nraines

New Lanc

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/540091-REG/Sony_RM_AV2_REMOTE_COMMANDER_f_A_V_R.html

I have been waiting for something like this to be released by Sony for the new cams. I know there has been chatter about someone working to incorporate this style connector into a new cam-eye type control/indicator.

I know there are also many who dismiss the need for an indicator. I have jumped a CX7 many times without forgetting to turn it on. I still would enjoy the "insurance" of a light. Im hoping that i proper indicator is soon to be available. If not, it may be possible to hack one of these to get the desired results.

HI

The CX6/7 works with cameye II :)I have made a adaptor from 2,5mm jack to the AV jack. All functions, accept the alarm for less tape works. Have not tested the low batt. alarm yet (2 month:$), but i´m sure it works.

The av connector comes from a SPK-HCB underwater housing, and it´s in 90 angleB|.

I have some cheap chinese av cables that i´m trying to make the adaptor from, but have to make the 90 angle plug myself, maybe with polyester.

If i find a solution i maybe going to produce and sell them if required :)

Thanks for the info man! This is very impressive.
We would have thought the LANC (like the CamEye) and that new Sony remote through the AV port were two totally different protocols. I would never even think about it the solution is just that simple, to splice an AV plug onto a LANC device (CamEye).
I modified the Sony AV remote to make it "skydiver friendly" which is a real pain in a butt. But this solution is very simple.
Thanks again!
-Laszlo-

Right now I have a HC5 and don't have a need to modify my current CamEye2. I expect my next camera to be solidstate. I figured by then there would be something similar to the CamEye2. I don't need or want any extra features that the CamEye doesn't have, so this will make my eventual transition to solidstate that much easier.

I have a few thoughts on this mod.

1) You'll need to make yourself a cable. The two lines that are needed are not within any AV/D cables I've modified. It becomes pretty hairy and you'll need some good soldering skills.

2) Sony's AV Remote controllers works at the line level of 2.5v. By using this mod, it force this line to 4.5volts. With that said, if there is no protection on this, you can shorten the life of this port.

-Trunk
HYPOXIC

Thanks for the info man! This is very impressive.
We would have thought the LANC (like the CamEye) and that new Sony remote through the AV port were two totally different protocols. I would never even think about it the solution is just that simple, to splice an AV plug onto a LANC device (CamEye).
I modified the Sony AV remote to make it "skydiver friendly" which is a real pain in a butt. But this solution is very simple.
Thanks again!
-Laszlo-

Hi Laszlo

On your RM-AV2 there is for sure(not have it myself) 4 wire out to the AV plug. If you have the remote unplugged and set your multimeter to Kohm, there should be around 100 Kohm between GND and one of the 3 other wires (blue?). The solution is to find a 100Kohm resistor, and put that in between the wires when you make your adapter.
The camcorder now accept lanc B|

Thanks man!
Years ago I've been modifying my 4MP Sony DSC still camera remote for the bite switch. That one had a similar "trick", installing a 10K resistor. I thought that remote would work with any Sony products through the LANC, but it only worked with that practicular Sony camera. It wasn't a LANC, but deffinitely used some sort of BUS to communicate with the camera.

Hi DSE

Here it is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whSQfasjeBQ

I have som video quality problems when freeflying, but will post video later.

Daniel

MAn, you should not have given your secrets away:P I dont know about patent laws but i am guessing you may have been able to patent it. Now you just told everyone how simple it is.

Congrats on getting it done and good on ya for telling the family how to go about it. Might of just missed your million dollar payday though:P

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Daniel,
How certain are you that all the various camcorders using the D link are protected against the higher voltage?

Hi
Not sure what you mean, when you do the mood, the camera itself sends out the higher voltage to drive the lanc equipment. The underwater housings(SPK-HCB/HCC) and the RM-AV2 works the same way.

Hi DSE

Here it is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whSQfasjeBQ

I have som video quality problems when freeflying, but will post video later.

Daniel

MAn, you should not have given your secrets away:P I dont know about patent laws but i am guessing you may have been able to patent it. Now you just told everyone how simple it is.

Congrats on getting it done and good on ya for telling the family how to go about it. Might of just missed your million dollar payday though:P

Hi
I don´t think i´m able to get a patent on a Sony patent plug[:/]

Just glad to help the family :)

Check it under a scope. The camera sends out 5.6v to power the controller. The "lanc" signal however runs at 2.5v on the underwater housing and I would assume the sony controller. The cameye physically drives this line to 5v and it appears the camera clamps it down to 4.5v. Lets hope it doesn't blow up that port and screw up your camera.
HYPOXIC

Check it under a scope. The camera sends out 5.6v to power the controller. The "lanc" signal however runs at 2.5v on the underwater housing and I would assume the sony controller. The cameye physically drives this line to 5v and it appears the camera clamps it down to 4.5v. Lets hope it doesn't blow up that port and screw up your camera.

On Sony cameras with both the lanc and av connector there is a physical connection between the lanc pin on both ports. So i belive it is the same input on the caneras with only the AV port.