markovwgti

Mounting a Canon SD450

I have a Optik Illusion helmet....i cant really afford the camcorder i prefer at the moment but i was wondering if it would be a ok idea to mount my canon sd450 on a goldmember on top of my optik illusion helmet! Just to take a few videos of doing a few freefly jumps and 2-3 ways...and tkaing pictures in the plane and landscapes!

Just something to do while im bored!
Cheap and Quick!

You can't afford a sub $200 camcorder off ebay but you can afford a $100 Goldmember? :S

Have you looked at the SIM to see that it mentions 200 jumps as the starting point for attaching a camera to your helmet?

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

why would i waste 200$ on a shitty camcorder when im planning on getting a good one when the time comes? I haven't updated my jump numbers in a long time....

Now would be a good time to update your #'s and help avoid the "you should not jump a camera" comment.

Remembering the P-N-S Canon I don't remember a shutter plug but I might be wrong.

Why would you be wasting sub $200 as you can get a HC30/40/32/42 on E-bay in many cases for under 200 and that is a very commonly used camera for Video guys. I use a HC40 both for outside vid and for hand cam and my videos seem to be acceptable. The monkeying you might have to do with the P-N-S canon might really not be worth it. Even if it is there you still need a $50 plug, yes you can make one for less and I know there are a good number of threads out there talking bout it.

Getting the correct tool for the job sometimes will save in the long run ;)

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

im just going to stick with what my original plan was...its goning to be a total of like 500$ to buy a a camcorder and a mount..and then lens and other stuff....ill just stick with the goldmember since i already have 2 cameras i can throw on it for now...ill let you guys know how it works out

Cheap and easy, Why don't you just skip the goldmember and bolt it directly onto the top of your optic? The fiberglass is really not that thick and I'm sure you can grab a bolt that fits through the helmet and properly thread into the mount. Contact cement some rubber on the top so it stays steady. Don't over tighten.

As far as a remote switch, skip that too, just press the button in freefall. Good training for when your remote switch breaks or you forget to plug it in. :S But really teaches you how to fly good B| (super hard to get good shots this way, think we've all tried)

HYPOXIC

Cheap and easy, Why don't you just skip the goldmember and bolt it directly onto the top of your optic? The fiberglass is really not that thick and I'm sure you can grab a bolt that fits through the helmet and properly thread into the mount. Contact cement some rubber on the top so it stays steady. Don't over tighten.

As far as a remote switch, skip that too, just press the button in freefall. Good training for when your remote switch breaks or you forget to plug it in. :S But really teaches you how to fly good B| (super hard to get good shots this way, think we've all tried)

great idea ill give it a shot adn tell you how ti works out....and ill make sure to tell everyone at my DZ that you told me it was a good idea to try...another smart skydiver in the comunity!

Apparently you didn't get my meaning.
The cork helps hold the camera in place so it doesn't shift around on the top of the helmet. You'll still need to drill a hole in the helmet for the thumbscrew to pass through. Hopefully you'll figure out that you want a fender washer inside the helmet to distribute some of the weight/angle from the camera/screw passing through the helmet and into the camcorder.

well i was thinking maybe drill some screws through the camera and right into the helmet..

To get the alignment correct, you need to be wearing the helmet as you drill through the camera into the helmet.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

well i rushed into it and now that i thought about it....i just put a bid on a nice hc-40 on ebay for 150 bucks...and im gona pick up a cookie hc-40 box to mount on the side of my helmet...total of about 350-400$ for the camera and box...not to much after all...im going to keep the goldmember since im planning on doing a camera on the top anyways in the future...thanks for the help guys!!

I appreciate it!