sundevil777

What containers are well suited for large reserves with small mains

I believe many would prefer to have this combination, but are limited by the manufacturers available size combination limits, or by what would turn out to be an ugly rig (style does matter somewhat)

What are your thoughts on containers that accomodate such a combination? I have read that Voodoo's are quite limited in this regard.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Well I know that both Racer and Mirage will make their containers to handle any combination of canopies you desire.

My wife jumps a Racer, I jump a Mirage, and both of our reserves are significantly larger than our mains. You would never know it looking at hers, and mine is not noticeable except for the fact that is is, and I quote many others "one BIG Mirage!".

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

There is a way to accommodate any two canopies in a rig without changing the look of the container system.

No production rig/company has been willing to make the relatively minor change necessary to accommodate this. Not yet...but it's coming.

If you're jumping a napkin, it'd be nice to have a reserve that is within spec., right? The dual-square study aside (which has some very salient points!), people are jumping reserves that are simply too small for them these days....

We need to change that.

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

I believe many would prefer to have this combination, but are limited by the manufacturers available size combination limits...

I currently jump Wings with a Precision 249 Dash M and Icarus 169. And, its been my experience that most manufacturers will customize your container (within reason) to accomodate larger reserves with smaller mains.

or by what would turn out to be an ugly rig (style does matter somewhat)

See... We continue to sacrifice safety and reason for aesthetics and kewl.

The only thing that's ugly is the end result of a reserve that's too small.

There is a way to accommodate any two canopies in a rig without changing the look of the container system.

No production rig/company has been willing to make the relatively minor change necessary to accommodate this. Not yet...but it's coming.

Come on...tell us more, and when is the Viper coming out of the closet?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

If you have a rig made to fit you, you should be able to specify what sizes of canopys will be used, My reflex was made for me, (defunct company) I told them 150 tempo, and a 135 stiletto would be the largest canopys it would ever hold, it now is holding a 85 extreme and I could go smaller on the main.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

The thing to keep in mind and the reason some manufacturers have limits on what they will do , is because of the 2 canopies out at once scenario. I know sunpath is one of the manufacturers that limits what they will mix and match based on their testing.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

We need to change that.

I dunno. I think a lot more people are dieing from small mains then they are from small reserves..

More people jump their mains. Could be a co-relation ;)
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Come on...tell us more, and when is the Viper coming out of the closet?

Sorry, I tried to give it away once, but the mfgs. I spoke to didn't want the info. Until we're ready to release it and sell it, I'm not giving anything away that someone else might take and productionize. We've already lost at least one unique design feature because people were talking about it a year ago. Guess we just need to hurry the hell up, eh...? ;)

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.

Mirage and Wings have special sizes for this, I don't know about any other mfgs. though. Wings calls it the "EXT" sizes.

-Hixxx
death,as men call him, ends what they call men
-but beauty is more now than dying’s when

Mirage and Wings have special sizes for this, I don't know about any other mfgs. though. Wings calls it the "EXT" sizes.

For canopies differing by 50-75ft., yes. But I'm talking about having a 249 reserve and a non-crossbraced 120.

Cross-bracing allows mfgs. a lot of "marketing room" because they pack up so much bulkier than a conventional canopy does. And since most (many) people flying at 2.0 are flying cross-braced stuff, this works. But most of those same people are flying their reserves loaded at 1.5+, because of the cool factor of not wanting any bigger container than the smallest one they can get their main into. So whatever size container that is, they get a reserve to match.

IMO, a truly next generation rig should be able to handle a 1.0 loaded reserve and a 2.0 loaded main, cross-braced or not.

IMO, a truly next generation rig should be able to handle a 1.0 loaded reserve and a 2.0 loaded main, cross-braced or not.

I can foresee becoming a test pilot soon ... HMMmmmmm
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Right to the point! I posted this question because I think so many others should be enabled/encouraged to get a reasonably sized reserve. I am an old guy who wants to jump for a lot longer, so I already do this for both of my canopies.

Unfortunately, a good looking/proportional rig does matter to many, so if a small main/large reserve looks better than often is the case now, then more would do it.

Since the feature on the Viper has already been 'stolen', mind telling us what it was?

This is from the Sunrise website.

The Longer, Sleeker Wings!

The Wing EXT series is specifically designed for taller jumpers (generally 5'10" and up) who either:

A) fly small (under 120 square foot) high performance mains but like the security of a larger reserve (ie: 75 Velocity and a Raven-M 135),

OR

B) have fairly large main and reserve canopies but still need a longer container, to ensure that the BOC deployment handle is in the right place (not too high up on his/her back).

We will publish a sizing chart for the EXT series shortly. We can accommodate just about any combination of canopies possible. 200 square foot reserve and a 109 square foot main? Not a problem! We can build a Wings or Wings EXT that will be perfect for you and your canopies!

EXT Photos Coming Soon!

Please note: For shorter jumpers (less than 5'10" tall) or those with short torsos, an EXT may sit too low on the back, therefore a "regular" Wings would be preferable to an EXT in some cases. No worries though because we are making enhancements to all our new Wings, not just the EXTs!
death,as men call him, ends what they call men
-but beauty is more now than dying’s when

Since the feature on the Viper has already been 'stolen', mind telling us what it was?

:P That wasn't the feature that was stolen, so no dice...It'll be worth the wait!

Now I might be wrong, But I believe that Velocity Sports, makers of the infinity will make whatever combination you have. For some reason and I cannot back this up completely right now, that a guy on rec dot, I think it was winsor, but I'm probably wrong, Has a rig to hold around a 220-240 reserve, and a Crossbraced 90 something. At the time I thought wow, cause they were the only manufacturer that I knew that did that.

--
Jonathan Bartlett
D-24876
AFF-I