ltdiver

New Skysystems Vapor Released!

The prototype didn't have a cutaway, but I had talked to Doug Park about it at PIA. I got the impression they'd be designing a cutaway into the helmet.

I received my new Vapor helmet last weekend. Overall I'm happy with the design, fit, and finish, but I haven't had a chance to jump it yet.

It has no cutaway system. It seems a Bonehead Optik cutaway system would mount on here without a problem though... with the cutaway handle sticking out of the underside of the bone, releasing the ratchet strap's bolt if cutaway were pulled.

The audile pocket is inside the helmet, it slides into a pocket in the left removable padding piece. It stays in place with no problem, more secure than the little cup area on my Optik.

Minor finish point difference that I noticed between the FTP and the Vapor: The FTP uses a plastic molding piece around the face opening to finish the rough edges... same as on the Optik. The Vapor however, simply rolls the carbon fiber in so it's not a rough edge. It looks smoother than the FTP in that area to me. The fewer parts the better IMO if no functiionality is sacificed.

I still haven't mounted cameras to the top plate or finished the top plate... any advice on the best way to cut down the plate to size after I get the camera placement figured out? I'm not sure what kind of saw works best for a smooth cut on this CF plate.

Minor finish point difference that I noticed between the FTP and the Vapor: The FTP uses a plastic molding piece around the face opening to finish the rough edges... same as on the Optik. The Vapor however, simply rolls the carbon fiber in so it's not a rough edge. It looks smoother than the FTP in that area to me. The fewer parts the better IMO if no functiionality is sacificed.

When I built my CCM (which like the Vapor was designed by Wes) I did it that same way. I wouldn't even know where to get that plastic molding, nor did I need to find out. B|

I still haven't mounted cameras to the top plate or finished the top plate... any advice on the best way to cut down the plate to size after I get the camera placement figured out? I'm not sure what kind of saw works best for a smooth cut on this CF plate.

When I cut large plates of carbon fiber for my CCM, I used both hacksaw and dremel wheel. You can use regular sandpaper or a dremel drum to fine tune your cuts. Word of advice: if you do any heavy grinding or cutting (using the dremel wheel or drum or any other power tool) do it OUTSIDE. I mean that. I did a bunch of carbon fiber cutting in my garage and tried to contain my work area to one "corner" of the garage. Within a day, every single horizontal surface in my garage was covered in black dust that is both irritating to skin and lungs (but probably not seriously harmful, so they say). And I mean EVERY horizontal surface. Cans of food, stacks of boxes, EVERYTHING.

You cannot sweep this dust away. You cannot blow it away. It will go right back to where you tried to move it from, it is so fine. The only way to get rid of it is with a wet rag and a mop. It took me days to clean my garage and get rid of the black dust.

Do it outside.

When you're done cutting clean your part with soapy water and a toothbrush. Interesting thing... after cutting a carbon fiber plate, sand the edge as smooth as you possibly can. Go up to 1200 grit if you want. After that get it as clean as possible. Then dry it. Then lick your finger and rub it down the cut edge. You will end up with black on your finger. Just another example of how pervasive and TINY that black dust is. The only way to truly get it off your cut parts is to seal them with something. I just left it though.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Word of advice: if you do any heavy grinding or cutting (using the dremel wheel or drum or any other power tool) do it OUTSIDE.

Thanks for pointing that out. I was planning on doing it in the garage :o

Your story reminds me of my first experience with finishing sheet rock. I'd sanded down the mud on the seams for our basement walls. White dust migrated to every part of the house & settled on everything. That was before I learned the beauty of wet sanding :)

Chris

Just another example of how pervasive and TINY that black dust is. The only way to truly get it off your cut parts is to seal them with something. I just left it though.

On that note, don't have your cameras anywhere near by. That dust will kill a camera.
LifeshouldNOTbeajourneytothegravewithawellpreservedbody,buttskidinsideways,cigarinone hand,martiniintheother,bodythoroughlyused upandscreaming:"WOO HOO!! What a ride!!!"

I LOVE this helmet. SO comfortable.

Really like how the top plate is accessed with the side screws, vs top. The plate is super wide, The angle is a smidge more flat than my old FTP, meaning I have to hold my chin up just a bit more on the tandem videos, but it's an easy change. With the chin guard coming up a bit higher than the FTP it can be tricky to put my tounge switch in my mouth, but not too bad. The best bit is how wide the face opening is. I wear glasses and this is the first camera helmet I've owned that doesn't make the glasses a hassle.:)
Well done SkySystems!

----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

What bite/tongue switch are you using? The angle it *appears* to be wrenched at when you have it on looks like it may cause some future issues with the wiring in the switch...

I only bring it up because it has happened already to me on my FTP... but I had slightly modified the liner, for comfort purposes. It seemed to be almost identical to how yours is looking... I was using a bite switch.
It's all fun and until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

does it have 1 or 2 audible pockets?

anyone going to be using an "L" bracket for still on their set up?

whats it weigh compared to the FTP?

-Bowen
Retired Tunnel Instructor, Sky/Tunnel Coach

Former dealer for 2k Composites, Skysystems, Alti-2, Wings

Weight was a few ounces lighter than my FTP, but my FTP was an old design and they are now lighter. I'd say they're about the same.

L bracket for stills might be difficult, as the "forehead" of the helmet is curved. That's why the plate sticks out so far, you can "hang" your stills from it, or if you top mount everything like I did, trim it off.

Mine came with one pocket, but 2 would be a cinch if requested I'm sure.

JP: Is it easy to screw/unscrew a camera mounted on top? Or do you have to unfasten the whole top plate to access it's underside? And the final question, does the top plate somehow have a "floor" under itself, so if you cut a hole in the top plate you won't have direct access to your melon?

:)

"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

The way mine is set up, I can access the screws holding the cameras in place without removing the plate. There is a thin pad that goes between the top of your head and the bottom of the plate, but I've found this to be unnecessary so I've left it out. I've never seen a top mount helmet that had the "floor" as you describe.

Thanks! :)
Any other pros/cons you've found out? Theres only this thread that has any info except skysystems.

"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

The first version was glas fiber with a top plate of carbon. The second version was full carbon. The top plate is detachable.
www.lilchief.no