tripleflip18

Canon Vixia HF100 New Small HD thats coming out.

Hey guys. I need a new Camcorder. The one i have is huge sony from like 99..... Anyhow this is small and Flash memory. The question is, if its only LCD and there is no viewfinder how will i be able to keep it enclosed and still turn it on/off?

I got only 50 jumps but i need it for my wedding anyway so im looking ahead when i actually have enough jumps to use a camera I wanna have one by then. Can anyone explain or at least say yes I'll be able to get it to work with skydiving.

Thank you!

most people go with a sony pc-1000....great camera...even for your wedding! But dont jump it before 200 jumps ;)

The pc-1000 is getting old and it's sd. You should look into the sony cx7, I bought one recently, it's hd and uses solid state memory to record on.

most people go with a sony pc-1000....great camera...even for your wedding! But dont jump it before 200 jumps ;)

The pc-1000 is getting old and it's sd. You should look into the sony cx7, I bought one recently, it's hd and uses solid state memory to record on.

thats what the new HF is, solid memory, but also video quality much superior

Canon has a unique (and generally superior) stabilization system that even when disabled, still permits the lens to float freely. You'll have a very jittery image.
The Sony CX7 is the AVCHD unit that most skydivers are purchasing.
Additionally, with the Canon you will not be able to find remote indicator/control devices due to their proprietary plug for a/d output, and it's unlikely that skydiving manufacturers will be making boxes for anything but Sony camcorders.

darn, not a good news, Canon really kicks sony's butt in quality, they will have 1080 at 30p, as well as 24p which really sets it apart from any sony's at the moment. Looks like i might have to get 2. do any skidivers open camera container to turn on the camara, put it in and let it run till the landing? how bad is this jittery effect? shouldn't it only be for the first few seconds at most when you're actually accelerating?

Sony has 1080p30 as well, so what? Using it in skydiving for any but the very best flyers (which clearly doesn't include you, nor me) Significantly moreso with 24p.
As far as image quality, that's so subjective that it's not really discussable.
Seems you're pretty stuck on the Canon, so buy it. Just don't plan on using it for anything skydiving-related.
Curious how many hours you have behind a Vixia? Or the CX7, HC5, or HC9?
http://www.spottedeagle.com/Skydive/CES_cameras.html

When you start to skydive and wear a camera, you'll understand more about th burble the helmet and your body creates. Acceleration isn't the issue.

SR12, V1U, Z7, A1 all do 30p. For skydiving, 30p is useless. And the Vixia at half rez for 30p, is equally useless for skydiving. On the ground, it's a great camcorder.
How much experience do you have with 30p?

SR12, V1U, Z7, A1 all do 30p. For skydiving, 30p is useless. And the Vixia at half rez for 30p, is equally useless for skydiving. On the ground, it's a great camcorder.
How much experience do you have with 30p?

none of the sony's do progressive video's. They are all interlace. including all of the models you gave me.
I never had any camera with 30p because thats totally new from canon in HD, just came out with consumer versions of cameras.

P = Progressive.......

I never had any camera with 30p because thats totally new from canon in HD

Kind of obvious from your above statement.
Do more research. as you're missing a _lot_ of information.;)
All of the camcorders I listed do 30p. And all but the A1 and Z1 do 24p. Some of them even do 25p.
But if you don't know how to shoot P, and you're buying a buzz word, you're going to be in trouble. If your work is for a paying client, then you're in deep trouble.

I never had any camera with 30p because thats totally new from canon in HD

Kind of obvious from your above statement.
Do more research. as you're missing a _lot_ of information.;)
All of the camcorders I listed do 30p. And all but the A1 and Z1 do 24p. Some of them even do 25p.
But if you don't know how to shoot P, and you're buying a buzz word, you're going to be in trouble. If your work is for a paying client, then you're in deep trouble.

How is shooting 1080p more diffucult or different then shooting 1080i?

btw I did a quick search for info on just one of the cameras you listed and quickly found that yes it does record in 1080p 30. It took me just a few seconds to find that. So tripleflip18, I don't know where you get your info from, but it is wrong.

How is shooting 1080p more diffucult or different then shooting 1080i?

btw I did a quick search for info on just one of the cameras you listed and quickly found that yes it does record in 1080p 30. It took me just a few seconds to find that. So tripleflip18, I don't know where you get your info from, but it is wrong.

Beowulf,
When shooting 30p vs 60i, you're cramming the same amount of information into half the amount of resolved space (frames). Therefore, it's very easy to introduce judder. When Sony first introduced 24p to video more than a decade ago, it was easy, because film makers were the only shooters using the format. When 24p and 30p became common in small format camcorders, quality of video took a serious hit not because of the feature, but because amateur and pro-sumers didn't know how to properly deal with the cadence. Low framerate progressive requires a slow hand, steady eye, and understanding of shutterspeed/framerate relationships. It's not plug n' play. For skydiving, unless you're shooting at fairly high shutterspeeds (1/250 or higher), 30p could be a nightmare, and may trigger photosensitive epileptics. 60p doesn't have this concern. Stanford did a test a couple years ago with then-Thomson, now-Grass Valley, and it was determined that 30p can be very problematic for fast-action content if not properly managed. It's why many sports are broadcast at 720p60. It can give people headaches if not properly managed, due to strobing.

Hard drives and high altitude don't mix well.

I don't know whether DSE has tested it yet but I believe he has mentioned that it is an option to disable the hard drive in the SR12 and record to a Memory stick so it may be possible to use in freefall.

the biggest Question I have about this is there an efficient way to get the data from the memory stick to the internal hard drive. Which is a question that I haven't seen an answer to.

I believe it states on the sony website... that it is possible to transfer from the internal HD to the MS but it does not say the other is possible.
From Sony's SR12 page.

Hybrid Recording to Hard Disk Drive or Memory Stick® Media
Hybrid recording technology delivers a new level of flexibility for transferring your video footage and digital photos from the camcorder to compatible viewing devices. Record to the camcorder’s internal hard disk drive, or choose instead to record to removable Memory Stick Duo™ media or Memory Stick PRO Duo™ media. You can even select from various dubbing functions to easily copy video or still images from the hard disk drive to Memory Stick media -- without using a PC. Images recorded or transferred to Memory Stick media can then be played directly on a PS3 or PC to share your memories with friends and family.

Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...