skydork

Favorite tandem music

I've been steering towards licence and royality free music as much as I can lately. There are vast librarys out there with all sorts of really good stuff in it if you look at the instramental/techno/uptempo areas. There is no need to violate all sorts of copyright laws on tandem music if you just look around for some choices that no one else would think of using sicne its "free".
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Phree has the right idea. I abandoned the practice of using music without sync licensing on my tandem vidi's. I have found several decent tracks on JAMENDO.COM and at INCOMPETECH.

This allows me to use the Creative Commons License on my DVD's, making it perfectly legal for the client to post them on YouTube if they want to along with the soundtrack.

same here, I won't risk the DZ or myself by using copyrighted works.

Sundance Media Group/VASST offers royalty-free, full license stock music, some of which is excellent for tandem and other video use.
Digital Juice offers great music, WEEDMUSIC.com, stock20.com (use the discount code of VASST to get 20% off), Broadjam, and the sites mentioned earlier in this thread are great for tandems.

***Disclaimer: I am a partner in VASST.com and Sundance Media and do derive financial benefit from sales from those sites.

same here, I won't risk the DZ or myself by using copyrighted works.

Sundance Media Group/VASST offers royalty-free, full license stock music, some of which is excellent for tandem and other video use.
Digital Juice offers great music, WEEDMUSIC.com, stock20.com (use the discount code of VASST to get 20% off), Broadjam, and the sites mentioned earlier in this thread are great for tandems.

***Disclaimer: I am a partner in VASST.com and Sundance Media and do derive financial benefit from sales from those sites.

Just to be clear: It's not the fact that the works are copyrighted that's the problem. What these sources provide is the license you need to legally use them the way you need to. In the case of tandem vidi's, you have to be licensed to synchronize the music into your video and the copyright holder has to also give you license to use it for commercial purposes.

We could have a lot of fun playing with the semantics of the discussion, but it's the mere existence of the copyright that gives the holder of the copyright to choose whether or not to grant license, and in most discussions, it doesn't need to be torn apart to discuss whether or not a sync, performance, and compulsory are granted. Most folks (I hope) are aware that buying a CD and ripping it to your computer doesn't grant any of those licenses, as you point out.
CreativeCommons, Broadjam, weedmusic, etc grant you varying degrees of limited license to use their works without additional compulsory, sync, or performance fees, and in most cases, also negate the requirement to report usage of those copyrighted works to which they've granted a license.
In the case of our VASST royalty-free works, we grant freedom from compulsory, sync, performance, producer, master royalties or license fees when the music is purchased.

Upshot to all of the above mumbo-jumbo is that some of us understand and avoid the risks of using "Free Falling"/Tom Petty or "Jump"/VanHalen, and have elected to use some form of risk-free, license cleared music. It's the smart thing to do. Especially if you're a big DZ.

Yes ... I wasn't really aiming my remarks at you, I know that you understand all of the semantic details. I come across people all of the time who think it's no big deal to sync a music piece to their video because they or the client have purchased the CD, or downloaded a song from the net, assuming it is "public domain". There are many other justifications I've heard for it. It was less dangerous to rationalize when it was just VHS tapes, but now we have YouTube and the RIAA. People need to realize that it might become pretty important for them to "read the fine print" before they distribute a sync'd vidi to a tandem client that turns around and uploads it to YouTube. That could turn out to be a very expensive deal for them and their DZ.;)

I have to agree with everyone here. We are a small DZ still using CR songs. It's a pain in the as@ and I would like to get away from it. Any more sugestions for sites to fine good music would be appreciated.
With the ability of home computer video editing does anyone offer the student raw footage to edit themselves?
What if they were to edit or re-edit the video then place on the web with cr music??

With the ability of home computer video editing does anyone offer the student raw footage to edit themselves?

I think you'll probably get a variety of opinions on this one. I have a rule that I follow strictly - to never show raw footage to the client. There is a lot of stuff that people say (or do) while you are recording that can prove very embarrassing to somebody. I do NLE on all of my work so in my case, at a very small DZ, it works out because the client doesn't get their video right away and I feel better that their first view of my work is a finished, edited product.

I've never had a client request raw footage yet, but I don't think I would do it unless they requested it before the jump; then I would be much more careful about recording.

What if they were to edit or re-edit the video then place on the web with cr music??

My finished DVD's are given to the student under the Creative Commons Attribution - Share Alike (US) license, so they can basically do whatever they want with it, as long as they do it in accordance with the license.

Edited: Oh and of course they are permitted to "edit or re-edit the video then place on the web with cr music" as long as they get permission/license from the other CC holder to do it ;) and not in any way that suggests that I endorse them or their use of my work.

I want to get into tandem videography, including overlaying music onto tandem video and selling the DVD to the customer. I also want to do it right, i.e., without violating copyright of the musician, record comapny, whoever. I've looked around on some of the sites mentioned (digital juice, vasst, etc.) and have a few questions:

1. Is it correct that with these sites (digital juice, vasst, etc.) you pay once for the music (up front), and then you can make copies onto a dvd that you'll sell to the tandem customer?

2. There's so much content to choose from on these sites (digital juice has over 40 stacktraxx volumes for $69 each). Does anyone have any specific recommendations on one's that they use for tandem videos?

Thanks.

