Unstable

Overloaded Tempo

Plenty of people downsize -- you could post your reserve for trade with a 170. And I would suggest upsizing. Really. Not necessarily before you jump next, but I'd do it as soon as possible. I shouldn't talk, I have an undersized reserve in my backup rig, but I'm really used to doing PLFs.

Of course, I'm a wuss, but I'm an old, healthy wuss.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

It sounds to me like my Tempo 150 will be ableto physically withstand me deploying the thing at terminal.
Coma but however, as I become more proficient in a sit or other freeflying positions, I know I run the risk of a premature reserve deployment. My rig is freefly friendly (99 Dolphin with all mods, Full bridle protection, over-the-shoulder tuck tabs)
Will a PD hold up any better in this situation than a Tempo? For this setting, is it also a better idea to keep a big fluffy reserve?

As soon as i pay off my current parachute loan, I'll buy a new rig. Let me assure everybody that I will definatly not skimp on this one. This sport is real, the fear keeps it that way.

sds
=========Shaun ==========

Real life tempo stories:

My ride from on a 170- I weigh 254lbs out the door. Perfect opening CRW cutaway and plenty of flare after a straight in approach. Stood it up in no wind -800 jumps at the time.

Local DZO on a 120- exit weight no less than 225 (yes really). Hard opening after a lost handle-fully terminal. Flew and landed "just fine" WITH THE BRAKES STOWED. PLF, the guy has over 5000 jumps and is always very current.

A rental 150 flown and landed 3 times at 1.4, 1.6, and 1.8. By jumpers with 200, 350, and 1600 jumps. No problems whatever.

I have only good things to say about tempo reserves. I'd love to have a PD reserve, but I don't. Vladi Pesa actually flies a PD 113 at 240 something out the door. He recommended a 143 for me, based on my swoopy canopy experience, but added that I should have no problem with a 126 if I ever found myself under one.

Dan,
You keep thinking you have no problems. A wing loading of 2.1, Vladi, and a wing loading of 1.9, you on a 126 sq. ft. reserve can not in any way be justified. I you think you can handle it demo a 126 for 3 jumps and then get back to us.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I also have a problem with reserve sizes:

The container is built for reserves up to Tempo 170.
I'm 230 out the door and the 170 is certificated arround 200 lbs exit weight.

A PD 160 R or SMART 160 would fit.
But I don't want to jump a 160!

So what is the smartest decision: overload or jump a reserve which is to small?

Don't give me too much credit, I still don't know what I'm going to do.

Maybe not, but you do seem to have your head on right, as well as have a good attitude for digesting the information that comes up on this forum.

..It is far worse to live with fear, than to die confronting it.

Do you have a cypress? if so you expect your reserve to bring you down safely even if unconcious right? I too have a tempo 150, weigh as much as you out the door and let me tell you a I am glad I was able to flare (this happened 2 days ago)

LIFE IS LIKE A CIGARETTE, YOU CAN SIT THERE AND WATCH IT BURN AWAY OR YOU CAN SMOKE THAT BITCH TO THE FILTER

Take a look at the max suspended weight category listed on a PD reserve- almost all of them (including the 126), are listed at 254 lbs. I'd be less than thrilled at having to land it unconscious. This reserve may not be "justified" but it's not going to blow up if I deploy it at terminal velocity, and I could certainly land it without incident. As a manufacturer, why even hint at such a high number for such a small canopy? Because people will use it at these loading so it better handle them.

I would say once you've got 1000 jumps and maybe a reserve ride or two, making the choice to downsize your reserve can be done as safely as downsizing your main.

As Dan's gear dealer-

His team does not condone the fact that he'd love to demo a PD 126 or a RavenMax 135 for testing purposes. Yes -he'll demo a small reserve (& there will be video to prove it). He never had a problem on the old busted Triathalon 135 that he put 15 jumps on @1.88.

He'd never have a reserve in his personal rig smaller than 135. Dan gets a little carried away sometimes, he's no test pilot.

