c1sc0

VIO POV.1 for skydiving?

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone has used the VIO POV.1 camera for skydiving. I'm considering getting one to shoot some ice climbing in Canada in a few weeks & a definite plus would be if I could safely use this setup for skydiving. Linky:

http://helmetcameracentral.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=28&osCsid=8d9fb200a200c2c5cca331d49b0cb0b3

E.g. What about snag points when this thing is taped to the top of a helmet? Will the cable pose any great probs? etc ...

Cheers - Francis

SEARCH in the upper right corner can be your friend.

It's a low end camera with poor optics recording to MPEG 4 (which in and of itself isn't a problem, but feed garbage to a highly compressed format, and the garbage only gets worse).
This camera has horrible dynamic range, and will exhibit rolling shutter artifacts at any shutter speed faster than 1/120. It has a 4.5mm focal, which is approx the same as a 37mm width compared to a 35mm camera value/focal length. Too narrow for such a small POV cam, IMO.
In short, it's great for shooting buddies during a freefly if they're not too close. You wouldn't want to use this for tandems. MP4 isn't easy to edit unless you've got a very fast, very current computer.
HTH

Since you only have 21 jumps, I'm not sure that we should be having a discussion of a separated recording system...it's dangerous when you're a pro, let alone a newbie.

For iceclimbing, I'd imagine that all snag points can be eliminated, but do you really want your helmet tethered to your body? Creating a cutaway for a camera or helmet is fairly easy, but bear in mind that a helmet or camera cutaway won't help if the camera is tethered to a belt or body pack being used for recording unless you build a quick release into the cable, and know that the quick release will have integrity until you cut it away. That's the harder part, IMO. You need a MUCH wider focal length if you're going to use this for climbing, unless you don't mind extreme closeups of rocks.

I was more thinking of this as a second camera for ice climbing, I've got wide-angle on the main cam but I wanted some action shots to mix into the 'static' shots of ice.

I wasn't considering to jump any kind of camera soon, more of a safety of investment issue. Thanks for the warning though.

The thing that intrigued me was that I have seen this kind of bullet cam / duct-tape setup where I jump.