missann1320

Bite Switch for Nikon D70 or D200

Happy Almost Friday All!!

Curious if anyone makes or has a modified bite switch for Nikon?

I have read all of the modification ideas Conceptus has on the website (and they do not do custom mods) and I am just not confident I will be able to do it correctly without damaging the $75 switch.

IT does not fit the 2.5 current adapter nor am I interested in flying with the $200 Digi2200 bulky adapter to make this work for me.

Please let me know if you (or know anyone) can help me in this effort.

PS- I am looking to fly with a D70 or D200 (first preference).

Thanks in advance!
Smile!
http://www.399FirstDates.com

D70 will not work, you would need the D70s. The 200 has the ability to plug in the switch, I'd contact someone like Lazlo on here to do the wiring.

You mention you are going to use a Invertigo to mount it, you really need a Chin cup to hold it steady and using a chin cup makesa bite switch hard to use, I'd look at a tongue or a blow switch. I like the tongue but know lots of people that love their blow switches.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

The D70s had a 2.5 plug in for the bit switch?!

Anyone have his contact info? I did some searching and couldn't find his SN. I'd love to contact him for sure!

I don't have to go with the Invertago mount...

I am just after a helmet that is safe for me and my camera on top... Less danger for me at deployment is key.

So if you know of a better set up for just the still camera please do let me know???

I appreciate the advise... as the camera flyers at my DZ are few and far between these days...

Thank again!
Smile!

This weekend you might be having Michelle from Midwest Skydiving in at your DZ to help out, talk to her. She is a really good resource to talk with, I spent last weekend working with her and she can really help point you in the right direction.

The D70 has a wireless remote but it does not have a port to plug in a wired remote, the D70s has that. Its not the 2.5mm plug but it is a plug that can work. The D200 has a Nikon plug also.

What lens are you looking to put on it? You need to be looking in the 10-25mm range. Anything larger then that and you need to fly too far away to aim correctly. The Invertigo can work, I'd personally do about 50-100 video jumps prior to putting a still camera on, the video helps you refine your technique and still get feed back the entire time. My first 15-20 videos never had the person in them at all that I was with. :$

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Kewl, another nikon flyer :)
D70s is a great camera i'd use that one first because of the weight, with a 16mm/18mm/20mm lens on it. When you get comfy with the weight and are not adding a video camera anytime soon, and jump a nice reliably slow opening canopy, then you could try the D200 (which of course needs another plug...) but it is a lot of camera to fly so you may want to stick with the D70s. I jump a D80 now, jumped a D70s before that and a D70 before THAT but the IR remote was a hassle. The main reasons for going to the D80 for me were the usb2.0 plug and the side door for the card, wither of which would've done for me since I front-mount mine, and because the D80 can shoot RAW+jpg fine. Of course the D200 does that too. But the D70s is still a great camera and it'll run for ages on a battery, something I miss with the D80 (spoiled LOL)... I also have a D200 but I think it's too heavy for my neck (I jump video too) but it's usuable as a back-up should I need it, got a switch ready for it.

Modifying your own switch isn't hard BTW, just snip off the plug of the bite/tongue switch and snip off the remote end of the appropriate remote and solder the 3 wires together after figuring out which goes where (mine is wired so it focusses and meters continually, makes for fast shots but lower battery life).

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I have jumped a D70s and now a D200. Making the switch was easy for both. The D70s and the D80 remote switch has only 3 wires to deal with. It has been a whie since I made the D70s switch so I dont remember the color combinations that went together. I will try to find it and post the directions. I jump a D200 with a 10.5mm Fisheye. The D200 uses a different plug. It has a metal threaded coupling that secures it to the camera. Very secure. Dont worry about damaging the Conceptus switch. Just cut it at the plug and you will have plenty of extra cable to use. Remember, you will have the length of the Conceptus switch cable plus the length of the Nikon plug cable added together. You will have more wire than you need. So experiment and if you get the connection wrong just cut it down. You will not hurt the camera by testing the splices. Lastly, I like the tongue switch way better. Good Luck!

What lens are you looking to put on it? You need to be looking in the 10-25mm range. Anything larger then that and you need to fly too far away to aim correctly. The Invertigo can work, I'd personally do about 50-100 video jumps prior to putting a still camera on, the video helps you refine your technique and still get feed back the entire time. My first 15-20 videos never had the person in them at all that I was with. :$

Thanks for the info darlin! On my D200 I am going to shoot mainly with the 16mm Fisheye 2.8D and then I also have a bulker wide angle to fly the Nikon 12-24mm 1.4... Beautiful lenses needless to say!

I got in touch with Lazlo so all is well- thanks for the help folks!
Smile!

Some other people have posted this before, but anyhow:

There is a cheap chinese copy of the MC-30 called "Adidt M1" which connects directly to a tounge- or bite-switch, no cutting required, they have two versions, one for the D200, one for the D70s:

http://www.adrenalens.com/d60remote.htm

You can find these switches easily on ebay, my switches (4) all work fine, but since they are quite cheap, perhaps buy 2 just in case on doesn't work...
:)