videointhesky

Sony GV-HD700 HDV Video Walkman VCR

Not sure how to comment, it's just a deck with a small monitor, you could use it for capture/Xfer, and yes...it looks great on the monitor. It's a quarter-way decent field monitor, but I prefer either my 17" production monitor or my laptop running Revolution or OnLocation.
The deck would be good for a DZ to have as an Xfer station for the editors.

I second DSE's comments.

As a deck to save time on your camera's heads it's a great idea. I'd like to have one sitting at home to transfer video into the computer rather than having to set up, hook up, tear down, the camera each time... plus plugging the thing in is nice to save batteries for shooting.

The ones i've seen have stood up to some good use/abuse... not like getting run over by a car or anything, but just lasting a good while if cared for nicely. we've got a DV walkman at the station for easy injest into our system for mini-dv video or dubs.

Matt

This bothers me.

From Sony:
"Crystal Clear Still/Slow Motion Playback
Digital video provides noise free playback in slow motion and in the pause mode for detailed playback. Available in Standard Definition only."

Have the same slow-mo problem just like the HD camcorders have.

it's available in SD only because of the GOP structure of MPEG.
HD camcorders have a different issue. Playback requires no buffering for slomo. Recording requires a large buffer for recording slomo.
Most HD camcorders split resolution in half for good slomo.