Fawgdog

Tandem Video/Stills!

So I'm going to start jumping with tandems doing video this next season. Few questions

1) What gear are you guys using (still/lens/video/camera suit/helmets etc)?

2) What challenges should I be on the look out for during this time?

3)Any words of wisdom?
Lost a ton of money chasing girls but no girls chasing money. http://whuffofree.com!!!WHUFFO FREE!!!!

Guys reading this...I'll save you time....

here's what would have been said to you:

1. Use the search function (that statement...along with your question is seen ad nauseaum on this forum!) It will guide you along on what you should be looking for when it comes to your set up.

2. Immediately jumping into filming tandems for a young fairly un-current jumper is likely a foolish idea. *edited to add* If your profile is accurate...300 jumps over 8 years is un-current. 38 jumps a year simply does not cut it where a students life is concerned.
-You should get your start on fun jumps with your friends. Start small using simply video, honing your skills, then slowly transition to video and stills. Then and only then should your start doing tandem work. Do not put a students, an instructors, and your life all in danger while you "learn on the job"

It is not a good idea to just jump into professional video. It is not fair to anyone... The paying customer who is the focus of your job. Do not cheat them out of their moment. Only after you are very comfortable with your set up should you even begin to chase and maybe lurk tandems - and most importantly with the instructors knowledge and approval.

I am not saying that you are in anyway an unsafe or bad skydiver. I am just pointing out that there are steps to get you to where you need to be. If you are only now asking what cameras you should have on your head, you should not be thinking about filming tandems this season...

So start practicing, keep enthusiastic, and I hope to see some great work one day! :)
Just my opinion

You are likely about to find that some on this forum think you should have searched the forums for a previous thread on this topic before posting your question.

I'm not one of them.

>>>1) What gear are you guys using (still/lens/video/camera suit/helmets etc)?
Jumped the top mount bigger cams for years. I now have herniated discs in my lower neck to show for it.:S

My new system - Bonehead Optik - very lightweight and small - not restrictive.

Sony PC series palm-corder. Proven reliability. The PD of video cameras.

Wide angle - .5 or so will work fine for most applications.

Wingsuit custom built for your height/weight. Once you learn to fly it you'll understand why. I like Tony products. Very durable and they work.

>>>2) What challenges should I be on the look out for during this time?
Photographically: shaky video, fuzzy pics, and everything is too far away when you see it on the video and stills.

Tactically: Learn to stay alive. Lots of info out there on vidiot safety. Know it.

>>>3)Any words of wisdom?
Get confident with your gear.

Focus on solid video over fancy flying.

Think every jump through from a camera perspective.

Expect anything at any moment.

Have fun.

:)

Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Guys reading this...I'll save you time....

here's what would have been said to you:

1. Use the search function (that statement...along with your question is seen ad nauseaum on this forum!) It will guide you along on what you should be looking for when it comes to your set up.

2. Immediately jumping into filming tandems for a young fairly un-current jumper is likely a foolish idea. *edited to add* If your profile is accurate...300 jumps over 8 years is un-current. 38 jumps a year simply does not cut it where a students life is concerned.
-You should get your start on fun jumps with your friends. Start small using simply video, honing your skills, then slowly transition to video and stills. Then and only then should your start doing tandem work. Do not put a students, an instructors, and your life all in danger while you "learn on the job"

It is not a good idea to just jump into professional video. It is not fair to anyone... The paying customer who is the focus of your job. Do not cheat them out of their moment. Only after you are very comfortable with your set up should you even begin to chase and maybe lurk tandems - and most importantly with the instructors knowledge and approval.

I am not saying that you are in anyway an unsafe or bad skydiver. I am just pointing out that there are steps to get you to where you need to be. If you are only now asking what cameras you should have on your head, you should not be thinking about filming tandems this season...

So start practicing, keep enthusiastic, and I hope to see some great work one day! :)
Just my opinion

I'm over 400(not to mention tunnel time) jumps with 290 of those in the last season...I've jumped camera with friends as well as have about 100+ coached dives with experienced instructors who all say im good to go with camera, if i like too. As for the search function(i am not a moron), i have done a search and haven't found anything specifically about tandems. I just wanted some outside input on the equipment other people were using. As well as whats things you wish you knew when you started.

Oh also, I have my cameras (not asking what to buy) Just wondering what you are using. I've dont that research awhile ago and I do photography on the ground for years.
Lost a ton of money chasing girls but no girls chasing money. http://whuffofree.com!!!WHUFFO FREE!!!!

If these people at your dz say your good to go then talk with them about what camera equipment and there knowledge about flying camera ?Surely there some highly experienced camera flyers there that will give you advise if you ask for it.

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

All found using the search - mostly with the words "tandem and video":

Tandem Video - Deals with SIM and instructor recomendations

Tandem Exit

So you want to jump with tandems? -good general guidelines/checklist for flying with tandems

[url "http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1403151;search_string=wide%20angle%20tandem;#1403151">Wide angle lens for tandem stills

Which lens?

.3 or .5 for tandem

Tandem video priorities

New cameras quick rundown of what's new and what works

Reading any of DSE's numerous posts which are always a wealth of info is a good place to start for what is new in the world of cameras of any kind

How to become a vidiot

Camera suit..

