moreton

Wide angle lenses for high definition

The Century/Schneider part number is 0DS-FEWA-37.

http://www.schneideroptics.com/Ecommerce/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?CID=1069&IID=1755

http://www.amazon.com/Century-Ultra-Fisheye-Adapter-Diameter/dp/B0000ALKDR
Sorry, I forgot how to make the URLs a "clicky", so you'll have to copy & paste it.

Thanks. I loked up the sight and it doesnt say anything about HD, Just DV... :S Just want to make sure before parting with the well urnedB|

.....And you thought Kiwis couldn't fly!!!!

Thanks for the info.... as far as i can find they dont do a HD lense wider than .6 for the smaller cameras
[:/] So any other makes that people know of?? Surely there must be a low profile HD wide out there??[:/]

Other wise i guess ill have to stick with the Raynox.
Does anyone have any ideas on the least snagable way to mount? side, top.It would be nice not to have to watch my lense sailing into the swamp after the first jump. :)

Top, duh ;)

Although there are some people here jumping the CX6/7 and HC5 as sidemounts, i think those are riser hits (or worse) waiting to happen [:/]

If you want a sidemount get a 2nd hand nice small pc series camera, everything else, up top.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Here are some from the cookie sight...http://www.cookiecomposites.com/shop/blackbox/58/index.htm

Not sure how to make it clicky:$ It doesn't look TOOOO bad but im pretty inexperienced with how bad riser slap and tangles can be.

Here's a pic with the raynox .3 on compared to my pc104.

a prototype of a new Century lens coming soon...

Is this going to have a 37 mm thread? I have been checking the web since you posted, but I have not seen any news on this. When will we see this lens? Zoom converter or just an adaptor?

Thanks.

I dont' know what the final thread sizes will be. I imagine Century will offer a couple, but they do currently offer 37mm as it is.
They are HUGE in the skateboard market, and that's one of the places they're aiming these new lenses. Lotsa 37 front ends in thelow-cost cam market

http://www.johnbarry.com.au//product_info.php?products_id=485

sorry... dont know how to do those clicky things...
apparently this is slightly more HD than the liquid and diamond lenses at close to 600 lines... and much lower profile...
Take it easy... and if you get it easy, take it TWICE!

http://www.johnbarry.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=485

sorry... dont know how to do those clicky things...
apparently this is slightly more HD than the liquid and diamond lenses at close to 600 lines... and much lower profile...

That's the century... its in DSE's tests in a different thread. I have one for sale in the classifieds if you are interested.

Any news on this front?

I am currently using a Century 0.5 W/A converter on a HC5.

The problem is that I want something a little wider, without sacrifing a lot of sharpness or gaining crazy distortion.

I have a Cookie 0.3 and it has acceptable distortion in my opinion, but when shooting HDV and watching it on a HD TV there is very noticeable loss of picture quality.

My friend just got a Raynox 3031 (which is optically identical to the 3032 according to the Raynox site).
The sharpness is nice, hard to see a difference between that and the Century, but it's field of view is almost exactly the same as the 0.5 Century Converter! It is also slightly bigger physically, albeit lighter due to a plastic frame where the Century is all metal.

Are there any other options out there that are lower cost and lower distortion than the 0.3 Century Fisheye?

I have the Raynox HD3032PRO mounted on an HC5. About $110 from B&H. The frame is all-metal construction...so it is very solid. Image quality is great. Definitely superior to my previous Liquid 0.3x. Distortion is more than acceptable with only the outer 20% or so being noticeable (to my eye). Great value for this lens. Biggest drawback is the size.
-----

I guess the difference between the 3031 and the 3032 is all metal frame vs. plastic.

DSE: I did look at these lens tests and by the looks of it, the only lens with a wider field of view than my current lens (which is equivalent to the Raynox 3031) is the Royal 0.3 and that is much better than the Cookie as far as picture quality goes.

Does anyone know if the Raynox 3032 has a wider field of view than the 3031?

freeasabird: is the Raynox 3032 as wide (field of view) as your Liquid 0.3 ? The 3031 is not. Size isn't a major issue. Weight is of more concern to me, do you have a weight for the 3032?

I drove by a camera store today and had a quick look, they had a 3032.

I didn't have my lens or a 3031 to compare, so I can't say if it's any wider than the 3031, but the one I saw also had a plastic frame, just like the 3031.

The ring around the big element in front is metal, but the body of the frame itself is plastic. I have no issue with that, as it seems plenty sturdy and this keeps the weight low.

I don't know if Raynox made metal and plastic frame versions, if they did, I haven't seen a metal frame version yet.