ltdiver

New Skysystems Vapor Released!

I've been clicking on their web site ever since seeing DSE's PIA videos, in hopes that their new Vapor helmet would be released. I clicked today and walla! It's there! What a beautiful helmet! B|

http://www.skysystemsusa.com/helmets/camera_helmets.html

Now to save up my pennies (again).

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

We had a prototype when working on Norman Kent's camera DVD; it was very nice looking, very comfortable to wear. I didn't get the opportunity to jump with it, however.
the final product looks just a little different than the prototypes with a more sleek brow.
I do wish the plate was slightly more wide, over hanging the sides. A custom cut fiber plate is only about 100.00.
Am I missing information about colors or custom paint?

Am I missing information about colors or custom paint?

I was wondering the same thing. Perhaps they're still adding to the page. If you notice, the clickey for the sizing chart is missing from the Vapor Wes Pro, but it's on the Narrow's page.

Now for the question I asked them way back when. Is the helmet just one shell, with foam fillers to make up the different sizes, or do they have different size shells?

I ask, because I have an small head and don't want all that foam expanding and contracting going up to altitude and back down. Can you imagine resizing an XL down to an XS size! All that foam!

ltdiver

The prototype didn't have a cutaway, but I had talked to Doug Park about it at PIA. I got the impression they'd be designing a cutaway into the helmet.
I stopped by the shop last month to look at the status of the helmet, but with Nationals going on plus a bunch of people in town for special events, we didn't get to spend much time. Hopefully someone will take delivery on one and can report first hand?:)

Now for the question I asked them way back when. Is the helmet just one shell, with foam fillers to make up the different sizes, or do they have different size shells?

I ask, because I have an small head and don't want all that foam expanding and contracting going up to altitude and back down. Can you imagine resizing an XL down to an XS size! All that foam!

ltdiver

It seems that its foam...
http://www.skysystemsusa.com/helmets/HelmetSizing.htm

Vapor Camera Helmets.

The vapor series of camera helmets comes with padding that can be inserted or removed. When fitting the helmet, it should be padded so that your chin comes all the way forward into the chin cup. A tighter fit in the helmet means less movement on your head.

Yes, I saw that. However, when I e-mailed back and forth with them (after PIA) they assured me that they'd have different size shells.

Since they were still in the prototype phase it may be that they were speaking prematurely. I've just e-mailed them and will post what they say when I receive a reply. It's Thanksgiving, so most likely the earliest will be next week.

ltdiver

Any idea if there's a full face version (with a visor)? I have seen one jumper with a sky systems full face flat top helmet... a prototype I'm sure. Looked like a factory diver with a big flat top. That's the one I'm waiting for...

Dave

I too have seen a few with a visor in them.I spoke with Doug about this but don't know if they will offer it. The good news though is that you can take a regular replacement shield and with a dremel tool, shape it to fit into a BH Flattop pro or other fullface camera helmet pretty easily. So if they don't ever sell them that way, its an easy "do it yourself" job.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Brian Buckland (Team Mandrin) jumps a prototype Vapor that he fitted with a replacement Oxygn visor. That may be the helmet you're thinking of.

Anyway, I'm glad to see this helmet on the market now. The more platform helmet designs out there, the better my chance of finding one that really fits my head well.

I have one of the original Vapors that Sky Systems produced. It's almost five years old now. One problem I had with it was the external audible port. I lost two ProTracs because of it. Does anyone know if the new Vapor has been redesigned to have an internal port now?

Tubing, so easy a caveman can do it.

Website says internal audible pocket. I just wish they made them bigger then XL. I tried on of their older XL sized models and it in no way would fit over my big melon and pointy chin.:( Too bad because I really liked their design and construction.

50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I think the external audible ports are also becoming more problematic with the various new sized dytters. The holes all seem to be designed for the 'old' bigger protrack/dytters.

So in short...internal audible pockets..awesome!
I really like the Vapor Narrow. Seems like a a really good low profile helmet for everyday use in wingsuit flying.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

e-mail back from skysystems today

Thank you for your inquiry and your interest in Sky Systems products!

Currently, each version of the Vapor has one shell size which is adjusted
via the liner. As both of these helmets are very new, we are initiating
their production in this manner so that they are marketable to the widest
audience possible. If we do see that there is a larger market for the
smaller sizes, then we will look into producing a shell that is more
specifically designed for those sizes.

If this is a very real concern for you, perhaps you may be interested in our
Nvertigo V. It is the latest in our open-face camera headgear and features
three different shell sizes. It is not yet available; but we hope to have
the first run complete by Christmas.

We have recently developed a quick release system as an accessory for these
helmets. It is available for $25.00 and will be added to our website very
soon.

Custom colors are available on all of our helmets. Prices start at $30.00
for single colors and will vary due to specific color and design.

I hope this answers your questions. Please feel free to contact us again if
there is any additional information you would like.

Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Amy Gunderson
Office Assistant
Sky Systems USA
phone 386.734.6001
fax 386.734.9060
www.skysystemsusa.com

So, how many XS and S melons do we have out there that want a smaller size? :)(only small noggin people can possibly know what this is like. For once, you big-headed people are one up on us....) :S

ltdiver