DSE

Sony HC-9

Thanks for the great report. I think I am going this route. Any comments on the audio quality of this Sony? I have heard the Cannon's were pretty weak in this area and you had suggested a remote mic. Does the sony have as good audio pick up as most regular sony cams? Thanks

Coincidental you'd bring this up...audio was tested this morning when we had more people in the studio to work with.
Audio is identical on this camcorder as in previous models, no detected changes. I'd wondered if the DSP was doing anything to the audio, since it obviously is affecting the video, but it doesn't. In other words, it's pretty good. Nice that it's got a mic input though.
Also doing the low-light test this morning, so you'll want to refresh that review later today if it doesn't have candle images in it. when you view it.

nope. Not a one.
www.resellerratings.com, you can see for yourself.
These sorts of resellers are dangerous, IMO. Either you're getting only a camera, paying extra for powersupply, batteries, manual, etc or you're getting nothing and left holding a bag.

Damn. I am way too fuckin gullable.[:/] I would have bought it there and not even given it a second thought. I'm kinda glad this forum is here to keep people like me from getting fucked out of some money. Thanks for the info.:)

Use pricegrabber.com and search by price and store rating. Decent ones are B&H, Adorama, Beach Camera, Butterfly, etc. Amazon usually is pretty competitive with price too, and can't be beat as far as megastore reliability.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Always buy your camera equipment from a reputable dealer such as B&H or Adorama.You always get what you pay for ,and won't get jerked around about a warranty or batteries and accessories .I refuse to do business with other dealers . :)

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

Spot,
Did you have any chance to check the data transfer options between the memory stick and the tape?
Can you transfer video back and forth between them?
Thanks!
-Laszlo-

ps. I forgot to tell you... two days later it was my turn in the restaurant (a different one though)
you know the forgotten food...

LOL, I hope you spilled something sticky on that waitress, you bitch!:D
No. there is no memory Xfer from stick to tape. No different than previous camcorders.
BUT!! I did get some info about future camcorders that I'll share in person.
My turn for dinner. Leave your boyfriend home.

Question..... would you see any reason to upgrade from an HC-7 to a 9?? Any difference in quality ??

Yes, there is a slight upshift in quality. Is it worth ito spend the $$ for an upgrade? Not really. Yeah, better encoder/DSP, but enough difference that the average joe is gonna notice it? Only if they're comparing side by side. The HC7 is a very fine cam, as is the HC5. Now...ifyou've got an old HC3 (I do) then it's likely worth _considering_ but only if it's a "I kinda need a new camcorder, but I really want a new camcorder" situation, IMO.

having the HC-7 and already loving its quality, the review smashed my world. really great cameras and yes the cookie box is wonderful. heres a couple pictures of mine on a skysystems.

I thought the HC7 didn't work well for skydiving due to the optical image stabilizer?

OIS is more a problem for freeflyers than for belly flyers. I have no issues with OIS when flying for tandems or the comparitively little four-way work, but if I'm freeflying, the burble, particularly on a flat-top, can be a problem. However, most of that problem is me, not the camera.:D EIS offers a loss in resolution but is smoother for high-vibration situations.

I have certainly noticed OIS problems while filming belly flyers with an older TRV-900. Not enough to make the footage completely unusable, but enough to make OIS an undesirable feature for any future camera purchases. This is unfortunate, because EIS is typically only used on cheaper cameras. However IMHO, the resolution compromises in EIS cameras are much, much less objectionable than shaky footage obtained using either no IS, or OIS.

My too sense...