goobersnuftda

High Definition DVD issue settled ......AND THE WINNER IS....Blu Ray

From my perspective. I don't really care which format is better or worse or which is the winner. I am just happy that there is a winner. I wasn't going to purchase either one till there was a clear winner.

DSE..

I remember reading that it is possible to write AVCHD to DVD's so that a BD player can play them back. How much trouble is it to convert the .M2T from the HC5 to AVCHD and write that to a DVD for BD payback?

My Panasonic SD5 comes with a burner that basically does this. It takes the AVCHD files and burns them as a Blu-ray compatible DVD.

DSE refuses to acknowledge this. I tried explaining it to him a while back but he didn't believe me.

That's nice for you. But I don't have a Panasonic SD5 and don't plan on scrapping my HC5 to buy one. Also the video that I get off of the HC5 isn't in AVCHD format.

I guess my real question is can I convert the .M2T to AVCHD and write it to DVD for BD playback with Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 8.0 or would I have to buy the Vegas Pro 8 to do so?

My Panasonic SD5 comes with a burner that basically does this. It takes the AVCHD files and burns them as a Blu-ray compatible DVD.

DSE refuses to acknowledge this.

I do?? I recall saying I wasn't understanding how you were burning HD DVD-compliant discs for playback on Blu-ray players in this thread with Scott Jaco. We burn AVCHD discs for BD playback all the time. Your post in the other thread suggested that you were authoring HD DVD discs for playback in BD players.

Beowulf, I don't have the latest Platinum 8, but according to Sony's charts, Platinum only READS AVCHD, but cannot output AVCHD. The Pro version can output for playback on BD discs.
TSRemux can take an M2t and convert it to AVCHD, however. You can also use Nero Vision and if you want to get really tricky, you can use a frameserver to serve from the Vegas Platinum timeline to Nero Vision. There is a tutorial on the VASST site about frameserving, and links to a free frameserver. The tutorial details how to make an AVCHD file using the frameserver and Nero, but the article is nearly 3 years old.

I am happy with the HC5. I only have 20 jumps with it. All freefly mostly head down jumps with 2 VRW 4 way jumps so far. I plan on using it for Nationals this year. I want to be able to put together my year end video on a DVD for playback on a BD player. That will be my incentive to buy BD player.

The HC5 is probably a better camera but it's that damn proprietary shit that Sony does that keeps me from messing with them.

What "proprietary shit?" Nothing at ALL proprietary about the HC5. Of all the camcorder manufacturers on the planet, only one company chooses to be proprietary, and that is Panasonic. The SD1 had non-compliant streams that required conversion. They've since changed that.
The HC5 is the same file type as every 1080 HDV camcorder there is. It's an M2T stream. Simple, sweet, ubiquitous, and every editor on the planet can use it. The same cannot be said for DVCPro (Panasonic only) DVCProHD (Panasonic only) AVC-I (Panasonic only), and Panasonic P2's unique MXF wrapper (Panasonic only). Grass Valley, Sony, Canon, Ikegami, JVC are all on the same page.

How many minutes can you fit on a DVD when writing AVCHD to it?

What would be my best option as far as easiest to work with?

spend the extra cash and get Vegas Pro 8

or

the much cheaper Vegas Movie Studio Pl. 8.0 and a third party software to convert to AVCHD

Would I lose any quaility by going the cheaper route?

What "proprietary shit?" Nothing at ALL proprietary about the HC5.

Memory stick vs. cheaper Sansdisk

-HC5 doesn't record to mem stick, unless you're using it for stills only. Perhaps you're thinking of some other camcorder?

-SanDisk makes MSPD cards too, for approximately the same price as any other card in a similar class. SDHC on the other hand, is more confusing (and that's what Panasonic uses).
MSPD cards are faster than SDHC cards, which come in a wide variety of classes, many not compatible with video.
SDHC cards write speeds:
-Class 2: 2 MB/s (16Mbps)
-Class 4: 4 MB/s (32Mbps)
-Class 6: 6 MB/s (48Mbps)

MS Duo/ProDuo speeds:
Transfer: 159 Mbit/s (20 MB/s)
Minimum write speed: 15 Mbit/s (1.8MBps)
Maximum write speed: 80 Mbit/s (10Mbps)

As you probably know, anything labeled with the MSPD on it, is MS card compatible. SDHC doesn't carry that same compatibility, and there is a tremendous amount of confusion in the market as to which SDHC cards work in which products.

As far as "how many minutes on a disc," the answer is entirely bitrate dependent, just like MPEG 2 and DVD. As few as 20 mins at highest bitrates, and as much as 90 mins at low bitrates, with the avg being around an hour of high quality footage at 18Mbps on a standard DVD 5. Of course, if you have dual layer burner, you can store longer/larger files. Bear in mind that although the cameras are constrained by lower bitrates, DVDs don't need quite the same contraints, and bitrates of up to 20Mbps are just fine.
We have a bitrate calc for this on one of our tools (Ultimate S 3.0) that can help you calculate time/quality.
As far as third-party quality vs what comes in Vegas...Vegas is exceptionally good, but there are better encoders, but not for cheaper, so your *best* bet would be to upgrade to Vegas 8Pro. I happen to know that Videoguy will shortly be announcing a very good upgrade deal, but B&H and others will likely offer it soon after.

Well, since $50.00 is "lousy," I'll gladly take yours.
Me? I'm keeping my lousy HD DVD player, because I never bought it with the intent of it being anything but a conversation piece anyway. Oh yeah....testing DVD masters.:)

You can Paypal me the lousy 50.00 at my dropzone.com address. I'll look forward to the two jump tickets it gets me.:D

Agreed. I bought mine at another store so I don't get any money back. I originally bought mine mainly for some existing titles that were only released on HDDVD at this point. If any one does not want thier gift card I'll take it off their hands to fill out my HD-DVD collection. :ph34r:

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com