markovwgti

Canon Digital Rebel xt or xti....

I've owned both the XT and XTi. Overall, don't spend too much time on the decision, it's just not worth it because they are so similar.

The XTi has a few advantages...better autofocus (if you plan to use it) and supposedly slightly better high-ISO performance. But in reality, I can't tell which camera took which pictures. Picture quality is basically identical.

XTi has some downsides. Bigger files take up more hard drive space, transfer slower, and fewer fit on a memory card. Battery life isn't as good either. I like the big screen on the back with all the settings, but it does use more battery power. Two extra megapixels isn't an advantage, in my opinion, because the pictures look the same from either camera. Can't really use those extra megapixels very effectively.

Both are great cameras though. XT is probably a better value, but the XTi is nice too. I'm guessing the XT will be going out of production real soon if it hasn't already, since the XSi is coming out. Might drop the price...

Dave

40D has better autofocus, much better high-ISO performance (for low light), and a bunch of other stuff you won't need. It's definitely a better camera, but I personally don't think the extra features are worth the increased size and weight... at least not until I figure out what the limitations of the XTi are that the 40D overcomes.

Dave

Are you planning on using the camera for jumping only, or are you planning on shooting a lot on the ground too? The rebels are great for skydiving since they are so small and lightweight (and cheap), but for on the ground I don't like them, too small for my taste. Also the extra features of the 40d will come in handy on the ground. The 40d is by far the better camera, more weatherproof and more durable, also nice for skydiving, but it's also heavier and more expensive, might be overkill for most people for skydiving use only but a ground photographer should love it.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

The rebels are great for skydiving since they are so small and lightweight (and cheap), but for on the ground I don't like them, too small for my taste.

I never experienced that problem until the other day when I added a big flash to mine. Holy crap, it suddenly feels like a miniature camera. Gives my hand a cramp to hold it for a few minutes. Wonder what it'll do to my neck when I get the flash mounted to my helmet somehow. :)
Dave

The rebels are great for skydiving since they are so small and lightweight (and cheap), but for on the ground I don't like them, too small for my taste.

I think the size thing really depends on the size of your hands. The XTi fits my hands perfectly but it's way too small for my s/o's hands.

Agree.
For jumping (meaning for tandems) the 40D is way too much. The investment to buy a 40D is only worth it if you going to use it on the ground too for lot of action photography. (but then you need to spend even more for lenses).
The XT is a very good camera, even that one is almost an overkill for tandems.
-Laszlo-

ps. according with your profile you're still kinda far away to photograph tandems...

For a good exit shot you need a good exit from both the jumpers (in this case the tandem pair) and the photographer. If you want to rely on frame rate as some one mentioned already a movie camera would be the best choice (like the ARRI 235 which can take 75 35mm frames a second...) But trust me if the exit goes bad... no good shot. If it goes well there's is a good shot (of course the photographer still need to know his stuff...).
Good photos are coming from good skydives and good photographers not from the frame rate of the camera! (...of course there's still need a good light, a good lens, and etc...)

not planning on doing any sort of tandem photos till the end of the summer or when my jump numbers get up there...i just want to get the camera now..learn the settings and know what i am doing with it so when the time comes to use it to make money and get good shots i know what im doing!

Sounds like a good plan, working the ground, learning how the camera functions, understanding shutter, aperture, composition are all things many camera people don't seem to understand. Learning those things on the ground is the best way to figure it out, IMO.
I'd also suggest that when you do put the camera on your head, you start with video, then work stills into your jump later on, or vice versa, but don't attempt to do both at the same time. That was the advice I received early on, and it was good advice, IMO.

I think the size thing really depends on the size of your hands. The XTi fits my hands perfectly but it's way too small for my s/o's hands.

I don't have big hands, but I still find the digi rebels, nikon d40x etc too small for comfort. I also tend to hang a lot of stuff on my camera, like a flash, sometimes more flash-es, macro bracket for flash, some fairly heavy lenses. If you try to hang a 80-400mm lens or 80-200 f/2.8 lens from a lightweight (plasticky) camera you may very well damage it... When I shoot handheld macro, balancing a 150mm f/2.8 from a D200 feels much better then from my D80 let alone a D40 :S

Of course if all you ever use is the kit lens, no issues there.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

That is the best advice by far.

Also, there are tons of great resources including http://www.photography-on-the.net/forum/. I use this site a lot not only for info, but for getting feedback on shots I've taken.

There are also some great 'bibles' of photography that are worth a read. I found "Understanding Exposure" was an excellent resource. Most people underestimate or don't understand the importance of aperture, shutter speed and ISO and how they relate to each other...

My .02 cents!

Have you tried a Battery Grip ?

I have a battery grip on my D200, and i love it. The camera is better balanced and I love the extra button. A battery grip won't help you prevent a heavy lens damaging a plastic lens mount however. Why do people buy a tiny camera (D40x, 400D) and then add a grip because it is too small, why not buy one size bigger camera (D80, 40D) in the first place? Usually the price difference for these cameras isn't that great after adding the grip... Unless you need a small camera for other purposes, like skydiving, backpacking, i think it's kinda funny :P

ciel bleu,
Saskia