moreton

Wide angle lenses for high definition

As I plan to move up to HD with the purchase of HDR-CX6, I was wondering whether the wide angle lenses currently used for standard definition video are suitable, in terms of optical quality) for HD recording?
I’m currently using a Sony VCL0637S, which I could use as the thread is the same. They do sell a high grade lens (VCL-HG0737C), however, this lens is rather large. Does the wide angle lens used really affect the quality of the HD film?
Has anybody been using one of the slim lenses (eg Liquid 0.45) with HD?

As I plan to move up to HD with the purchase of HDR-CX6, I was wondering whether the wide angle lenses currently used for standard definition video are suitable, in terms of optical quality) for HD recording?
I’m currently using a Sony VCL0637S, which I could use as the thread is the same. They do sell a high grade lens (VCL-HG0737C), however, this lens is rather large. Does the wide angle lens used really affect the quality of the HD film?
Has anybody been using one of the slim lenses (eg Liquid 0.45) with HD?

You will obliviate all value of HD using a standard SD lens. Depending on the lens, you could be seeing as little as 180 lines of res at the center, and half that at the edges!
If you're shooting tandems, the Century .6 or the Raynox 5050 are my picks for quality images. they're bigger, particularly the Raynox, but you're getting 600 lines, which is impressive.
I have an article on this subject coming up, FWIW.
VCL-HG0737C is a pretty poor lens, although it's better than their SD lens in the same accessory selection.

not only do I use the Raynox .5, but moving away from any wide-angle. I'd just as soon have no wide if possible for tandems. The jump (IMO) is about the student, and I'd like to hand them a video with zero perspective distortion. Been playing with that a lot lately. There are a couple of photographers whose work I tremendously admire, and they're not using wides for tandems nor for a lot of other work. Problem without using a wide is keeping smooth motion, and for me, that's the killer at the moment, that prevents me from jumping without a wide on a paid jump.

I use the 5050 for tandems (both on an A1U or a TRV-38). I agree that it is not as wide as I like, but it is a real nice lens, so I just fly a little further away. Just got a Raynox 4500PRO to try (I think it is disco'd) Haven't jumped it yet, but we'll see. I agree with DSE's comments on perspective distortion in general (which is why I hate the super wide fisheyes) but there is something about the intimacy of a video shot a couple feet away that catches a lot of excitement you miss further away.

I use the 5050 for tandems (both on an A1U or a TRV-38). I agree that it is not as wide as I like, but it is a real nice lens, so I just fly a little further away. Just got a Raynox 4500PRO to try (I think it is disco'd) Haven't jumped it yet, but we'll see. I agree with DSE's comments on perspective distortion in general (which is why I hate the super wide fisheyes) but there is something about the intimacy of a video shot a couple feet away that catches a lot of excitement you miss further away.

I dunno. I think skydivers get sick of the fish eye distortion real easy cause we see it on everything we do cause people almost always have on some kind of wide angle. Wuffos don't notice that problem. I have found that many of them are very excited that I am able to be so close to them that I can reach out and hold their hand. It isn't something that they are expecting on a skydive. It's also nice to see their whole trembling body in the door and you just can't do that well from a smaller plane without a wide angle.

I am planning to pick up an HD camera this summer but I am going to stay with a standard lens because I don't want to jump something big. I really only like the low profile ones. I hope someone comes out with something like that for HD in the not too distant future.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I totally agree with you about the distortion and I find the softening around the edges on most single element wides almost equally objectionable (and that's based on SD videos with PC9, PC330 and PC1000).

I find one of the best bits of a tandem video is the person's expression when they leave the plane. How do you shoot tandem video with no wide and get their expression as well as enough body/TM/plane in the shot to show the action?

I totally agree with you about the distortion and I find the softening around the edges on most single element wides almost equally objectionable (and that's based on SD videos with PC9, PC330 and PC1000).

I find one of the best bits of a tandem video is the person's expression when they leave the plane. How do you shoot tandem video with no wide and get their expression as well as enough body/TM/plane in the shot to show the action?

It's very difficult, and this is one of two reasons I'm still using a wide adapter, but *hope* to not be later this year. I've looked at what McGowan has shot with the same cameras I'm using, and he's shown me how he gets out there to get that shot. Since I can only practice on non-paying tandems...it may be a while til I'm satisfied, if I can ever even get there.

Thanks for the information. I think I will get a Raynox 5050 for the moment, but has anybody tried the Raynox HD-3032PRO for filming close up. How do this lense perform? For filming a student close up it would be nice to have a wider lense.

Just about everyone I know with a HDV camera jumps the raynox 3030 or a newer version of it (the difference is just the step-up rings you get with it). The 5050 is too narrow for tandemvideo IMO, let alone for FS4 exits, I like to fly close, I also have a 16mm lens on my Nikon I want to sorta match with the video.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Just about everyone I know with a HDV camera jumps the raynox 3030 or a newer version of it

Well...you sorta know me :P
I like the 3030 at exit, we fly a King so it's easy to get the entire door in the shot with the 3030, and easy to get the upper half of the door/faces/chest with the 5050.
I wish there were a .4, it would be about perfect. I saw a prototype of a new Century lens coming soon, hopefully we'll see it in the next few months, that has a sweet MTF value (on paper) along with a high line count, and the profile is very nice as well.
I don't know that my skill will ever get me (tandems) to where I can shoot w/out a wide adapter, but it's a goal to work towards. If nothing else, I'll be better for having tried.

I have a raynox .3 semi fisheye for my cx 7 and as looking for something a little less "snagable" I went down to the local camera shop and have managed to find a .5 wide angle lens lense for $89 AUD... Just seems vvery cheep so i was wondering if anyone had any feed back on them...

The name of the lens is Giotto And it is a Hi Definition wide angle (defiantly doesn't feel as solid as the raynox but looked all right on the camera.)
.....And you thought Kiwis couldn't fly!!!!

Those lenses are pretty obviously either made by Tokina as OEM lenses, or knockoffs. They're barely SD, let alone HD. No way they could possibly give more than 200 lines of rez at the centerpoint, IMO. I'd need to chart one, but most everyone here is likely familiar with their look.
If you want low profile that allows for partial zoomthrough, Century is your best bet.

Thanks for all the info in the thread guys (esp DSE)

I think ill go with the Raynox 3032 as my new lens on a HC5, seems like a good choice.

best price if anyone is interested... $90
http://www.adorama.com/RXHD3032.html?emailquote=Y

the Century .3 looks good for a GloveCam set-up....
Opinions? B|
http://www.schneideroptics.com/ecommerce/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?CID=1069&IID=1755

thanks

Mac

the Century .3 looks good for a GloveCam set-up....
Opinions? B|
http://www.schneideroptics.com/ecommerce/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?CID=1069&IID=1755

thanks

Mac

The Century .3 is an amazing lens one of my friends jumps that one on a regular basis.
It's huge though, and the distortion is quite visible (I don't like that look) but the optics are very good.

The Century/Schneider part number is 0DS-FEWA-37.

http://www.schneideroptics.com/Ecommerce/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?CID=1069&IID=1755

http://www.amazon.com/Century-Ultra-Fisheye-Adapter-Diameter/dp/B0000ALKDR

I've been trying to find a deal on one, $285 to $300 is about as good as it gets for a new one. Once in a while you'll see a used one in good condition on E-Bay for $200 to $250.

Sorry, I forgot how to make the URLs a "clicky", so you'll have to copy & paste it.