We're sure all of the PD, Precision, Aerodyne and the rest of the other manufacturers out there hate to see this conversation.
just starting out and coming to a competition near you

rareform,
Thanks for the reply. I am glad to see that Dan has adult supervision. I have be test jumping for some 20 years, presently manager of air drop and testing for a CA company, and I would not jump a 126 unless the price was right, very right. To do it for fun just does not make sense to me.
Sparky

Aggie is right. It could blow up and you could die. Of course, I've seen sub 100 jump gear which is not overloaded also blow up.

I'm 200 out the door. I jump a tempo 120. Used it 3 times, once at terminal - no problems so far. Only reason I've gone so small is to match main size, as with a Cypress a dual canopy situation is always a possibility. I have 3900 dive total of which 600 are Crew.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Anything "could" blow up. My teammate who is 200 even out the door had a reserve ride this past weekend. I was kinda worried since he jumps a dash M-120. After SB manufacture date.

He chopped his spinning velo, took a full 5 second delay to get perfectly stable, pulled his res. handle, and had a textbook deployment. He also did a toggle hook and swooped it for about 60 feet, right up until it tacoed and stalled as he was trying to slide it out --just a little extra dirt on the jump suit.

Anyway -I have never even heard of a PD or newer Tempo (they have spanwise reinforcing tape on the inside of the bottom skin). Sustaining canopy damage on deployment. Has anyone? There must be one or two out there that I personally haven't heard of.

I'll bet ya $50 I can easily land the R-Max 135 three times in a row within 15 meters of target center, just give me winds between 5 and 10.

I'll jump a 126, no problem. My MONEY is on the 135. I called Precision earlier about the R-Max demo. I'll meet you in Perris in September during the PST event. How's that?

I think it's cool that you blow stuff up out of planes for a living. It must be great to be the undisputed lord and master of high-speed parachute drop testing data.

How's that working out for you?

Dear Mr. Unstable,

I have a tempo 150...appx 4 years old

I am of similer weight

I have used my tempo 150 twice

it didnt blow up on opening...not even a little bit

it flew well...felt like a slow student canopy

it landed well...ie I pulled the toggles and it flared

hope this is of help

flipper

Dear Mr. Unstable,

I have a tempo 150...appx 4 years old

I am of similer weight

I have used my tempo 150 twice

it didnt blow up on opening...not even a little bit

it flew well...felt like a slow student canopy

it landed well...ie I pulled the toggles and it flared

hope this is of help

I guess this is what matters.......

Thanks.
sds
=========Shaun ==========

in my opinion there are two reasons...

1. Fashion - you get a small main...you need a small container...therefore you need a small reserve

2. Ignorance - !

I think this falls into the same area as the small verses big 3 rings.....

large 3 rings offer less pullforce to chop than the smaller rings....why would you want a harder time chopin...?...is it because small 3 rings look better..?

flipper

Hey guys, once again:

I also have a problem with reserve sizes:

The container is built for reserves up to Tempo 170.
I'm 230 out the door and the 170 is certificated arround 200 lbs exit weight.

A PD 160 R or SMART 160 would fit.
But I don't want to jump a 160!

So what is the smartest decision: overload or jump a reserve which is to small?

Thx 4 answers!

in my opinion there are two reasons...

1. Fashion - you get a small main...you need a small container...therefore you need a small reserve

2. Ignorance - !

I think this falls into the same area as the small verses big 3 rings.....

large 3 rings offer less pullforce to chop than the smaller rings....why would you want a harder time chopin...?...is it because small 3 rings look better..?

flipper

Those are the only two reasons I can think of. You have just about sumed it up.
Sparky

For myself, at my skill level I want everything around 1:1
and no higher. I weigh 205 and jump a hornet 210 main and a swift plus 225 reserve.

From your profile it looks like you only have a few more jumps than I have and your main is loaded more or less 1:1 so you arent used to anything thats gonna go real fast
I'd hate to be learning how to fly your reserve for the very first time at a high wing loading. Who knows where you might have to land it?

My non expert, lowbie opinion is to get a larger reserve.