murrays

Canon ZR830 / Sony HC42 Question

So, my wife lost our HC42 camcorder a couple of weeks ago and I am looking for a replacement...unfortunately I hadn't finished importing all of our old DV tapes onto the computer or I'd just buy a new HD camera of some description. The HC42 doesn't seem to be available anymore so I was checking the specs of different things out, trying to find something inexpensive that will do the job.

The Canon has the true widescreen capture which I assume is the same as is on the Sony. Would both of these cameras be recording according to a standard so that if I play back the tapes made on my Sony they will play back on the Canon and import properly into iMovie?
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

The Sony HD cameras will run in a "normal" DV mode.

JP, That's tempting but I really like the idea of buying one of these new flash based HD machines and getting away from tape forever....after I capture everything to the computer. Hence the cheap DV idea.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

So, my wife lost our HC42 camcorder a couple of weeks ago and I am looking for a replacement...

Try getting a dog. I think they're cheaper than wives, and they never play with your camera stuff.

But the kids are attached to her and I'd be a villain if I got rid of her.:P
--
Murray

If you really want to do away with tapes and get a solid state vid cam why not borrow a miniDV cam from someone just to transfer to PC?:S

Huh? How do you plan to connect a solid-state cam to a mini dv cam, or whatever it is you're proposing?

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Any DV camera will properly playback any DV tape. There are some rare instances where 15fps progressive from Canon won't play in older Sony, but it's exceptionally rare.
For Xfer's, you can get by with a very cheap DV camcorder or deck.

It should. If it's not, it's another one of those very rare situations.
Unlike analog video, DV is just bits, and no different than DLT backup systems. Speed not withstanding, there are occasionally incompatible data tracks and error correction issues, but they are incredibly rare.

yes, they do work, but they memory function does absolutely nothing/stores nothing/reads nothing, so you're spending $$ on a non-use functionality.
I've used them in situations where they've been the only tape in a box within reach. But it's an expensive use.

Here is a copy of part of the manual from a PC9, PC10, PC120BT, etc...

Notes on the LP mode
•When you record a tape in the LP mode on your camcorder, we recommend playing
the tape on your camcorder. When you play back the tape on other camcorders or
VCRs, noise may occur in pictures or sound.

One would assume that it should work nicely, but many times it does not. With that said many times it does work nicely and you do not get problems.

Any DV camera will properly playback any DV tape. There are some rare instances where 15fps progressive from Canon won't play in older Sony, but it's exceptionally rare.
For Xfer's, you can get by with a very cheap DV camcorder or deck.

Thank-you DSE. I'll look for something cheap with Firewire to get the job done but have one question..... Will a camcorder that only records/plays back standard aspect ratio play back stuff that I recorded in wide aspect ratio on the HC42?

I don't want to borrow from anybody because it might take me a long time...busy time of year, lots of tapes, etc, etc.
--
Murray