USPA

New Sony cam for the sidemount gang...

Hmm, that's seems correct:

http://www.engadget.com/photos/sonys-900-hdr-tg1-worlds-smallest-1080p-camcorder/732285/

No thread to screw anything on. It has a 3,3-33 lens, but I can't find the sensor size anywhere, so can't tell what it's 35mm equivalant FOV will be...

But anyways, for the inferiour sidemount gang... they don't need lenses... :P:)

The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

The one I saw was only a shell, no working parts. I don't believe it has an AV/D (remote) connector.
IIRC, the lens face has a thread in it. It's just squared off. I'll have to dig back through my photos and see if I got a clean photo of the front.
I have not seen video from this cam, and currently, its a Euro-only release.

On http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Sonys-New-HDR-TG1-Pocket-Sized-AVCHD-Camcorder-34829.htm

The sensor size is given as 1/5", so that would roughly mean a crop factor of 10, so it would be a 33-330 35mm equivalent lens. Not extremly wide...
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

That shouldn't be a too big of a problem?

Who's going to start the "CX-7 with open LCD is killing my battery" thread? It looks like that will be the problem.

As far as that new camera, even before I heard the screen needs to be out to record, I was concerned about the battery life. It appears to have an enclosed battery, which usually means it's tiny, and there's no upgrade to a larger size.

On the contrary, the smaller batteries are even easier to carry in your jumpsuit pocket, so maybe we have a winner. Just judging by the size, that thing has to be a featherweight, and it's shooting HD footage to boot.

That shouldn't be a too big of a problem?

Who's going to start the "CX-7 with open LCD is killing my battery" thread? It looks like that will be the problem.

As far as that new camera, even before I heard the screen needs to be out to record, I was concerned about the battery life. It appears to have an enclosed battery, which usually means it's tiny, and there's no upgrade to a larger size.

On the contrary, the smaller batteries are even easier to carry in your jumpsuit pocket, so maybe we have a winner. Just judging by the size, that thing has to be a featherweight, and it's shooting HD footage to boot.

The open LCD was only to show that it works, no problem with closed LCD

It has the D A/V Connector, it's now on the spec website and sony's remote controler lists this cam at compatible.

It doesn't need a filter thread !
Once you paid for the camera, you won't have any money left for a wideangle lens. ;)
The price for the TG1 gets you a new CX7 PLUS a new topmount helmet...

No.1 reason NOT to be an astronaut: ...You can't drink beer at zero gravity...

here in Japan the TG1 costs less than the CX7.
I had one in my hands yesterday and 2 things.
1) it definatly does not have a filter thread
2) the screen does have to be open (can be fliped back in the open position) for the lens cover to open and i could not see the switch so it must be internal.
When i have access to the net with my own PC i will upload all the photos i took of it. some with the CX7 for comparrison.(got a bit snap happy in the sony store in Osaka.) Almost there if it had the tread for a lens it would be the Bollox for a lot of the FF side mont brigade.
decised against it for a few reasons. (no lens thread and no night shot) now i realy want one of the Hybrid cameras Sony are bringing out. Hybrid plus with Mini DVTape Memory stick and Internal memory would be best (backwards compatability for all my old footage) if not then a nice small (side mount) HDD cam that parks the heads with memory stick and internal memory will be the next best option. this way i can either dump footage from the memory stick to the hdd or record direct on to hdd when not jumping. best of all worlds.

True, the list price of the TG1 is lower then the one for the CX7, but here in Switzerland I can buy a CX7 for ~1100$ (promotion), or pre-order a TG1 for ~1500$ (shipping in May), in the same shop. Once the TG1 has been available for a while, the street price will come down, too.
But without a filter thread, this is not relevant anyway... unless you build your own wide-angle converter support bracket.

No.1 reason NOT to be an astronaut: ...You can't drink beer at zero gravity...

pictures as promised yesterday
http://www.kentaylor.net/gallery/main.php/v/osaka/
for the moment i will wait. but with only an old (dodgy) camcorder at the moment i cant wait that long. lets see what DSE gets his hands on at at NAB may be some other stuff he can tell us about after that.
also lets hope that someone can find out if the heads park on the HDD hybrid cameras.

I was looking at one this evening here in Canada. It was introduced about 2 weeks ago.
The unit is impressive. the item that I looked at has threads for lens on the exterior, opposed to interior like most other sony products.
The housing is light weight and yet it appears to be tough. It is not a plastic housing and yet I can't remember what it was made out of... but tough.
This cam is really inexpensive ($980.00CND) compared to the CX7 when it was first introduced.
Though the good news is I have been able to find the CX7 for about $600CND, when that Sony has discontinued them here is Canada.

I was looking at one this evening here in Canada. It was introduced about 2 weeks ago.
The unit is impressive. the item that I looked at has threads for lens on the exterior, opposed to interior like most other sony products.
The housing is light weight and yet it appears to be tough. It is not a plastic housing and yet I can't remember what it was made out of... but tough.
This cam is really inexpensive ($980.00CND) compared to the CX7 when it was first introduced.
Though the good news is I have been able to find the CX7 for about $600CND, when that Sony has discontinued them here is Canada.

So you found a TG1 that has lense threads on it? Or is it a different model? I have been considering the idea of getting a TG1 and using epoxy to glue some threads onto the front of it for attaching a filter.

I haven't had one in my hands, would it be possible to machine the front of the camera to accept a lense / filter?
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka