Acoisa

Nikon Remote Question

Is anyone jumping a top mounted Nikon on a camera helmet (not flat top pro)?

If yes could you please post a picture of your setup?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm about to buy a new Nikon which I also want to use for skydiving later on. A friend told me that the way the Nikon remote cable plugs in to the camera provides a potential snag hazard for the lines. That friend now jumps with a Canon even though he prefers Nikon.

Since I'm a Nikon guy I'm interested to see how you guys worked around this problem.

Is anyone jumping a top mounted Nikon on a camera helmet (not flat top pro)?

If yes could you please post a picture of your setup?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm about to buy a new Nikon which I also want to use for skydiving later on. A friend told me that the way the Nikon remote cable plugs in to the camera provides a potential snag hazard for the lines. That friend now jumps with a Canon even though he prefers Nikon.

Since I'm a Nikon guy I'm interested to see how you guys worked around this problem.

The remote sticks out on the Canon too. Unless on the Nikon it sticks out way more, I wouldn't consider that a big enough reason not to stick with Nikon.

Iwan

Can Nikon take better pictures?
Do you have a bunch of Nikon lenses already?
Yes the D70s/D80 plug stick out far, no right angle plug available.
Why to make it even more complicated than it is (like getting Nikon)
It is your choice of course, but it will be more difficult to use it for jumping.

yes...
I have a Nikon D 70S .
i use a bonehead BatRak helmet.
it has an eight and a half inch wide base plate.

the Nikon sits over my right eye and a Sony
HDR HC-3 sits over my left eye. They are both mounted with Manfrotto quick releases... the sony is slightly forward of the Nikon, which allows for good alignment of the port on the Nikon, which accepts the shutter release jack...
( It's a "square" 'Laszlo' adapter)

the remote for the Nikon goes into it , right near the point where the control switches for the camcorder are located...
however they are NOT in the way of each other.
in fact the plug for the nikon remote, helps to steer my finger to the place where the On/Off switch for the camcorder is...and then just below the remote plug, is the standby /record button...see picture DSC04435~1

i do use a cam eye. but do not turn the camera on and off with it...I use the camcorder switches...

This set up works, only if the still camera is mounted on the right side of the base plate...

If the Nikon were all by itself,, then yes, maybe the remote plug WOULD be hanging out there... but with this configuration, the Sony , somewhat shields the remote from exposure to lines, or risers...

ps. hc3 shown with raynox 5050 lens...

perfectly fine camera... though it is a few years old now. D 80 is a great one too...
no so sure about the less costly D 40 package...\

good luck
jimmy

a3914
d12122

I jump my D80 front-mounted:
http://www.paracentrumteuge.nl/images/stories/nieuwspagina/highres/_dsc7403.jpg

A friend of mine has his D70s top-mounted:
http://www.paracentrumteuge.nl/component/option,com_zoom/Itemid,489/page,view/catid,42/PageNo,1/key,29/hit,1/

Another friend with a front-mounted D200/D300:
http://www.paracentrumteuge.nl/component/option,com_zoom/Itemid,489/page,view/catid,41/PageNo,1/key,59/hit,1/

Nikons are great cameras to jump, stay away from the D40(x) and D60 though. D70s (not D70) and D80 are the best cameras to jump IMO, if you want to shell out more cash and have no problem with the weight, D200 and D300 are great too.

Most people on my DZ slice open the remote for D70s/D80 and glue it back together at an 90o angle. The D200/D300 remotes already are at 90o. The D50/D70/D70s/D80 are (also) jumpable with a modified IR remote but that is somewhat of a hassle, wouldn't recommend it.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Do you have a bunch of Nikon lenses already?
Yes the D70s/D80 plug stick out far, no right angle plug available.
Why to make it even more complicated than it is (like getting Nikon)
It is your choice of course, but it will be more difficult to use it for jumping.

I've used both an early DSLR (10D) from Canon and a Nikon D200 for concert photography. For me the Nikon is far easier and more intuitive to operate. I really like the way the user interface is designed..
My Lenses and D200 were stolen from my hotel room so now I can spend some insurance money on a new Cam..

Thank you for the pictures..
Thats a really nice solution! Unfortunately I wont be able to fit 2 cams on the top mount, but I think I'll just experiment and try to find a workaround to somehow stow the cable so I can keep on using a Nikon ;)

Most people on my DZ slice open the remote for D70s/D80 and glue it back together at an 90o angle. The D200/D300 remotes already are at 90o. The D50/D70/D70s/D80 are (also) jumpable with a modified IR remote but that is somewhat of a hassle, wouldn't recommend it.

I was planning on using a D200/300. The remote port is on the front of the housing and I think the plug would stand out at a 45° angle away from the camera (see picture). Thant shouldn' be too bad.. What do you think?

I just called my buddy and he was using a D70 and said that the port was not at the front of the camera like on the D300 that's why he had problems using it.

But since I will only start jumping camera this summer Do you think the d300 or 200 will be too heavy for me as a beginner?

I think it might... maybe it would be better to find a used D70 to start out with and try to modify the plug like you explained.

You will want to do lots of jumps with a videocamera first, untill you can get the shot you want and are used to the extra attention you have to pay to the camera (setting right, battery full, tape queued, etc), when you feel ready to take on another challenge you can add (or just jump) a stills camera. Do not underestimate the weight, but a D200 is certainly jumpable. I'd try the D200 first if that is what you have and are used to, you will need a very good fitting pro-type helmet, that'll help with the weight, try jumping it by itself first no video, (I'd advise a lightweight videocamera to go with it later on) and of course use a slow-opening canopy.
If you do decide to get a D70, get the D70s like said, not a D70 or a D70-with-D70s-firmware, it needs to say D70s on the label on front of the camera. The D70 does not have a cable remote so it can only be jumped with an IR remote or will have to be modded by Harbotronics (usd 200 I think) so I'd get a D70s or D80.

For the weight, the lens also makes a difference, a sigma 15mm or nikkor 16mm are lightweight choices, if you want to jump a sigma 10-20 or similar the weight goes up, never mind a nikkor 14mm :S Your neck and back have to take all this weight, personally I'll stick to jumping my D80 and not my D200 but if I have to I can, a backup camera is nice to have (of course you need different remotes though).

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Yes,
The D200/D300 are lot better. They don't have the "stickin' out too far" issue like the D70s and D80
I'm building bite switches with D200/D300 plugs as well. The unforunately I can't get those plugs with the threaded ring, but they still sit firmly when they're plugged in.
The D70s/D80 camras are using a totally different plug (they're kinda look like a small USB). They're straight and sticking out a lot. Using those I would make sure your helemet is configured the way the plug can't get hit (it could damege the camera's connection, expensive repair...).
-Laszlo-

ps: please see my Nikon bite switch ad:
http://www.dropzone.com/classifieds/images/ad_classifieds/1/47721-largest_Nikon_ad.jpg
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/detail_page.cgi?ID=58897;d=1

Here is a link to some pictures of my setup. It is a D200 mounted with a Cookie FlatLock. I previously jumped a D70s. I braced the plug with a rubber band contraption. The port on the D80 is more toward the bottom of the body. It would be pretty easy build a protector for it. I must say however, the D200 is way more camera. Its more durable. The metering system and autofocus are better. The threaded remote plug is as solid as anything out there. Now that the D300's are easier to find the D200 prices will fall a bit.

As far as a Canon v Nikon argument, I tend not to go down that road. for me the Nikon is more intuitive. I can reach up and by feel, apply exposure and or flash compensation, ISO and shutter speed. Until Sigma recently released a 10mm Fisheye. There was no lens that could offer a 180 degree diagonal field of view on the non-full frame sensors on the Canon mount. The Nikkor 10.5mm has been out for years.
http://gallery.mac.com/nickraines#100045

You already know the answer to that question - Of course they can :D

I saw a good quote the other day. Something like "The best camera designed by engineers is a canon. The best camera designed by photographers is a nikon."

To me the decision just came down to size, weight, and ease of use for skydiving. Nothing competes with the canon digital rebel series for that.

...But there are other reasons why canon has a ~46% market share vs Nikon's 14%. (Just stirring the pot :P)

Dave

Thanks for all your answers! Btw. Zee I have one of your Pictures as my Desktop image (most expensive backround pic of all times- but I love it).. it's the picture of a girl exiting a white sikorsky heli...
What camera and lens did you use for that shot?

Thanks for all your answers! Btw. Zee I have one of your Pictures as my Desktop image (most expensive backround pic of all times- but I love it).. it's the picture of a girl exiting a white sikorsky heli...
What camera and lens did you use for that shot?

Thanks! That's one of my personal favorites. I'm glad you like it.

It was neither a Nikon nor a Canon - I took that shot with a Minolta Maxxum 7/Sigma 15mm fisheye on ISO 100 Fuji Provia Slide Film

Action©Sports

You already know the answer to that question - Of course they can :D

I saw a good quote the other day. Something like "The best camera designed by engineers is a canon. The best camera designed by photographers is a nikon."

To me the decision just came down to size, weight, and ease of use for skydiving. Nothing competes with the canon digital rebel series for that.

...But there are other reasons why canon has a ~46% market share vs Nikon's 14%. (Just stirring the pot :P)

Dave

I've never heard that one before....but now that I have, I'd say it's spot on. :D

Action©Sports