sticks straight out and is easily damaged. I have bent the connector on my D80 many times, so far it bends back and keeps working. For right now, the D80 with 20mm or 10.5 fisheye (for large formation jumps) will occupy the front of my FlatTop, but the D300 may get a shot someday soon.
Been there, done that, what's next?