heyday

Panasonic SD5 problem

Hi

I've started using a Panasonic SD5 with wingsuit.

One problem I found is that the camera intermitently stops recording during flight.

I have not been able to recreate this problem on the ground.

One theory is based on the two fan holes being exposed and relative wind shutting the fans down and thus causing the camera to stop recording to prevent overheating (or so jarno seemed to think, holding on to the bar for dear life last night) :S:ph34r:

I'm using the camera topmount protected by neoprene camera cover with fan areas exposed.

Our next test will be to jump the camera with the fan areas lightly covered.

Has anyone else had this problem or any theory as to why this is happening.

Thanks in advance

David
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it."...Steven Wright

It's possible that it's the fans, but I'm betting more on the internal stabilization system. In another thread back in January, I posted images of this camera with the message "Camera is moving too fast" on the screen. The internal stabilization system shuts down if the encoder can't process the moving information well enough. This camera is Panasonic's second camera in the MPEG world, and they're not known for their MPEG encoding....They've always been an Intra-frame developer. MPEG is Inter-frame.

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

We did some further testing today with the fan areas lightly covered by polythene and generally more protection over the camera. The two test jumps were not affected by the same problem.

More testing is required to ascertain if this is the right soluton. Your answer seemed like a very plausible explanation, although I must admit that I would find it quite shocking that Panasonic did not pick this up prior to the cameras release onto the market.

We'll be doing further tests on this product during this week and will post the results on this forum.

Until then

David
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it."...Steven Wright

I would find it quite shocking that Panasonic did not pick this up prior to the cameras release onto the market.

Quite probably they didn't consider skydiving with their camera a high priority in their testing criteria... ;)

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Hi

Good news.

The solution is to simply lightly cover the front fan thus preventing a RAM air effect on a fan that is actually the outlet.

It seems that the inlet fan is at the back and outlet at the front.

D