Skylark

Can I fly a camera?

250 jumps.
Can freefly, head-down, a few wing-suit jumps.
No camera jumps.
Haven't jumped for 3 years.
Jumping again in 2 weeks.

My questions:

Can I jump a camera?
How can one fly a canopy with a camera on side of helmet? Dont the risers have to be there? Wont the camera get in the way?

What else do you I need to be careful of?

"Into the dangerous world I leapt..." William Blake, Songs of Experience

How can one fly a canopy with a camera on side of helmet? Dont the risers have to be there? Wont the camera get in the way?

What else do you I need to be careful of?

If you have to ask simple questions like that the answers it NO, because it shows you have NOT taken the time to learn on your own or even understand the basics of camera flying.......search is your friend.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

I think your asking stupid questions! And if you would take the time to read and search this fourm for sometime before asking your [edit] questions, you would find 95% of the answers you seek and not look like twit asking [edit] questions like "how do I fly a canopy with a sidemount camera[edit]"

Do you see the search button at the bottom of the page? Use it!

Yes, you can fly a camera. No, you shouldn't be flying one right now.
250 jumps or not, you're:
a-not current
b-haven't had any instruction from anyone on camera flying.
c-the sort of questions you're asking indicate you haven't got a lot of experience "flying."

I'd recommend you search/read through the forums a bit, read the sticky at the top of the page, and most importantly, spend some time talking to an instructor at your DZ.

Flying a camera is more than just buying a helmet and strapping on a camera.
Riser slap is indeed an issue with sidemount cameras, and so is body position during deployment.

Taknig the time to learn on my own!? What do you think I'm doing? Anyone want to post a useful reply?

Stratostar isn't being very diplomatic but basically he is suggesting that you speak to experienced camera flyers at your home dz and learn about the the problems and basics with regard to camera flying instead of asking for advice on an online forum.

Now I realize that you aren't in the USA but the USPA recommends at least a C license (which requires 200 jump and you have that) but also recommends that:

"The jumper should have made at least 50 recent jumps on the same parachute equipment to be used for camera flying."

now recent is a vague word but since you haven't jumped in 3 years I would suggest you wait until you have made at least some jumps before incorporating a snag point into your system.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

You haven't jumped in 3 years and you want to add complication to your jumps. I'd be more concerned with getting back in the groove of jumping instead of worrying about cameras. While you are getting some jumps under your belt, take that time to ask other jumpers that are flying a camera about their gear. Not knowing the simplest of information (riser slaps on sidemount cameras) indicates that you are not ready to jump a camera. This is one situation where not knowing gear and the associated safety issues can KILL you. Read about what piisfish went through. He learned a lot about his gear on just one jump. This video should put a pucker in your pooper. Are you ready to deal with what happened to him?
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I know he's suggesting I speak to experienced camera flyers first; that's precisely the reason I posted on here as I thought it a good place to find experienced flyers who would like to help...hmmm.

I know he's suggesting I speak to experienced camera flyers first; that's precisely the reason I posted on here as I thought it a good place to find experienced flyers who would like to help...hmmm.

Specifically he's suggesting you speak to local camera flyers. The reason for that is because whereas we don't know your skills (other then that you have 230 jumps and haven't jumped in three years) they will and can give advice to you specifically based on your knowledge.

and please forgive stratostar he's a self admitted cranky old man... ;) (I know... I was there and he said it to me personally...) but ultimately he means well... :)

Ah NO, I'm specifically suggesting that he and other noobies learn to use the search button and take the time to read the many many threads and advice that can be found in this fourm, BEFORE posting and asking stupid questions that clearly show that one has no clue about that of what they seek to know!

And yes had this OP and the many others before had taken the time to vist with the locals at the dz after a 3 year layoff, one would have a slight idea of what the hell is going on and what info to seek out in more detail.

Being a grumpy old fart has nothing to do with!:P

Now back to your regular programing.

Do you see the search button at the bottom of the page? Use it!

I added it to my Sig line a few months ago when we were all talking about "search"
Dragon2 should get a kick out of it. Nah, actually I'm sure she has seen it about 25 times.

SEARCH!

Skylark,
What the others have said is true. Search, read up on some stuff then you'll have more educated questions. If you expect someone to do the work for you by answering a vague question in great detail I suggest you not jump camera for quite some time.

It's a whole lot more troublesome than strapping the cam to a helmet.
You have to change your EP's. If you haven't even been using them I suggest you get current again and enjoy your rebirth.Edit to add. the EP's are not the only thing you have to adjust. you have to adjust EVERYTHING.
My photos

My Videos

Talking to videographers is the key, but first learn to fly, and by that I mean learn to fly so that you are able to fly your body freely and accurately WHILE you are focusing on the object you are filming.

