KNewman

Need help putting a setup together

I have spent all weekend reading and searching posts (too damn windy to jump) but still have questions..... I think I have a system that will work but no one in my area jumps it so I really don't know. Here are my thoughts.

Optik Illusion helmet.
Sony CX7 with Raynor 5050
Cookie CX7 box top mounted with liquid flatlock.

My mentor in NC recommended the helmet but couldn't comment on the camera selection. I would like to get the CX7 so I can use it both for skydiving and for vacation shots. I have a Sony 60" HDTV that should show off the vacation shots real good. I have settled on the camera due to the HD capability, good enough reviews, and it can be used skydiving. My plan to learn to fly it is to keep talking to my mentor via e-mail and to hook up with some video flyers here for the next six months or so. (I wont be getting the camera until May). I am planning to buy the helmet now and jump with it to get used to it and to play with the cut-away (on the ground). I am not looking to shoot tandems or students, but want to record some of the scenery around (and above) the DZ. My questions are as follows...

1. Will all this fit together and work... specifically the cookie box, liquid lock top mount, the CX7 AND the 5050 lens?

2. Is top mounting the way to go for this system... the box is 3" and I think I may have issues with riser slap if side mounted (top mount was highly recommended in some of the posts I read).

3. Can I use the 5050 lens with the CX7... I can get the lens in a 37mm which should fit.. has anybody used this configuration?

4. Is there anything else that I need to buy that is not obvious... i.e. extra batteries, mem sticks, camera "maintenance kit", (jump tickets for mentors) etc..etc...

As I said above, I have spent all weekend looking through this forum and Gear and Rigging and have read all of the safety posts, CX7 posts, helmet posts (there are some cool looking helmets out there), wide angle lens posts, editing software post...... I just need to tie everything together before I buy something that wont work or do something ignorant. Thanks.

Sorry for the length of post...

Kevin

Blue Skies and Stand-up Landings!!!!!!

Editing software for the CX7, you're somewhat limited...because a lot of apps can't manage AVCHD yet. There are converter softwares available, however, for both Apple and PC-based applications.
All the gear you're asking about will work together just fine. Not sure exactly why you're using the Flatlock if you've got a box and plan on jumping with cam most of the time, but that's just my opinion. Were it me, I'd forego the Flatlock and mount the box straight to the helmet, reducing snag points/height.
I haven't put my Raynox 5050 on the CX7, mostly because I like how small/light it is with the Royal Lens .5, but it will definitely fit. How it will fit the Cookie box, I don't know, as I haven't seen the cookie box. If you're going with a top mount, the Flatlock is as good as anything else in the skydiving world, although there are better non-skydiving solutions.
You'll definitely want extra batteries no matter what. CX7 goes forever if you're not using the LCD panel, but you'll be using that for walkup, a/c, and post jump interviews. I'd keep a microfiber cloth in your helmet for lens cleaning. An extra card is a very good idea for those "O shit, my card is full and I want to shoot/can make another load" moments.
If you're planning on analog edits using existing DZ gear, you'll need to hand the camera over with the card, or plan on using camera when editing, as the cards can't play on any hard-good devices.
Planning on a few jumps without camera is good planning, just be sure to play with the camera on the ground with the helmet on, so that you're familiar with how the lens is going to weigh in on your openings.

How many jump tix did I earn, boss?;)

DSE

Come out to VA and I WILL HOOK YOU UP!! I was thinking about the flat lock because the 5050 looks huge, maybe I wont need it. Would you recommend the Royal instead? I was thinking the 5050 due to the 600 line resolution. This is why I ask questions before I buy stuff. And who better to get answers from that you and the gang here in this forum!!

Thanks
Kevin

5050 definitely has more resolution than the Royal. I'd love it if Royal, Cookie, Waycool, would create a single element, high resolution lens, and it can be done. I've seen em in larger sizes.
Either way.... It's a question of what you're looking for. Sometimes, seeking the highest quality may not be in your best interests. There are a few advantages to the smaller lenses that might outweigh the couple hundred greater lines you get from the 5050, weight distribution and size being two of them.

I'm not quite understanding the connection of "5050 + Huge=Need Flatlock?"

Since I have not seen a 5050 in person, just pictures, it looks like it would hit the helmet if the box was mounted to the helmet. Maybe I am visualizing the box too far back on the helmet? Would you recommend the royal over the 5050? I am open to modifying my choices, especially with "Expert Guidance."

Thanks
Kevin

5050 definitely has more resolution than the Royal. I'd love it if Royal, Cookie, Waycool, would create a single element, high resolution lens, and it can be done. I've seen em in larger sizes.

What about the Century single element .55x I have?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Matt

I was looking at B&H and couldn't find the one you listed in your post for $125. The cheapest one they had was $250 and didnt look at all like the pictures in your post. I will check out Doug's link and that may be my choice. Thanks for the assistance!!

Kevin

I would go with the cookie MXV. I really like the cut away handle on the chin cup. I own an optic illusion, and you have to feel around for the cut away. I have thought of selling it just for this reason.
my 2 cents :)

http://www.cookiecomposites.com/shop/helmets/11/index.htm

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

Keep in mind that you can't zoom in with most single element lenses. That alone is reason enough for me to get the Raynox lens. For fun jumps it may not matter, but I use my zoom a lot when videoing tandems (ground shots, landings, etc.).

Here's my two cents on the box,...forget about it. I find them useless (for top-mount), too large, a waste of money and very limiting. I screw my camera directly to the top of my helmet (no quick release), and have free access to all the camera controls, and a lower profile helmet. Just don't bash your head or helmet into things (you shouldn't be doing this even if you do have a box).

Why is it you can use auto focus with the raynox lens? And which model lens is it?

You CAN use AF with the raynox lenses.

BTW I think you'd be better off with the raynox .3 on the cx7, as it isn't very wide to start with a .5 may be (way) narrower than you might expect if you're used to jumping .45 lens on a trv/pc type camera now.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

How do you mount your camera directly to the helmet? There is only one mounting screw, wouldn't that make the camera prone to rotational movement? I was thinking about the box because I am a tall dude and I know myself, if I didn't put the camera in a box I would smash it up :$.

(Velocityphoto) Why is it you can use auto focus with the raynox lens? And which model lens is it?

I never mentioned autofocus (I only mentioned the zoom function). But yes, you can use autofocus with this lens. I only use autofocus on ground footage though. I turn it off and set a manual focus setting right before exiting, and turn it back on when I am on the ground. I use the Raynox HD-5050PRO.

(KNewman) How do you mount your camera directly to the helmet? There is only one mounting screw, wouldn't that make the camera prone to rotational movement?

I thread a second smaller screw up through the helmet that fits in the locating hole in the bottom of the cam. Also, I have a custom lens bracket that cradles my wide-angle lens and further locates the camera. Photo here:

http://www.philroberson.com/skydivephotos2007/J2727.htm

Finally I have a strap over the top of the camera for insurance with a quick-release clip for using the LCD screen.

Matt

I was looking at B&H and couldn't find the one you listed in your post for $125. The cheapest one they had was $250 and didnt look at all like the pictures in your post. I will check out Doug's link and that may be my choice. Thanks for the assistance!!

Kevin

Hey Kevin,

Just use the camcorder lens filters and select "Century" and "37mm" and there will only be 4 search results.

Or go HERE straight to the item. B| If for some reason that doesn't work for you here are the ID#'s straight from that page:

Mfr# 0DS-55WA-37 • B&H# CEDS55WA37
www.WingsuitPhotos.com