Kimblair13

Canon Dig Reb XTi lens...

Have you tried your local camera store, its a pretty common lens. If not they have other lenses that are a better than the stock lens. Other than that, I would try craigslist.com or ebay. Many people upgrade their lens and then sell the stock lens off. Good luck. Let me know if you continue to have a hard time finding it I have a few sources for them in my local area, I'd be happy to check them for you.

Chuck

There's a couple different versions, and they're all in stock on amazon.com. I've heard the newer IS one is actually pretty decent. A bit more expensive but still cheap for a lens.

Do you mean the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM which is at around thousand dollars ?

That would be about 10 times more expensive.. :)

There's a couple different versions, and they're all in stock on amazon.com. I've heard the newer IS one is actually pretty decent. A bit more expensive but still cheap for a lens.

No, I mean the EF-S 18-55mm IS.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

No, I mean the EF-S 18-55mm IS.

Ok.. My mistake.. I didnt even know about this one. Well, now I do..

I'd recommend (and fly) the EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Autofocus Len from Canon.

It's a little draining on the wallet and heavy on the head but takes nice wide piccies for the customer.

Blues,
Stu W

I just got the EF-S 10-22mm Lens and agree that it is very nice. Worth the investment in a quality lens.

dont bother with the 18-55 - it is junk.

Enjoy the XTi. It is a fun camera.

Major Dad
CSPA D-579

I totally disagree. What is it about that lens that YOU don't like? I agree on the 10-22 though. I'll probably get that or something similar this year. But not because I don't like the 18-55, more just for a wider angle.

Dave

I totally disagree. What is it about that lens that YOU don't like? I agree on the 10-22 though. I'll probably get that or something similar this year. But not because I don't like the 18-55, more just for a wider angle.

Dave

I was refering to the Kit Lens. Maybe "Junk" is overstating it (mine has been on the shelf for so long) ;).

The kit lens is intended to be an economical lens (i.e. $100) which is certainly better than a Powershot lens. This gives the new to Digital SRL user an introductory lens while they figure out what they want in a lens and what type of photography they want to do.

If all you want is a general purpose lightweight lens for a Digital Rebel, it's good enough.

However I liken it to a student parachute. Fun for the first couple of jumps till you realize what a dog it is. And just like canopies, there is a wide selection of lenses out there that allow for awesome picture taking.

One of my lenses is a Canon EF 28-135 mm IS for general purpose use which does a far better job than the original kit lens. I also have my eye on a Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L as it will do a better job of the shorter range than my EF 28-135.

That is part of the fun with DSLR's is that you can get the lens that will support your interest, be it air-to-air, macro, sports, wildlife, etc.

My first choice (or second or third) would not be the Kit Lens though ;)

Enjoy

Major Dad
CSPA D-579

B&H Photo has some pretty good deals. This should get you started.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/shop/8454/Digital_Film_SLR_Interchangeable_Lenses_for_Canon.html

B&H is a great place to get stuff (About 30% discount on what I would pay in Canada even after shipping and customs). They also have user reviews on each lens.

This site also has a number of reviews on lenses http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/best_canon_eos_lenses.html

This Gallery has the sections sorted by the Canon Lens that took them - great for seeing if the lens you are thinking of buying will do what you what it to do http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=141406

Enjoy

Major Dad
CSPA D-579

My mate has just bought the same camera and it came with a 18-55mm lens and a 0.5 adapter which screws on the front to widen the angle. I fear his photos will not be grand. Any comments on this set up?
2 wrongs don't make a right - but 3 lefts do.

Ok, but what specifically do you not like about the kit lens as far as using it for skydiving? I hear a lot of people knock it, but almost nobody gives any reasons for what they don't like. Don't get me wrong, I know that it's not the best lens in the world. But I find that it's far from junk. It's a great value and its quite a bit smaller and lighter than pretty much anything else that you might use for skydiving. I have used the 10-22, which is nice, but I don't see much difference in pictures taken with that lens at the same focal length. There are theoretical differences, but the 18-55 does a great job.

I just hear a lot of people knocking the kit lens with no explanation. I'd highly recommend it for someone starting off. Get something better when you can figure out what you specifically don't like about it.

Dave

Cheers Dave,

To repeat what I said above

"The kit lens is intended to be an economical lens (i.e. $100) which is certainly better than a Powershot lens. This gives the new to Digital SRL user an introductory lens while they figure out what they want in a lens and what type of photography they want to do. If all you want is a general purpose lightweight lens for a Digital Rebel, it's good enough." Full Stop.

There is a difference in performance between the 18-55 kit lens and the 10-22 lens which is to be expected which becomes more apparent in less than ideal lighting conditions. You cant expect the $100 lens to do perform the same way the $650 lens does (I know price isnt everything, but there is no question the 10-22 is a higher quality/higher performance lens).

By the same token the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM which costs $1000 also outperforms the kit lens.

Lens is a personal choice and certainly not everyone is going to buy a $1000 lens let alone use it for skydiving. (And to be clear, I am not a videographer - I am just a serious amateur photographer)

The main reason why my kit lens is on the shelf and no longer used is that I have found and am using other lenses which do a far better job.

But once again, "If all you want is a general purpose lightweight lens for a Digital Rebel, it's good enough.

Fair enough?

Regards

Major Dad
CSPA D-579

Any adaptor put on an already low end lens is going to look less then optimal. We just covered this last week or two but basically the adaptor is junk and with its weight hanging on the lens it can adjust the focal length and defeats the whole purpose of it. Ditch it and get a good lens.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Personally, as a beginner in skydiving photography I was quite happy with the 18-55mm EFS lens. After getting the settings right, the lens took some good photos (one example attached). I've now got a EF 17-40mm, but that's in anticipation of upgrading to a full frame canon in the near future.