steveorino

strange video editing question

I desire to capture video snippets from movies to introduce topics I lead in a recovery group at my work where I am a therapist. For instance, in the movie Anger Mgt, there is a 3 1/2 minute scene where Nicholson (the therapist) stops Sandler (the patient) on a bridge and makes him sing "I feel pretty" from West side story. Pretty funny! It is a great intro into a discussion about anger.

Most DVDs have some code to keep you from bootlegging. I have a video license I purchased to use such material (similar to a church's CCLI that allows them to project print music in a church bulletin) Is there a way to run the DVDs through my linear editing equipment or even capture the short segments on a video camera?

steveOrino

You can either rip the dvd to your harddrive, there is software that can do that regardless of (most) encryption, then rename the .vob file you're after to .mpg and your nle system can work with that, or export to tape, this gives a fairly high quality.

Other way is play the dvd in a regular dvd player while capturing using a videocamera's composite or s-vhs (if the dvd player doesn't have composite - most likely - try routing the signal to a vhs-recorder that does), obviously the quality will degrade here but if you're already using a linear system you probably work with vhs already.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Bear in mind that by ripping DVD content, you are in immediate violation of the law, and once shown in your therapy group, you expose the organization to legal action.
The waivers for bypassing copyguards are very specific, and essentially only apply to educational groups, virtually no one else. You may *think* you have a video license, I'm 110% certain you don't.

That said, if you are aware of the risks and wish to go that route, DVDRip, Womble, and many other tools exist that are free/near free, that will allow you to rip a vob file. Most NLE systems can read a vob.

a-VERY familiar with CVLI, as my works are one of the organizations that are signed on to CVLI.
Very few major studios are CVLI signatories.
b-(the important one) CVLI does not, and cannot license any one to circumvent copy protections placed on a visual work. DMCA applies to CVLI just as it does for anyone else.
Notice on your CVLI license pages, that there are very specific studios that are licensing agents, and even in those signatories, not all of their films will fall under CVLI. For example, Dreamworks is producing "The Ruins" but I know for certain that the director and writer of that film did not certify "The Ruins" for a CVLI.
CVLI does not allow licensees to merely copy any DVD or CD they've purchased willi-nilli. And if the DVD has copy protection (CSS) then no CVLI covers it, federal law precludes it. The *only* anti-circumventions are very specific as found on the copyright.gov website.
You won't find any mention of CVLI in the 2006, 2003, or 2001 hearings on the subject.

Having used CCLI for over 25 years and more recently CVLI, I'm aware of the limitations you just posted. I was respond to your 110% assertation that I do not have a "video license"

All that being said, I may be rationalizing my ethics, but I personally have no problem buying "anger Management" and copying a 3 minute video clip of it to to introduce my discusion on anger. Of course tonight I simply cued it up and showed it from the original DVD I purchased for $7 at Wally World. I'm simply trying to save myself some time.

I have always had a civil disobedience response to stupid or unjust laws. For instance I have never put the NIV copyright bs on scripture text I placed in a buletin when I pastored bigger churches. Lock me up ... ;)

steveOrino

Other way is play the dvd in a regular dvd player while capturing using a videocamera's composite or s-vhs (if the dvd player doesn't have composite - most likely - try routing the signal to a vhs-recorder that does), obviously the quality will degrade here but if you're already using a linear system you probably work with vhs already.

This is what I tried to do, as I'm not looking for quality, just a clip to show to introduce a theme, but perhaps I had the cords hooked up wrong. I have the Sony HC 30 and Sony HC 40. I ran the 5 pin cable from the camera back to the rCA on the DVD player. I could not get the image to come up.

steveOrino

You should be able to get some image via the analog connection but it will likely be distorted and unusable due to the Macrovision ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macrovision ) copy protection that, I believe, is present on most commercial DVDs and VHS video tapes.

Oops.. correction: From the wikipedia article,

Some DVD players give the user the option of disabling the Macrovision technology. This is possible since the signal is not stored on the DVD itself; instead commercial DVDs contain an instruction to the player to create such a signal during playback. Some DVD players can be configured to ignore such instructions.

The result is the same, though... you'll get an unusable analog signal.

Not to mention that the DV cam is programmed to not pass vid if it detects CSS or Macrovision.
There are methods of getting around it, but the best result is when a program like DVDRip is used. Or, if you have a cheap TBC, you can sometimes work around copy encoding.

You can either rip the dvd to your harddrive, there is software that can do that regardless of (most) encryption, then rename the .vob file you're after to .mpg and your nle system can work with that, or export to tape, this gives a fairly high quality.

I downloaded DVDshrink and it appeared to either backup or write the movie "somewhere" but I don't know where. Anybody have experience with DVDshrink?

steveOrino

DVD Shrink only create temporary files (BUP), to locate this files, load disc and open DVD Shrink, select Back Up option and then in the pop up menu select Target Device, and there is the option: "Select folder for temporary files", click Browse and this shows you were are this temporary files located.

I hope this make sense. BTW I don't think editing softwares support BUP files.

Cielos Azules.