Ronaldo

Recommendations for a beginner digital still setup

Hi folks,
I’m pretty sure this was covered somehow in previous posts but I was not able to find exactly what I need. I’m looking for a basic still set up to start shooting AFF and Tandems. The most important feature for me would be the ability to take stills continuously and automatically without the use of a bite switch (just press a button before exit and it starts shooting about 1fps or less). As I’ll be starting I would like to simplify things and concentrate on flying and keeping the subject in frame. Could you please recommend a set up to do this job? I’m not looking for extremely professional and expensive stuff, but good quality stills that can please the general public.
Thanks

Ronaldo
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

The most important feature for me would be the ability to take stills continuously and automatically without the use of a bite switch (just press a button before exit and it starts shooting about 1fps or less).

That's not realistic or pratical use of the equipment.

As I’ll be starting I would like to simplify things and concentrate on flying and keeping the subject in frame.

Sounds like you should start by flying video first and learn how to multi task while flying and keeping the subject in frame, so when it comes time for you to add stills you can already fly and center your shots while using a blow or bite switch, or thumb trigger to fire the still camera. Also when you do go to buy your equipment you find that by trying to go cheap will yield cheap and unprofessional results, yet there are cheapo cameras good enough to pass off to the tandem mill factory produced jumper. There are a whole host of threads on the subject of "what still camera to buy" that with a quick search can be found that would help answer your questions better.

The short answer most would give you is Digital Rebel xt or xti and a kit lens to start out or a 15mm wide. But there are some smaller lighter units out there.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

That's not realistic or pratical use of the equipment.

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure I saw someone using some kind of automatic shutter and taking good pictures this way.

Sounds like you should start by flying video first and learn how to multi task while flying and keeping the subject in frame, so when it comes time for you to add stills you can already fly and center your shots while using a blow or bite switch, or thumb trigger to fire the still camera. Also when you do go to buy your equipment you find that by trying to go cheap will yield cheap and unprofessional results, yet there are cheapo cameras good enough to pass off to the tandem mill factory produced jumper.

I understand your point but I don't see why I can't take sequential pictures and get occasional good shots during this learning phase. During this time I would not be charging anything and probably paying my own ticket.
It would be like using training wheels before learning to ride a bicycle;)
Thanks for the tips
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

I don't see why I can't take sequential pictures and get occasional good shots during this learning phase.

Because it won't help your learning, and it will add weight and become several more things for you to think about in terms of making a jump.

Your camera will need batteries, and a CF card. You'll need to make sure it's set properly, and that you start it shooting before you exit.

All of these things will subtract from your focus on making a safe skydiving, and sharpening your flying skills. If you don't feel ready to activate the shutter in freefall, don't make your skydive more complicated while you're trying to learn.

I don't know, I could be wrong, but if you're telling me that manually shooting your camera, with either a bite, tongue or blow switch is going to be too much of a distraction for you during a skydive, then it seems to me you are simply not ready to fly camera. There is a natural progression that needs to take place. All to often in here we see people wanting to short cut this progression.

1. First and foremost... you need to be able to fly your body without thinking. And you'll need to be able to do it with precision if you plan on going out with students whether that be AFF, coach or tandems. It's bad enough to bump into any one of these classifications while in freefall, but slamming into someone with a huge metal camera on your head is even worse.

2. Once your flying skills are up to par (and not when you think so, when a trusted WAY more experienced skydiver tells you), then you need to start by shooting video. Whether you believe it or not, shooting video is different. It's not just strapping a camera to your head and doing the same old skydive. It is a distraction and you need to be at a skill level that makes that distraction as insignificant as possible.

3. After you find shooting video to be routine (meaning, you're not finding yourself busting your pull altitude, you haven't forgotten to turn the damn thing on, your shots are ALWAYS framed correctly, etc.) then you can think about adding a still camera. Because now it's a whole new ball game. Now you have to worry about framing your subjects, all new camera settings, extra weight, etc. You'll find yourself forgetting to even push the shutter release to snap the photo etc.

Once you've went through and followed this natural progression, and you're able to set up your camera correctly, remember to turn it on and point it at the subject matter, use the sun to your advantage for good lighting, pop off a few stills to capture the "money shot", then and only then will you really be able to call yourself a camera flyer.

Don't go for short cuts. Learn the trade and strive to be better than the person you're learning it from. And above all, do it safely!

Gary "Superfletch" Fletcher
D-26145; USPA Coach, IAD/I, AFF/I
Videographer/Photographer

The idea was not really to take shortcuts in the learning process, but to reduce the amount of things you have to deal in free fall which IMO increases safety. I think even the most experience camera flyers would benefit from any kind of equipment that simplifies the job.
Thank you all for the input. I’ll keep building up my flying skills with just a video camera (I have a very small and light weight set up) until the jumpmaster feels I’m able to start shooting stills.
Blue skies and have a great week!

I don't want to simplify the way I take pictures, I want control over WHEN I take them. You need to be able as a cameraflyer to take the shots YOU want, like the money shot, if you have to rely on automatic shooting you're going to miss a lot of shots. Taking photos is an art, I suggest you treat it as such and you'll be a better camera flyer for it.

At first, if you're shooting digital stills, you'll probably go bite-bite-bite-bite for most of the jump anyway so you'll end up with a regular 3 fps anyway LOL

For some instances I can see automatic shooting work, like Billvon's and other's belly cams during World Team record skydives, but they are belly flyers in their slots, not outside camera flyers. Also for fun shots like a foot cam on a wingsuiter, then I can see your point, some of these shots wouldn't be possible otherwise.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Since you seem set on ignoring all the advice here

Where did you get that impression? That was not my attitude, please read my previous post.

Taking photos is an art, I suggest you treat it as such and you'll be a better camera flyer for it.

You’re absolutely right, photography is a form of art and it can’t be done randomly by a machine.

By reading all these replies I realized that I was talking with camera flyers that are really proud of their work. It is really nice to see things that way, thank you.

Many camera flyers are telling you no short cuts and you keep saying even experience cameraman can use it. I am sorry but this is getting little crazy it is not about you but many people with few hundred jumps want to do everything but with easy way, I can tell you no experience cameraman would like a system, we like to get the photo when we want not some automatic camera that takes one photo in each second.

Many camera flyers are telling you no short cuts and you keep saying even experience cameraman can use it. I am sorry but this is getting little crazy it is not about you but many people with few hundred jumps want to do everything but with easy way, I can tell you no experience cameraman would like a system, we like to get the photo when we want not some automatic camera that takes one photo in each second.

Yeah that system has been in use by many videographers for YEARS! It's called a VIDEOcamera or a FILMcamera.
they shoot at 30fps!!

honestly, what you should do is focus on improving your flying and VIDEO skills, do the framing and keeping your friends in frame using a video camera and then start working with the photos.

I can tell you no experience cameraman would like a system, we like to get the photo when we want not some automatic camera that takes one photo in each second.

I'm not an experienced camera flyer so maybe you are right, but I'd love something that did that. I'd use it for taking inside pictures when doing RW or when I'm doing video for my 4-way team. I used to shoot stills when filming 4-way a lot, but as I got closer and closer to the team, I found that I'm concentrating so hard on staying with the team that I can't concentrate on taking pictures. Since the team doesn't care about stills, I just don't bring the camera. I'd love to just make it click away and see what I get. Give my tongue a rest...

Dave