ozzy13

Looking to buy a new camera

I have a 2k composites FF2 helmet witch fits all Sony HC and PC cameras except the new Hi Def ones I am using the HC 32 now and its on the frits after only being a year old . I was wondering what other people like. Any help would be helpful. Thanks
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

Hey

I have 2KC FF2 Carbon and I have a total of about 1000 skydives on it using the following cameras:

PC105: about 890 skydives on this one, got it new for $800, 30mm thread, reasonably compact and light, good battery life, reasonable low light peformance, still have it, but stopped using it skydiving after it got wet a 3rd time and now the touchscreen doesn't work.

PC9: about 150 jumps on this. borrowed it from my girlfriend. 30mm thread. heavier and bigger than PC105, picture about the same, low light performance reasonable, reasonable battery life.
I liked the old style stereo-jack A/V cable on this, much more user friendly and robust than that damned 10-pin D-plug sony is forcing on us now.

PC330: about 75 jumps on this. bought it on EBay with a lens for $450. it's big. it's heavy. 37mm thread. good low light performance. great picture (noticeably better than 9, 105 and only a little less sharp than PC1000 in good light, better than PC1000 in low light) reasonable battery life.

PC1000: just got one now that the season is over and I haven't even jumped it yet. 30mm thread. Great daytime picture quality. Low light performance not good. Battery life shorter than 9, 105, 330 with standard batteries. Fairly light, narrow, but tall. 4 of the vidiots at our DZ uses these, me and one other guy uses 330s. Comments based on my comparisons with their videos.

The PC330 is physically the biggest and heaviest of these, but it fits in my FF2 and they seem to be a bit of a performance bargain. I will switch to the PC1000, as it is lighter and having a 20D on my helmet too, I am looking to lighten up wherever I can until I replace the 20D. Good thing I jump soft opening canopies!

The PC1000 seems hard to find and are overpriced.
If you can live with the size and weight, the PC330 is a good choice. The PC9 and PC105 also, but the picture is not in the same class as the PC330 and PC1000.

hope that helps.

If I'm bored later maybe I will line up a PC9, PC105, PC330 and PC1000 and take a group shot if anyone would be interested in size comparisons.