beowulf

HDV editing notes

I have now just bought a new computer specifically for editing HDV. So I thought I would write a review of my HDV editing experience.

Hardware
Sony HDR-HC5

Dell Inspiron 530
Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 ghz
4 gig RAM
320 gig harddrive with a bay for adding another harddrive later on.
1394 port

Software
Windows Vista Home Premium
Windows XP Pro

Sony Vegas Pro 8
Sony DVD Architect Pro 4.5

Notes
I bought this computer through the DellOutlet.com and got a really good dea. It was a "Scratch and Dent" computer, but I have yet to find any scratchs or dents.:)
It came with Windows Vista Home Premium, so initially I thought I would leave it on as a learning experience. I have seen Vista before and I really don't care for all fancy visual effects. The visual effects use a lot of system resources so I always disable them and do my best to make it look like Windows 98 as much as possible. Even with doing this the OS used around 500 mb of RAM. Make sure you get lots memory. 4 gig was the maximum amount I could put on this computer. Over all I thought Vista was ok I could tolerate leaving it in place. I had no problems running Vegas Pro 8. I was able to edit HDV with out any problems. I rendered SD video from the HDV and also AVCHD with out any problems. The key is to have a very fast processor as the rendering process will utilze most of it. With the quad core processor it used about 80 to 90 percent. I don't think I would want to do any rendering on a computer with less then a quad core processor. I then tried to write a DVD using Sony DVD Architect. It opened fine, I was able to create and edit menu's with a problem. It kept erroring out everytime I would try to write a DVD. Unfortunately I don't have the patients anymore to spend the time to figure out why it wouldn't work. I just formated and installed Windows XP. XP uses about 300 mb of RAM. I haven't had on problem with XP. Everything works with out having to do anything extra.

It just has the built in video card. Intel G33/G31
I don't think I really need a 400 dollar video card for video editing. I think those fancy cards are really not that much help for video editing. They are more directed toward 3D processing for high end gaming.

"Imovie"? are you wanting to know if they have Vegas Pro 8 for Mac's? If so I am pretty sure they don't, but DSE would be better able to answer that question.

Nope...Vegas won't run on a Mac, unless you use Bootcamp.
And no...fast GFX cards don't benefit *most* editing systems. Some NLE's have limited graphics acceleration for rendering, but nothing is optimized for the cards the way the games are.

I've been looking at getting a new setup but have a question about RAM. From what I've read it isn't worth having more than 2 gig of RAM unless you have a 64 bit operating system - is your version of XP 64 bit or not?

regards

gary
http://www.garywainwright.co.uk

Instagram gary_wainwright_uk

I've been looking at getting a new setup but have a question about RAM. From what I've read it isn't worth having more than 2 gig of RAM unless you have a 64 bit operating system - is your version of XP 64 bit or not?

That's partially true. I have XP 32-bit and I have 4GB RAM installed... only 3GB of it is accessible. So I'm wasting 1GB.

I originally had 2GB but had the opportunity to buy 2GB more for only $25 after rebates so even with half of the RAM being wasted, it was still worth it. I could easily upgrade to 64-bit if I wanted, but it's not that important to me.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I am still researching the memory issue. Techincally Windows XP does support up to 4 Gig of memory. At least that is what Microsoft has in their documentation. But there is an issue with XP seeing more then 3 gig. I briefly read through the issue on MS website. I need to read some more about it.
Vista had no problem with seeing all 4 gig.

Vista had no problem with seeing all 4 gig.

Vista 32-bit will "see" that all 4GB is installed, but if you look at your available RAM in the task manager performance tab, you will see that your total available system RAM is 3.5GB minus your video card RAM. Same as XP. It's a limitation of 32-bit.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Nope...Vegas won't run on a Mac, unless you use Bootcamp.
And no...fast GFX cards don't benefit *most* editing systems. Some NLE's have limited graphics acceleration for rendering, but nothing is optimized for the cards the way the games are.

Can we get by without investing in Vegas Pro 8 by way of Vegas Movie Studio or Movie Studio Platinum?

