normiss

Sony software for editing on Vista?

So when I last bought one of my cameras - over a year ago...everything worked fine with XP. Now comes a computer with Vista, Sony says the DCR-HC40 is compatible with Vista. It appears that it is...although you need the original CD with Sony software for the drivers...and you can't download the newer software without the original either. I never used their software anyway!
fuckers....anybody else have this issue and find a way around it?

I think I'm downgrading to XP...unless Vegas Pro works tonight...for some reason the system insists on a driver for the firewire connection...Sony says it's included in Vista, Microsnot says Sony needs to provide the driver.
I say fuck 'em both...damnit.>:(

Dunno why either of them would be going there. The driver for default 1394 card that is OHCI compliant is included in WinXP ServicePak1, and included in all versions of Vista.
Running Vegas Pro 8 on 2 different desktop Vista machines, and on 25 laptops that are all Vista machines.
PM me with more detail, I'll do my best. side note, i'm getting on a plane today to head back to the states, so will be off for the better part of the next 24 hours.

Since MS has announced that XP will be supported at leas until the end of 2012 and XP is the only (according to MHO) stabile workstation OS ever (I'm only referring to MS OS's).

I can't really see the need to switch to an OS that will steal a whole lot more resources from your hardware, on top of this compatibility issues with almost everything that you can connect to you PC.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to diss anything just seeing things from a practical point of view.

So go back to XP and cry a little bit less ;)

“The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.” - George Bernard Shaw
He who dies with the most toys, wins.....
dudeist skydiver # 19515
Buy quality and cry once!

So go back to XP and cry a little bit less ;)

Harder to do on a new computer. You not only get dinged for the new computer with Vista, but you get the pleasure of uninstalling/wiping, installing XP, hoping all the drivers are accessible.
Or, you get the option of simply spending more $$ and buying a machine with XP on it, which seems even more silly.
Before the Macheads chime in, the new Leopard isn't much better, ie; it breaks more than it fixes or enhances. I wasn't able to bring my MacBook on this trip with me because Bootcamp expired, and Leopard won't work with my off-board adapters yet.

I never buy a new computer with a bundled OS license, I buy an OEM license instead and then I'm free to choose any OS I please. A bit more expensive but freedom isn't cheap B|

But getting rid of a pre installed OS isn't very hard, I have found the command 'fdisk /mbr' very useful (DON't try just beacuse your curious, it will wipe out your master boot record on the hard drive)

When it comes to drivers it's always a hassle I agree, but most hardware should have a working XP driver by now.

I don't even have a clue about mac's, they are like woman to me. I know they are great for some fun stuff, but I just don't get them :ph34r:

“The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.” - George Bernard Shaw
dudeist skydiver # 19515

Probably Sweden is an exeption then, no problems buying a laptop without an OS here.

But I agree, more $$ and time have to be spent in order to have a taylor made system.
dudeist skydiver # 19515

This is kinda weird...I'm having issues with the keyboard driver, it's installed twice and the system still wants it when I boot up...:S
Add to that the firewire driver request (although other firewire devices work fine), and it refuses to install; last night the GPS unit drivers wouldn't install either, although they work fine on the Vista laptop (no firewire to test on the laptop)
Vista rebuild started last night...something got corrupt in one of the problems I had with something...the Microsoft Reclusa kybd comes to mind first...
We'll see in awhile....