AUSkyguy

Flattop Pro Question

Hey Guys, I just bought a used older model Flattop pro which I am repainting and fixing up. I was wondering which latches had the most problem with coming undone in the sky and people loosing their gear? I've done a search here but could find any explanation of which latch was the worst. Mine has the one that hooks to the back piece and then snaps forward kinda like a ski boot. Also, if this is a problem how can i get a new latch? Will a new one from Bonehead go on my older style helmet?
-Chris Martin

You can retrofit the new latch on the old helmet, I did it on one of mine. You'll have to replace the bone if you want a cutaway though, and that can start to get expensive.
I think it's the skiboot one with the small "pin" that latched into the side that had a few problems coming undone. Someone else with more history can probably confirm or correct me.

I used to have the old metal one shown in diablopilots photo and it does come undone so beware you can very easily loose your helmet with it if it is bumped hard enough or is not latched extremely tight. (VOICE OF EXPERIENCE HERE) I managed to save it though come undone on opening and in free fall before i have since replaced the entire bone and latch with a cutaway system on it now . And it works beautifully, but be sure you have it shimmed properly for it to cut away correctly ? This is crucial!

1st photo is old metal style
second one is new bone and cutaway installed ,(notice the configuration of shim material on the bone ) The right side of the bone needs thicker padding or shims under it by the hinge. This is critical to insure proper cutaway !
Practice cutting it away at least a few times a season.

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

Thanks for all your help guys, I just ordered the new latch from bonehead so i can retrofit it to my flattop. I also noticed that the new helmets have the riser strike protection plate that covers the ratchet part mounted on the side of the helmet and has a small hole in it. Is this piece mandatory? Should i try to make my own to replace it or just go without? Sorry about all the questions this is my first flattop

Oh yeah, Here are some before and after pictures of it
I have yet to put my site on it
-Chris Martin

I have the middle version of the FTP. Ratchet style latch recessed into a plastic mounting piece w/o the release cover plate. I plan on making/installing the plate myself. It doesn't have the cut away, but that will be added as well.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

The closure in your post is/has been responsible for at least 3 helmet losses I know of directly. The fix for it is the protective box/cover currently available on the new FTP.

The latch I had on my FTP was the most secure thing I've seen yet. And very easy to remove in a hurry if needed.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

The cover protects the latch on the ratchet from riser strikes. If the riser hits just right, it will release the ladder out of the latch. Good by helmet. There is also a bump out on the bone that helps deflect the riser from getting under the lever that releases the tension from the latch. Not sure if I will replace the bone, but will add a cover to the ratchet.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

The closure in your post is/has been responsible for at least 3 helmet losses I know of directly. The fix for it is the protective box/cover currently available on the new FTP.

The latch I had on my FTP was the most secure thing I've seen yet. And very easy to remove in a hurry if needed.

Yeah, I'm one of those lucky ones B|

All it took was an opening with 12 line twists and a riser slap - bye bye FTP.....

Action©Sports

I have the middle version of the FTP. Ratchet style latch recessed into a plastic mounting piece w/o the release cover plate. I plan on making/installing the plate myself. It doesn't have the cut away, but that will be added as well.

I have (had) this same setup on my FTP. I would have thought that it was nearly impossible for it to get released inadvertantly, but I guess for me, my odds were only 1:5000. On opening, my right riser managed to snag the tension release, while my left riser pressed hard enough against the left side of my helmet to release the ratchet latch. The result can be seen below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ie5dPjWunQ

I lost an early Vapor at 5k some years ago as the closing latch broke on linestrech.

Amazingly enough my Sony trv 120 worked, at least kind of, even after impact.... We'll it had to be scrapped eventually.

In the end I was able to save my Protrack, sight-assembly and Cam-eye.

Thomas