Nevermind...I found some posts from a while back. Looks like Platinum will be fine, but...

With a script or template, would I be able to capture a full days video roll, put in different start and end points then drag what I want into timeline...burn dvd. Repeat?

I am the only editor at my DZ and sometimes face 40 dubs on a Sunday.

Here is an explaination that I found on the MS TechNet Forums.

XP will always SEE 4GB of RAM. But, it will take a portion of that RAM and devote it to system resources when you have that much RAM. For example, I have on my other machine a Core2Duo e6600 with an eVGA 680i SLI MB, and 4 GB of G.Skillz RAM. Windows "displays" 2.75GB of RAM with 1 256mb video card. But if I add another 256mb video card for SLI, windows "displays" my ram as 2.5GB. Taking away 256MB of "displayed" RAM when a device with 256mb of video ram is added. Alot of people confuse the "displayed" amount of ram when using 4GB of RAM as their total RAM amount. This is not the case. The system still has 4GB of RAM, Windows knows it is there, and is using some of it in a "dedicated" manner. The "dispayed" amount is the maximum amount of available RAM for a SINGLE "process". I hope that clears some things up for you.

Here is another TechNet post that explains in as easy terms as possible.

I will try to help.

Windows XP Pro is 32-bit
All Memory is managed by addresses.
32-bit OS'es can see (can address) up to 4GB of RAM.

HOW Windows XP uses the addresses can vary depending on how the motherboard was designed.

System RAM is the DIMM's that you install on the motherboard.
Video Cards have RAM of their own embedded on the card.

Some motherboards force Windows to use one address space to manage the System RAM AND the Video Cards RAM. When this is the case, Windows XP will be able to detact 4GB MINUS the amount of RAM on your Video Card(s).

I can go into a LOT more detail, but I think that is a simple way to state the main points everyone is talking about here.
Does that help?

Could you send me anything you have found regarding this. Here is what I found on MS.com.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888137/en-us

It's beyond my understanding but I have a few friends who make their living in the computing field (Western Digital, Google, etc) and they have all told me the same thing (3.5GB - video RAM = available RAM in 32-bit). This holds true in my experience... I have 500MB video RAM and 3GB available RAM in XP 32-bit.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I bought Vegas Pro, partially for the scripting. Turns out to be much more of a project than I expected. There are a few different programming languages you can use, but it's not simple like creating a macro in microsoft word. It's some serious programming. So unless I figure out what I want a script to do (which I don't know yet) and get someone to help me program it, or someone else shares their ready-made scripts (hint hint!), it's not a feature I'll likely be using.

I really like a lot of things about vegas. Some things seem much easier in vegas than they do in premiere (although it's been a long time since i've used premiere and it wasn't the latest version) and other programs I've used. But other things seem to take me longer. I haven't cut my time to edit a tandem video to anything reasonable yet... but a lot of that has to do with the way I film (in no particular order and not to a particular "script").

Dave

Unfortunately, Movie Studio Platinum does not support scripting. You *can* use a template, and this is what a couple guys at our DZ do with MSPlatinum

Looking at my situation, would you see the need to use the scripting feature?

I mostly look for speed, so scripting is very important to me, but at the same time, I taught a videographer on our DZ to cut in MSPlatinum, and he was kickin' ass very fast with it. Once you have the concept of 10Key down, you can cut VERY fast in MSPlatinum. Honestly, I don't use scripts that often anymore for tandems, as once I'm rolling with two templates, I don't need them anymore.
YMMV

BTW, Dave...scripting is just VB.

Yeah, but when most people hear "scripting" they think of something more like advanced macro recording. Personally, I love the power, but that power comes at the cost of more complexity and a steeper learning curve.

Yeah, but when most people hear "scripting" they think of something more like advanced macro recording. Personally, I love the power, but that power comes at the cost of more complexity and a steeper learning curve.

I 'spose...I don't. I think of Apple script and custom coding, but there are probably those that think of FilmTools or Director as well (showing my age now).:P