dragon2

new canon eos 450D/rebel xsi

while the pixel count means very little,your right when it comes to skydiving the 450d is probably better i havnt started thinking like that yet as i wont be needing a camera to helmet mount for quite a while

It's true that the jump from 10MP to 12MP isn't nearly as significant as some people think. Especially for normal photography when you can take your time and frame your subject with the viewfinder. But for skydiving photography where framing is almost never perfect, and cropping is almost always necessary, every little extra bit of resolution helps.

Well... To really make use of those extra 2 MP, you will have to buy very sharp lenses... Canons L-series, for example. For the majority of photographers, who use kit lenses or 3rd party consumer lenses, the difference in sensor resolution doesn't really matter.

while the pixel count means very little,your right when it comes to skydiving the 450d is probably better i havnt started thinking like that yet as i wont be needing a camera to helmet mount for quite a while

It's true that the jump from 10MP to 12MP isn't nearly as significant as some people think. Especially for normal photography when you can take your time and frame your subject with the viewfinder. But for skydiving photography where framing is almost never perfect, and cropping is almost always necessary, every little extra bit of resolution helps.

Well... To really make use of those extra 2 MP, you will have to buy very sharp lenses... Canons L-series, for example. For the majority of photographers, who use kit lenses or 3rd party consumer lenses, the difference in sensor resolution doesn't really matter.

Actually it does, but in a bad way... Cheap-ish lenses that were ok on an older model may now be soft and really should be replaced [:/]

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Where can one find independent ratings of sharpness of various lenses? I'm guessing every lens has a maximum amount "pixels" (or discrete sharp lines of light) it can be rated for. I'm curious how well my Canon 10-22 fares.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

There are a lot of databases on the web with in-depth review of lenses.

One that i use quite frequently is http://www.photozone.de/. Your 10-22mm should be found there, among a wide selection of original and 3rd party lenses.

Believe it or not I went to that exact site and read the 10-22mm review just before making my post. Obviously I didn't look closely enough, I just went back and read it again and found the part where they talk about resolution. They basically say at the center, at the right aperture and zoom level, it may barely exceed the XT's 8MP. Otherwise not. So maybe I'll just stick with my XT. :$ There's no way I'm buying a new lens any time soon.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

There are a lot of databases on the web with in-depth review of lenses.

One that i use quite frequently is http://www.photozone.de/. Your 10-22mm should be found there, among a wide selection of original and 3rd party lenses.

Believe it or not I went to that exact site and read the 10-22mm review just before making my post. Obviously I didn't look closely enough, I just went back and read it again and found the part where they talk about resolution. They basically say at the center, at the right aperture and zoom level, it may barely exceed the XT's 8MP. Otherwise not. So maybe I'll just stick with my XT. :$ There's no way I'm buying a new lens any time soon.

Good choice... The 10-22mm is the best ultra-wide for APS-C cameras. For better results you would have to go full-frame, with a 16-35mm L or 17-40mm L... That's an entirely different price (and weight) class.

It's pretty interesting... last week I was reading a photography forum where people were trying to decide between the 40D and 5D. Now the discussion is between the 40D and 450D. Seems crazy that someone could be in the market for either the 450D or 5D...

But the consensus is that the 2 mp bump is mostly just to make it sound better to consumers that think megapixels are important.

Dave

Where can one find independent ratings of sharpness of various lenses? I'm guessing every lens has a maximum amount "pixels" (or discrete sharp lines of light) it can be rated for. I'm curious how well my Canon 10-22 fares.

Not sure if this helps but I used this to compare lenses. It was a great help to me.
My photos

My Videos