Which camera suit??

whew...that search...it sure is hard

ps... I also re-read most of the threads that I just linked for you. I just want you to know that I am not dismissing your questions off hand, but simply referring you to answers that are much more in depth than I could ever give you. This is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to "Tandem Video" info available on this site. I am sure if you try, you can find timely and relevant answers to your quesitons.

If you are planing on shooting tandems at Eloy you need to talk to the DZ as FunAir has specific things they do also.

Don't plan on shooting there but i've had a number of talks with Mike Mcgowan and the other guys on staff. I've gotten answers to these questions prior to this I just wanted more angles on this. Anyways thanks for the answers and keep them blue!

just my 2 cents.... 400 jumps in 8 years. MOST tandem manufacturers require a minimum number of jumps to accompany tandems. Also, as a professional photographer shooting someones very first skydive..it's a lot of pressure to "get the shot". I've been shooting tandems for MANY years and still anticipate EVERYTHING that can, could and has happened. I would definately shoot a handful of tandems (no charge) just for practice..assuming tandem masters approve you to join them. Also, I hope you dont just have an "A" license or your tandems days are still in the future.

Remember, shooting a tandem video is a HUGE responsibility. Either update your stats, or wait for a few more jumps to pursue a very wonderful part of skydiving.

You only get ONE shot at a "first skydive video".
http://www.curtisglennphotography.com

i'd second the "no charge" for the first few jumps...just tag along with a tandem not having video, almost all of my first few were willing to have me practice. You learn a lot, and if you screw up the shots, no biggie, they didn't pay, and if you do well, offer them the video. I think i've had 2 people turn it down in my jumping career.

i'd second the "no charge" for the first few jumps...just tag along with a tandem not having video, almost all of my first few were willing to have me practice. You learn a lot, and if you screw up the shots, no biggie, they didn't pay, and if you do well, offer them the video. I think i've had 2 people turn it down in my jumping career.

Better ask the DZO first about selling video afterwards, on my DZ that is "not done" since you are then undercutting the regular video staff and also you have to perform up to the DZ's standards before your video is deemed acceptable as the DZ's "calling card". Also you may need to have acceptable stills too at DZs that only offer the video+photo package.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

When I first read this I had the initial 'if you have to ask, you're probably not ready' feeling. I still feel that way but that sort of comment alone never provides good advice.

1) What gear are you guys using (still/lens/video/camera suit/helmets etc)?

I'm a firm believer that this is highly personal preference.

Cameras are virtually the same. Consider that jumpers were putting out quality video using cameras of much less capability than even the lowest quality cameras of the day. As a photographer you already know that it has little to do with the camera and more to do with the operator.

Camera suits are somewhat the same. I've flown many different suit/wing designs and combinations. My flying skills seemed to determine the outcome more than anything. If you do settle on a suit and your video isn't coming out how you would like. Don't make the often repeated mistake of thinking it's the suit. I will say this however, I wouldn't go with very large wings right away. That suit may fly YOU for awhile.

2) What challenges should I be on the look out for during this time?

Getting 'in tune' with the tandem master, avoiding drogues, screamin' fall rates (when the TM takes their time tossing the droge), small...fat...scared...stupid tandem passengers, you name it. It's all out there just waitin' for ya!

3)Any words of wisdom?

Get more experience. Swoop some tandems (without your camera). I've been shooting tandems for over 12 years and I still jump on a few for free each year. Mainly to try a new technique or something. NEVER TRY SOMETHING NEW ON A PAYING CUSTOMER.

By the way, being "good to go" with a camera can mean different things to different people.

There are some people doing amazing things out there in the skydiving world. But I have to admit that since I've been in the sport, I've seen photography, as a whole, get worse. I've seen quite a few videos that were 'marginal' at best sold to customers. It's horrible. I've also run into customers outside the drop zone who have complained to me about another camera-flyer's work once they had the chance to compare it to another. There's very little one is able to say in such a situation.
"Any language where the unassuming word fly signifies an annoying insect, a means of travel, and a critical part of a gentleman's apparel is clearly asking to be mangled."

Cameras are virtually the same. Consider that jumpers were putting out quality video using cameras of much less capability than even the lowest quality cameras of the day. As a photographer you already know that it has little to do with the camera and more to do with the operator.

For photography I'll buy that. For video, not. There is a very big difference between the HDV cameras we use for tandem videos and daily videos, and the miniDV cameras that we use. The HDV cameras all produce much much much better footage even when downconverted to DV. Did I mention they are way better..? :):P

Also between miniDV cameras there are differences that are noticeable, and of course the 3ccd cameras are better than regular miniDV.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Also between miniDV cameras there are differences that are noticeable, and of course the 3ccd cameras are better than regular miniDV.

I know what you mean (or think I do) Saskia, but there are many "regular Mini-DV" camcorders that are 3 chip, some CCD and some CMOS. to imply that 3CCDs are better than a single CMOS in today's technology is very flawed. 3-5 years ago, a 3 chip camera was better. Today, there are at least a dozen reasons that manufacturers are moving away from multi-chip systems, and cost is way, way down the list of reasons. Additionally, CCD is all but dead. Get familiar with CMOS.:P