One of the biggest safety risks in cameraflying is that you get very caught up in the filming, meaning that your brain uses more time processing that then your actual flying (and avoiding others in the air or following their movements).

So once you can fly, kind of by instinct (cannot put it any better, sorry), you can prepare yourself for flying camera as well.

my few, petty, cents,
Thomas

Ah NO, I'm specifically suggesting that he and other noobies learn to use the search button and take the time to read the many many threads and advice that can be found in this fourm, BEFORE posting and asking stupid questions that clearly show that one has no clue about that of what they seek to know!

And yes had this OP and the many others before had taken the time to vist with the locals at the dz after a 3 year layoff, one would have a slight idea of what the hell is going on and what info to seek out in more detail.

Being a grumpy old fart has nothing to do with!:P

Now back to your regular programing.

So you think asking questions about the safety aspects of camera-flying is 'stupid'? Oh, dear, you're not one of those grumpy old ex-army types that has been taught to scream at new-recruits, are you? And what makes you think I'm a 'he' and not a 'she'?

I will 'take the time' to read the many threads that are here, but that doesn't preclude me from simply using this forum to ask other jumpers what they think.

If you don't have anything useful to say, don't say anything at all. Do something more constructive with your time.

Yawn!

I will 'take the time' to read the many threads that are here, but that doesn't preclude me from simply using this forum to ask other jumpers what they think.

If you don't have anything useful to say, don't say anything at all. Do something more constructive with your time.

Yawn!

I got news for you, the 'yawn' isn't going to help your cause any.

Ever think for just a minute that the people who responded to your post have already answered your exact question, most likely multiple times?

Maybe instead of taking their time to answer the same questions all over agin, you could do some 'work' and use the search and find the answers yourself (they're in there)?

Keep in mind that most of these guys came up before DZ.com, or even the internet. They had to do the real 'work' to learn this stuff, and if you roll in here with an attitude of entitlement, don't be surprised to find some resistance.

Keep in mind that most of these guys came up before DZ.com, or even the internet. They had to do the real 'work' to learn this stuff, and if you roll in here with an attitude of entitlement, don't be surprised to find some resistance.

even some of us that came up during dz.com looked the help of local camera people instead of asking about it here. ;)

and for that matter I still do... btw: thanks Stratostar the blow switch works much better then the tongue switch ever did... :)

So you think asking questions about the safety aspects of camera-flying is 'stupid'? Oh, dear, you're not one of those grumpy old ex-army types that has been taught to scream at new-recruits, are you? And what makes you think I'm a 'he' and not a 'she'?

Yawn!

And now you're just a troll. Move on!
My photos

My Videos

I don't really care what sex you are. And no I'm not an ex-grunt. And NO I have no problem with people asking about safe camera flying in general, in fact I'm quite willing to answer questions or help teach it and have trained a number of camera flyers at my expense and with them using my personal equipment.

HOWEVER I do expect that YOU and others like you take the time to do some research of the wealth of information that is contained within the vast amount of threads in this fourm,(ever wonder why we have sticky's at the top of the page, one marked FAQ) as well as visit with your local cam-flyers to get a basic understanding of what is and is not considered safe or usable equipment and skills, BEFORE you show up here and ask simple questions that have been answered a thousand times before by those of us who had to learn it the hard way or invented most of what is used today.

The fact that you posted what you did in the first post screams quite loudly that you in fact are a lazy ass person that wants the info just handed to you, my guess is your quite young and like your peers one of the "drive-thru generation".

Do something more constructive with your time.

Damn good advice!, maybe you should follow it and get off your lazy ass and start doing your home work or not and go ahead slap a camera on and go try it out and learn the hard way like the rest of us did.

NO ONE is saying not to ask questions here, but EVERYONE is saying get a clue first and do a little leg work on your own first, your not the first person to ask those questions and you would have known that had you not been a lazy ass poster and done a few searches first!

P.S. there is a good book by Patrick Weldon, as well as a new video from Norm Kent on the market today that with a little searching one could buy them and learn a hell of a lot.

Have a nice day.

"what else do I need to be careful of...??"

firstly.. be careful of taking the approach....
"well I've done this before, and so i can easily do it again"..

we're not riding a bicycle here skylark [:/]

CURRENCY is certainly at the forefront,,, before adding a camera....

Despite what others may have posted,, ( Even Though they are Correct ),,, I'm not gonna blast you.... about searching for your answers....

THAT is more for Real specific questions, and yours is a "general" type of inquiry...

Only No deal..... right Now as far as adding a camera....

First you need to re -aquaint yourself with the sky..... and with your past jump history,, that should not be tooooo much of an issue...

only then, might you START to think about a camera... or two.;).... Fifty to a Hundred jumps More,,,,, sounds about right.....