Depends on the licensing, some are per copy, others are per broadcast, still others are a combination of how many are copied, where it's broadcast, etc. It can get confusing.
In the case of the VASST tools and the Digital Juice content, once you've paid for it, there are zero restrictions of any kind, outside of giving your buddy a copy for his own use.
In other words, use to your heart's content for tandem videos, just don't buy one disc and then make copies for every tandem video editor you know.

The DJ action sports library is good stuff for starters.

In the case of the VASST tools and the Digital Juice content, once you've paid for it, there are zero restrictions of any kind, outside of giving your buddy a copy for his own use.
In other words, use to your heart's content for tandem videos, just don't buy one disc and then make copies for every tandem video editor you know.

Thanks.

I just surfed around productiontrax.com, and they have a similar commercial license: buy the music up front and you can freely edit it into videos that you'll sell to customers; but cannot sell copies of the music itself.

Now its just a matter of finding what to use. (BTW, the DJ "sport stack" stacktraxx is no longer available.)

Uhh...yeah. We actually are moving in that direction with our library, but until NAB is over...we're not there yet.
It's very encouraging to see/hear from vidiots that they're interested in reducing the risk to themselves and their dropzone by moving away from copyrighted content.

Phil may not have sugar coated his response but I have to agree. Too many transitions are tedious to watch and ultimately take away from the video.

On a positive note I thought several of the clips were entertaining. I think I would have saved the funnel for later instead of first but it isn't my art anyway now is it. Keep making these little videos and they are bound to evolve.

Now to the point of the thread.....That music really blows chunks but that is just my opinion.
;)

"... this ain't a Nerf world."

Phil I can not agree more! Just since you have a tool or option does not mean you have to use it every chance you can get. Cuts and fades should do 99% of your story telling and the gaudy ones are for those times that it is needed to tell the story. Batman with its spinning Bat symbol between the major plot points is a notable exception but overloading a video with effects or transitions can really take away from it and you rely on those to carry your story and it rarely will ever be able to do that.
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

I'm guessing that since you used really cheezy music, you also used the cheezy transitions on purpose? If your transitions are noticed, then they're inappropriate, is the general rule. Transitions that are longer than 7 frames are usually inappropriate as well. Some really great stuff in the vid, but man...I had to shut off the audio to watch it.:D

Hi All

My balls hurt like hell!!!;)

Thanks for the input - it's better to know what people really think than be bullshitted so no complaints this end,

As you can probably guess I am still relatively new to all of this including editing etc and yeah....I have perhaps overdone the transitions. Personally, I prefer to watch a clip and want to see it again rather than see it for too long and get bored with it. (Like the 'good bit' in a music track so to speak.)

Also, I wanted all of the footage to be stuff I had filmed myself rather than 'borrowing' from elsewhere which a lot of people seem to do....so yes it is perhaps tame in parts,

The music.....? Sorry but I love it - it's a favoured Northern Soul number in the UK. Great dance music but again I accept not to everyone's taste.

Please explain the 'pillar boxing' and other terms in comments.......

Critiques are genuinely welcomed......(I have a skin like a Rhino)....I know a lot of you guys have massive knowledge and experience.

Thanks

RedKite

Pilliaring is at the end, you have a still of a bird with black bars on both sides. Why? The photo would have fit just fine on a 4:3 screen if you cropped it and got rid of the wasted space at the top and bottom of the photo. On a 16:9 it still would have fit but not as pretty. That one might have been a time to choose a still that was composed better to fit the screen. Portrait photos always have a hard time on 16:9 with out cropping.

Great dance music? I have no idea how you could dance to it. :D:D

If you are looking at using anything other then a fade or a cut in your video ask yourself "What value is this adding to this scene?" Unless you come up with an answer that the story really can not be told without that transition then you probally should not use it. There are always exceptions to this, but they are usually done on purpose and for a specific reason. The Batman transitions, Star Wars uses slow page wipes for some scenes but this is on purpose to give it that sci-fi feel. Other Sci-fi shows use things like warp speed or wormhole flashes to transition (explode to white then fade in from white) or other gimicy things but they use those to move the story along, not just to use them since they can. 24 uses the split screens to convey lots of action occuring at the same time in different enviroments, but just about everything else is a simple cut or fast fade.

If you want to have an example of this in real life sit and watch a tv show and count the number of cuts, the number of fades and the number of other transitions. You might see 1 other transition during an entire 30 or 60 minute TV show. Do the same during most movies and you'll end up a count on a single hand unless they need

I sat and watched a Year End video the other year where I was able to pick out the editing program within 60 seconds since they used every transition under the sun including some only found in Studio. This was distracting since I was noticing the transitions including some really really bad ones (stars dancing on screen, spinning video cube, burning wanted poster) instead of the content of their video.

Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

Please explain the 'pillar boxing' and other terms in comments.......

Pillar-boxing is a term for the vertical black bars that are added to the sides of a video to take up space when a video is narrower than the screen it is viewed on. Like when non-wide screen videos are viewed on a wide screen (Letter-boxing, which is more commonly seen, is when there are black bars on the top and bottom. Like when a wide-screen video is viewed on a traditional, non-wide screen TV.)

As far as your video, it wasn't just at the end, but (as I remember) the whole video was slightly squeezed. For example, that was a mighty narrow Otter at the beginning of the video. It looks like you outputted the video to a different size, and didn't keep the same aspect ratio. Look for a term like "constrain proportions," or "constrain aspect ratio," something like that. As far as I know, youtube gives you a 4:3 screen size, which means non-widescreen footage should fill the screen. If you are outputting widescreen, you should get letter-boxing.