skydiveoc

hdr sr12

There has been some discussion about this camera... The questin that has been circulating is whether the HDD can be disabled and locked while using a memory stick to record during freefall.

The Hypeye ProD (A new connector from Hypeye) is compatible with this camera and is able to be used to activate the still capture as I understand it...

Ultimately if you want to spend money and test it then feel free... no one is going to stop you. But please let all of us know how it works... :)

Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I wish I was rich enough or hooked up enough to be test dummy. I guess we'll have to wait for you know who to get it in the air. I also see on Sony's site that they are out of stock or backordered.

That would be so sweet if you could snap off 10 mp stills while rolling vid on one cam.

Usually the buffer on the cameras can only hold so much so it limits your still taking ability. In the past it was 3 shots per start/stop while recording. Pretty useless for skydiving unless you are perfect on every jump in timing of those 3 shots. Newer cameras might do more but if its a flash based camera a lot of the bus will be used just recording the video and it will not have a ton of free room to slip stills in also. I wouldn't count on full res 10 megapixel stills at large quanities with video on the same camera for a few years at least.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

The Manual states 7 Mp until card is full, during video shooting.
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

There have been statements (search DSE's posts) the harddrive can/will be parked when using the memory stick
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

I see that that is a HDD camcorder. Unless I have missed something, there aren't any HDD camcorders suitable for freefall. Have to stick with either miniDV or memorystick.

They call it a hybrid...part hard disc part memory schtick.

Maybe a cx 7 is a better choice...but a 7 mp still while shooting vid would still be sweet.

Yes i remember now . I looked at this camera at best buy this past sat. I remember it was heavier and wider than the cx-7.
My money is still with a cx7 smaller and lighter . I think if you want stills you have to shoot a still camera.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8741196&type=product&id=1202648528788

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

That would be so sweet if you could snap off 10 mp stills while rolling vid on one cam.

But what quality stills? Don't be spec'd into thinking that stills from a video camera with a miniscule sensor and marginal lens will give you images any where near the quality of a dedicated still camera image. Sensor pixels (and megapixels) are just a very small part of the image quality equation.

I hear ya. Im just tryin to find a handcammers solution to semi decent still options other than frame grabs.

simple...take along an outside cameraperson with a good digi slr.:P;)B|:)
jmy

You kiddin me? Don't you know how dangerous it is having someone that close to you in freefall?:P