jt40ronin

umm how did this happen

Ok if anybody can figure out how this could happen, I would appreciate it. I was asked to finish this pack job after it was on the ground ready to be put into the bag. Its a velocity 89 (I think, insanely small either way). The owner jumped it, it opened on heading, and he looked up and saw this and very calmly thought "this isnt right" and proceeded to have a nice reserve ride. Anyway I feel partially responsible because we have not been able to figure it out. General consensus is that it is a partial step through that was missed. Any thoughts

pack job.jpg

Someone didn't trace their line groups up after setting the brakes, otherwise they would of caught it before they even got to the packing part.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Any thoughts

Here's a quite UNeducated one...seeing as how I am still not sure what a stepthrough is and what it would look like in the air. Going on what Phree said about it being a steering line...

Would it be possible to not have set the left brake until it was laid out on the packing mat, and somehow it was not caught as a looping through the other lines? And then the lines were not cleared from below the toggle, but rather just grabbed closer to the actual parachute to shake it out (or whatever), and then the normal packing occurred?

Was there any wind just before he packed it? I ask because my last jump was in serious winds, and by the time I managed to get me and the chute back to the packing tent, I had a bollux of lines and even a knot or two. I unstowed the brakes, "ran the brakes" (where you clear them of twisties? Don't know a better word for it), reset the brakes, and then tucked my fingers between the groups and checked the continuity from the toggles to the cascades. (Did that make any sense?) Once I was positive there were no more knots and that everything was in place, I asked my packer to do the same, and double check me. It was fine.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

umm not quite sure how he did not notice it. All the lines were together when I got to it so I would not have noticed anyway. It was the last pack job after the sunset load, so maybe fatigue and talking had something to do with it. But like I said before I still feel partially responsible. Cuz I did do part of the pack job, and it mal'd

[QUOTE]seeing as how I am still not sure what a stepthrough is and what it would look like in the air.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, me either, can anyone post pictures of step throughs if you have em somewhere on your harddrive? I would sure appreciate it.

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

[QUOTE]seeing as how I am still not sure what a stepthrough is and what it would look like in the air.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, me either, can anyone post pictures of step throughs if you have em somewhere on your harddrive? I would sure appreciate it.

A step through is just where the container passes through the lines. The mal in the picture probably occured after the container passed between the D lines and brake lines on the right hand side. It often happend like this: You come in from a jump and drop your canopy on the floor, then your set the rig down on top of the lines. If you then pick the canopy up, the rig might pass through the lines, resulting in a step through. Like everyone else mentioned, a continuity check should catch it. I also daisy chain my lines before I walk in to help prevent something like this from happening.

Hmm. Now that I have typed that, it strikes me as something that is easier to explain with a demonstration than written paragraph. If you ask a packer or experienced jumper at the DZ how it could happen, they should be able to show you pretty easily.

I wonder how anyone could've packed that without noticing there was something wrong.

Me too. Does anyone pack without walking up the lines?

actually on a brake line stepthrough, you can walk the lines up to the slider and push the mess into the canopy. One important step that many people miss is to check the brake line from the slider to the attachment points. I've attached a picture showing this. If you reach around the slider and pull up the brake lines, you should be able to see your knuckle unobstructed by lines, if you see lines across them, then you've got something wrong. This picture is from a series on my web site showing this stage.
http://www.sidsrigging.com/Articles/packing/packing_part_3.htm
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

brake_clearing4.jpg

Actually, it looks like it is a step through on one of the A-B lines. The flipped around line is going through the front left grommet of the slider and the tension is bringing the front left riser in. It is definately something that should be noticed packing because it is below the slider. If you are separating the brakes, CDs and ABs and walking the lines up, it should be pretty obvious. It most likely happened dropping the rig on top of the lines in a ball of !#@$ after jumping it and one was wrapped around when it was picked up.

-Hixxx

-Hixxx
death,as men call him, ends what they call men
-but beauty is more now than dying’s when

I had something strange like that happen to me once. I'm pretty anal about making sure all is well after you run up the lines. Anyway packed it and a couple of days later at the DZ I unpacked it because something felt funny about the pack job. And sure enough, the C & D lines on the left side were wrapped around the lines on the right side. Quite strange to look at. I still have no idea how that happened.

In response to Mr hixxx and Andy, the owner of the rig has been jumpin for many years and has several thousands of jumps. But like he said to me after it happens "Nobodys perfect and shit happens". Umm as I recall it was quite windy that day, and he always stows his brakes immediatly after landing. So it could have happened in the landing area, while fighting to get control of the canopy.

No big deal either way, he was due for a repack, and he took full responsibility for not noticing it when he walked up his lines.

Jason, you didn't do it.

"E" stepped through it and SOME HOW, he missed it. He propacked it and set it on the ground for you to skinny up and put in the bag. It was like that by the time you got to it. I'm sure of this.

If you started over you would have found it.

By the way, it's an 84.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

looks like a line over that cleared itself to the wrong side,or if some one didnt make a line control before packing(ie the line could be there after the last landing).

I dont think you have the guilt of the mal as you only put it inthe bag and into the hardness.If it were you im sure you did it by popouse and then you has the rigth to feel guilty.But as said im sure the previus packer F###ed up

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I had this exact malfunction a while ago, it started to spin rather quickly so was my first chop.

My analysis of how it happened for me.

I did a line check as normal, and packed the main as normal. As I was stowing the lines and got close to the container, I noticed - somehow, the pilot chute had managed to get itself passed through the lines. I promptly fixed this by removing the pilot chute from the lines, finished packing and went for the jump.

In hindsight, what happened was completely different. The pilot chute did NOT get passed through the lines, while I was stowing, one lines got wrapped around the bag. It appeared to me as the pilot chute sticking throuhg the lines, but the reality was one line was wrapped around the pilot chute. The problem was that in addition to being wrapped around the pilot chute, that line was also wrapped around every other line in the packjob.

Instead of pulling out the pilot chute, the correct action shouldve been to grab that one line, and wrap it around the bag completely.

Hindsight being that the REAL correct answer would've been to pull off all the lines and restow them, but - well, I was young and stupid.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.