mailin

Canon support?

I just got a killer deal on a Canon Rebel XTi...

Only what was shipped to me was the Canon Kiss Digital X, the Japanese version of the same camera...

I made a bad mistake of not researching the retailer (dbuys.com) prior to my purchase, I went off price alone and got a good deal, so I thought.

I'm worried about warranty repairs. Since its the japanese version I'm not sure if I would have to ship it to japan and pay an outrageous amount of money.

I could fight with the retailer to return it but I just found out their return policy has a 15% restocking fee :S>:(

Anyone have experience with a situation like this?

Jen

PS. No, its not a jump camera, just looking for advice from people who have camera experience... Thanks all! :)
Arianna Frances

I just got off the phone with Canon USA and although my camera is the japanese version since it was purchased in the US and I have a receipt stating so he has never heard of warranty repairs not be done...

... but they reserve the right to refuse it. The customer service rep I spoke with said he's been there 7 years and has never heard of someone being turned away.

Just an FYI for anyone who may run into this issue.

I'm off to play! ;)

Arianna Frances

Buy your equipment from a reputable dealer like adorama camera or b & h and you won't have those problems.It is well worth it in the long run trust me! :)

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

...but look at the bright side of it.
You got an awesome deal, and most likely the camera won't break for a long long time. By the time you would need to repair it you'll going to update anyway (hopefully).
I bit the crap out of my XT, and it still works without any problem.
-Laszlo-

Thats what I'm banking on actually. The XTi (or Digital X in this case) is still an entry level dSLR.

I bought this camera specifically for pet photography - I've got a bit of a knack for it and the previous SLR (non-digital) that I had was fabulous but the cost of development and lag time was higher than just going digital when I had to upgrade.

The ease of adjusting ISO and WB is great and this morning I had a great session with two cats who were less than enthusiastic participants and it actually turned out so much better than expected.

I tried calling dbuys when I got home yesterday and they didn't answer despite it being within hours... actually I've called 4 times and only once did they answer and that was because I got the CS managers number from another source. He then spent the next 4 minutes trying to sell me everything from an extra batter to bags (both of which I purchased somewhere else).

Shipping was fast though - but I'm only in RI and they're in NYC. I don't buy equipment often so I do alot of shopping around and I learned from this one...

Thanks for the help!
Arianna Frances

I have ordered from them before and got USA manufactured items. I think ownership has changed as I too bought the same camera and returned in yesterday. Amazon and B and H have USA camera for 20 bucks more then I paid. If you paid with a CC contact the CC Company and contest the restocking fee as the website states "shop with confidence all items covered by a full USA manufactured warranty. This is false advertising and gives you the right to contest the charges. The warranty card attached is covered by dbuys and not Canon. The guys I spoke to at canon said no repairs would be covered as it was a grey market item. They would fix it but all expenses would need to be covered by me. When I got a hold of someone at dbuys I explained the error to the CS guy who gave me a RMA number with in minutes. Was on hold for roughly 10 minutes waiting for someone to pick up and called at 10:00. He did offer me a free 3 year warranty to keep the camera but I just told him no thanks. Hope this helps….