Some things have changed in the last 3 years..:|... helmets and camera boxes have come along, so that riser snags are less frequent....
though you can still expect a slap or two, on any sidemount... I never have jumped one, and have been comfortable for the last 12 years, with a top mount arrangement.....AND even those can take a hit or two from opening... I've had a lens or two get knocked off and lost the viewfinder from a VX 1000... thanks to that...>:(

For sure... you need to plan to spend some $$$$$. if you wanna get into camera flying,, even if it IS only for creating a personal video log, of some of your jumps.. The $$$$ will be first invested to get current and comfortable,,, and then you'll need to explore the multitude of cameras AND helmets...
Some cameras can be side mount OR top mounted, Others can only be top mounted.. ( it's a size issue )...

so get out to your DZ of choice,,, be pleasant, get current, and keep your eyes and ears open
as you SEE and HEAR what's going on in the way of skydiving camera "technology"....
like all disciplines of our sport.. there are constant changes and "upgrades"....
speak with your local camera folks and then proceed accordingly...

Oh and SURE>>>>>>> you can always come back here and ask questions....
While some here are understandably impatient , and maybe even resistant to what they see as laziness....others could be more willing to address your concerns...
Now, go get your reserve repacked, and have at IT!!!!!

skydive softly, skydive often, skydive with friends

jmy

:$:$

brilliant....??? not me...
BUT....
brilliant IS what you and others can find , here in the forums,,,,
from others, Far Far more capable than me...

you see the technology races on, and frankly, i feel like i'm being "left in the dust".. [:/]
Fortunately for you AND me, many here are very very knowledgeable about the fine details of camera work AND editing, and have addressed lots of tech. topics in a friendly and cooperative way...:) You'll come to learn about the many great individuals, who post here...

as for cameras,
More specifically,,
it's been found that Sony makes a rugged and dependable enough camera for freefall... the mini dv Tape. is preffered and sony makes a few diffferent "series". the DCR PC line and the DCR TRV line have always been tried and true.
Now there is the HDR HC series,,, 1, 3, 5, 7 which offer mini dv AND high definition....I have learned from reading here,, that DVD and hard drive cameras,, while fine on the gorund , do not perform well waaay above sea level.. the drives struggle, skip and record poorly..... Direct to memory stick cameras,,, may prove usable....time will tell...

Anyway..
Spend some time skydiving again,,, better get comfortable with flat flying AND head down.:)Re-familiarize yourself with your "Kit"...:D;) the handle locations,, the canopy characteristics, and with your emergency procedures... maybe think about getting an audible ( if you don't have one ) to complement a wrist alti. or a chest mounted altimeter...distractions increase when you become a camera person, to the point where you ARE doing 3 or 4 things at once... ( moving, firing stills, looking for the sun,,,anticipating the next point, WATCHING out !!!:oB|:SB| for those who are fixated on the dive, and NOT even aware of where YOU are... checking the spot, trying to center you subject WITH the airport below, "in frame"..)... lots of things...
So get relaxed again, in the air , BEFORE
you ADD to it.....

get current and seek the endorsment of your DZO and of the respected Instructors at your place, and they may be able to help you decide just when it IS right. to add a video camera....

have fun,,, stay safe...... and we'll go through this WHOLE thing AGAIN....!!!!:ph34r::DB|:)

jimmy
Gwings Dwings DDwings 36 hrFF 4 stack 930

Brilliant! We have a winner....at last someone polite enough to give me some constructive advice and address the questions I asked. Thanks Jimmy, much appreciated.

You were the first to get all salty!
go read your 2nd post.

Stratostar may have sounded a bit disgruntled but your reply was pretty ridiculous. Ever see the term RTFM?

Your question has been asked 1000 times. If you took the time to RTFM (the sticky posts) you would have realized that.

this thread is a time waster since all you have to do is READ THE FUCKING MANUAL. In the case the manual is this forum.
My photos

My Videos

Brilliant! We have a winner....at last someone polite enough to give me some constructive advice and address the questions I asked. Thanks Jimmy, much appreciated.

Normally, I'd delete this post, but it might serve as a deterrent to someone else displaying a cavalier attitude.
Strat, Jimmy, etc are all guys that have not only a lot of experience, but also have watched people end up in not-so-good situations because they didn't fully research and/or understand what they were about to do.
We've all had "o shit" moments with our canopies and cameras, but spending time on the ground looking into the potential problems helps to reduce those moments to the absolute minimums.

Sorry for being a dickhead in this thread, but it just seems like it's time to add a "read this before posting here" because it just seems that too many noobies don't bother to read the stickies at the top of the page and it's gets really really old seeing the same simple questions being asked by those who are new but to lazy to search or read the stickies. As the new moderator of this fourm maybe you can think up a good way of getting this message across to other new visitors, and then we would feel the need to be so blunt in our replies, it's not like the info people seek is some big secret you have to shell out a grand to buy a password to get it in the forums.