DSE

Sony HC-9

I put 14 jumps on the HC9, side by side with a PC330 filming 100-ways this past weekend. With SteadyShot (OIS) turned ON, there is considerable noticeable shake on a big screen. It's usable footage, but the PC330 footage is way better. I will post the footage soon. Also with the SteadyShot turned off, the shake is not as bad as with it on, but still not nearly as good as the PC330 with EIS.

I was flying a lot of burble, but the PC330 footage is far better than the HC9 in the identical conditions.

Maybe it's like the first series of 900's, maybe it's the luck of the draw with the camera you get, if DSE doesn't have OIS issues... But I'm probably going to return this one. Not sure if I want to try another HC9 just incase to get a HC5 instead...

Thought you all might like to know.

peace
Karen
http://www.exitshot.com

Maybe it's like the first series of 900's, maybe it's the luck of the draw with the camera you get, if DSE doesn't have OIS issues...

I'm fairly confident that it's the same no matter which cam you have. For tandems, no burble, no real issues there. But for anything that is really shaky...I'd expect it to be an issue. Sad thing is, OIS is the "new standard" of these cams, it's cheaper and doesn't require calibration (if what I'm told from the engineers is accurate) Bear in mind I'm also flying with a .5 lens, so the shake is lessened by the wider image.
Are you using the HC9 in HD or SD mode? With or without wide angle?

HD mode (DV output to computer just to compare...)
.3 lens (you'd think the shake would be reduced with the .3...)

I will try it on a tandem, but the PC330 was rocksolid on the exact same jump next to the HC9. It is sad that OIS is the "new standard" otherwise the HC9 is an awesome camera. Some friends are using it for base and it's great.

I'd rather go back to an EIS camera if they're all going to be like this. Maybe I'm just super-critical of the quality, isn't that why we want HD anyway...

Karen
http://www.exitshot.com