bluEagle

PANASONIC SDR S150 EG

Short answer, it's not a Sony therefore chances are high it'll break awfully soon.

Longer answer: haven't looked into the specs real hard because of that, but seems to have an optical stabilising system that'll probably cause the video to bounce around in freefall. No lanc of course and no substitute for it. AFAIK there are no SD card cameras (yet) that produce real high resolution (DV/HDV quality) footage.

Expensive answer: go ahead and try it, come back after 50 jumps and tell us if a) it still works and b) it produces anything resembling decent video :P

ciel bleu,
Saskia

The Panasonic SDR S150 is used at my dropzone (Germany, gojump.de) for professional camera work. Mostly tandem videos (by handycam or cam flyer). We have several of them in use and they all worked flawless during the whole season 2007.
This modell is maybe not perfect for ambitious film makers considered it's limited control options but for skydiving it's great. Make and performance are solid.
Right now is nowhere a cam with SD offering this picture quality without going HD, afaik. It's also neat lightweight.
I recommend the SDR 150.

Blue Skies!

My wife Mary has been using the earlier model SDR-S100 for about a year here in Grand Bend Ontario Canada. She videos primarily AFF students. Colours are great (3 CCD), no problems with image stabilzation, downloading from SD card to computer is quick, editing to DVD is easy (we use Womble MPEG). It's very lightweight and compact- and no tape! It's not HD but we definitely like it.

It's an MPEG camcorder; some NLE's can't support it. Limited functionality, but that may not be a concern to you. At a cost of less than 500.00 and tapeless workflow, it might work well for you if HD imaging isn't necessary.
Superlight, that's a big plus. Native 4:3, so it's not gonna give you widescreen.
It really boils down to what you want to do...if it's for tandems and you're not competing with others that have intra-frame cams (DV) or HD cam systems, it's a viable option. If you're just looking for a fun freefly cam, I'd say it's a very good option if the price is right.
But as Saskia said, it's not Sony.....so longevity isn't on its side.:P